Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 03:51 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,921,261 times

Advertisements

OP, have you checked out the edmundscar.com site? It's very helpful with their information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 04:27 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
I have only had Honda's from 1980 til now. In 1980 living in the east, and Honda was new to this
there were minor issues, and then we had rust to deal with. In the south, my CRV is going on 8 yrs
and looks as great as the day I did buy it. I respect, the Honda quality, and the lasting quality.
I would look at a civic, around 2 years old, and it should be good to last along time. You might even
buy new, but that now days is a waste. The fit is small, but you also could get one brand new when
the 2010 models come out. The fit does have a great safety rating, reminds me of the civic b4 they made it bigger! The best way is get a 2009,
when 2010 models are out. The civic, if you find one used, with the peson you get it from doing what honda does say, should last along while for you!

Last edited by maggiekate; 07-12-2009 at 04:42 PM..

Old 07-12-2009, 06:47 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,287,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicejb View Post
OP, have you checked out the edmundscar.com site? It's very helpful with their information.
NO, I am unfamiliar with that site. Thanks, I will check it out.

Thanks also to all that have posted! I really do appreciate all the info!

Old 07-12-2009, 07:54 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
They are great cars, but this is a little misleading because they are not completely trouble free. I owned a 1990 Honda Prelude and it had all kinds trouble, such as overheating, and soon after the transmission went bad. The Toyota's I had were relatively good, but they had their issues too. For example, I was driving my 1988 Supra and all of a sudden I heard this strange noise, and I saw something fall on the street from my car. When I opened the hood, to my horror I found the water pump had self destructed sending the engine fan through the radiator, it even ruined the fan shroud among other things. It was over $2,000 to fix as the parts were very expensive. Now, I bought all my Honda's and Toyota's used so I do not know their prior history. I am thinking you have bought all your cars brand new, and religiously maintained them so you have had a really good experience. But, remember this person is going to be buying a car used like I have in the past.
I had an 1986 prelude, and then the 1991 prelude, both were great cars. No problems, I did trade for the crv because I was moving, and the prelude had no a/c but it was not needed
in the north! the crv was when they first did come out, and now have this crc 2002. i did buy my cars new, and did follow the honda guide lines for the car.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:56 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Two words: Toyota.....Honda

Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Why not look around and find an awesome Honda Civic and pay cash for it?

Eff payments.
Another good idea. Cash is king, however the OP seems to be looking for something new/or Certified Pre-owned. I do agree with F'ing the payments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
OK, now I am scared!
Don't be. Things can and will happen regardless. Some cars more than others. The examples displayed was a small sample of a few Avalons with issues. Most Avalons, well maintained are great performers. I for one can attest to it. I've owned just about every model Camry and 2 Avalons. I'm a car guy, and will tell you Toyota and Hondas are great cars.

Now, you say you have $5k, for your down payment. I have been observing Hyundais for a while. They have been good performers. I know people who have late 90s, early 21st Century Hyundais that are impressing me. Reliable, and holding up well.

Look into the Hyundai, as well. They offer great deals, great warranties and they have a $1.49/gallon promotion for a year. Try combining the $5000, with the government voucher and put that as a down on a new Hyundai. Try not to exceed $13k-$15k, and look into the voucher, plus your down.

I actually need more information about the voucher. I have a friend that's looking for a Hyundai, since their promos have been pretty good lately. The Elantra and Sonata are great options.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:40 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,859,644 times
Before buying ANY used car, have the dealer run a CarFax on it. You can run it yourself for a fee. It will tell you the complete history of the car, all maintainance done, if it had been totalled, everything. It is well worth the money. I love my 1996 Camry and my daughter loves her 2001 Corolla. No problems with either. Husband drives a 2003 Tacoma. Check for cars on the internet first. We found the Tacoma on line at a local dealership listed for $2000 less than the dealership price. We took a copy of the listing with us. They tried to sell us a different truck, but we insisted on that one. I can't believe we had to pay $10,000 for a 5 year old truck!

Old 07-12-2009, 10:41 PM

I have not heard about vouchers. I will DEFINITELY be looking into that!

Old 07-13-2009, 02:39 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,670,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
I have not heard about vouchers. I will DEFINITELY be looking into that!
The program is called Cash for Clunkers and if your old car fits the criteria you can get $3500. to $4500. for your old vehicle. It begins around July 24th, but once the money is gone it's gone. Here's the link:

http://www.cashforclunkersfacts.com/

Old 07-13-2009, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the info! I wish I had an old clunker to trade in!

Old 07-13-2009, 04:42 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,985 times
I chime in with the others - you can get a GREAT used car for $5000. No need to make payments. Nissan's are also great cars - we have 200K on ours right now and it's running like a champ! You may also get a good deal from a dealership that doesn't sell the brand of used car you are looking at - they want to get them off the lot.

Good luck and have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive