Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 05:54 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,885,870 times

Advertisements

A newer Hyundai Accent can be had for that price with low miles. Great mileage, ultra reliable, cheap on insurance and pretty comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 05:58 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,489,188 times
A civic or corrola in that arrange can be as tight as new if keepup .

Old 07-06-2009, 06:05 PM

17,113 posts, read 56,725,836 times
Caution, how long do you plan to own this heap, and how important is MPG to you?

If MPG is not that big a deal, yeah, the big old Lincoln is a classic good buy in a used car.

Buddy of mine is planning to offload a 95 Taurus, air quit working but otherwise it drives and runs, not that bad cosmetically - he bought it with working air for $1000 - probably will sell for about $500. Air can be fixed for something like $500. Bit thirsty if you drive it in town all the time (15 MPG) but on the highway, as in a kid driving to school somewhere out of town, it ain't bad (25 MPG).

Another bud bought a 95 Cougar for $400, everything works, but it is sunburnt to the point the rear bumper cover has holes in it - clear coat is about shot - but the air works, 4.6L, smooth as silk.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:55 PM

1,765 posts, read 7,303,386 times
actually MPG isn't a big deal, as long as it's at least in the teens

i think the crown vic is awesome too, but they are popular in the south, that makes them more expensive.

this is a car that will put around for 3-5 years and that's it.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:09 PM

11,154 posts, read 29,146,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
actually MPG isn't a big deal, as long as it's at least in the teens

i think the crown vic is awesome too, but they are popular in the south, that makes them more expensive.

this is a car that will put around for 3-5 years and that's it.
have you checked out a local police auction they have really good deals on used interceptor crown vics and thet have all the heavy duty stuff on them for durability

Old 07-06-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
have you checked out a local police auction they have really good deals on used interceptor crown vics and thet have all the heavy duty stuff on them for durability
Yeah and no. If you can get an ex-Chief car, it's a good deal. A lot of old patrol cars are pretty well used up. And that's from a guy who is heavily into driving old cars up into big mileage...

Old 07-06-2009, 07:39 PM

1,765 posts, read 7,303,386 times
I searched and searched for a used (federal / GSA) P71 Crown Vic a few years ago. For a teen, that car is a no go.

I found a Acura Vigor to go check out. I've never owned an Acura, but I'm a big Honda fan. I'll have to read up on the Vigor quirks-- it has to have some, lol.

One side effect of "the internet" is that prized used cars get snapped up, even from miles away, shortly after listing. Every time over the past month I get a hit on a model known to be "good" it's gone before I even reply to the advert.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
I searched and searched for a used (federal / GSA) P71 Crown Vic a few years ago. For a teen, that car is a no go.

I found a Acura Vigor to go check out. I've never owned an Acura, but I'm a big Honda fan. I'll have to read up on the Vigor quirks-- it has to have some, lol.

One side effect of "the internet" is that prized used cars get snapped up, even from miles away, shortly after listing. Every time over the past month I get a hit on a model known to be "good" it's gone before I even reply to the advert.
Yeah, with the economy bad like it is, a good, cheap used car is in demand.

You may have to look for a car with needs that you think you can handle yourself for small money, or something old enough that other buyers are afraid to fool with it.

Maybe you can find a senior with a good old big car, who does not have an internet-savvy kid handy to sell it.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:48 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,302,854 times
If your budget is $4k look for a car that is in the $2500-$3000 range. Typically a used car bought for that cheap will require some upkeep.

Can you work on cars? Have you ever done things like brakes, spark plugs, of that sort? Depending on where you are located look at Volvos, they will last a long time. I'd look for a '98 S/V70, that is the best model and year Volvo made as far as reliability vs. ergonomics goes (stay away from the AWDs though).

Subaru's are good too although I know there is a specific engine to avoid. Might want to research that.

I pay around $17/month for 50/100 insurance on my Volvo. They are cheap to insure and have as beaters.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:34 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,756,174 times
You could look at big pickups too. If you're riding around in 6000# of steel surrounded by 3000# cars, you'll only bounce around inside the cab 25% as hard as anybody who hits you.

For $4K, you could find an 89-93 dodge diesel that will get about 20mpg, and the drivetrain will last longer than the body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive