Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:16 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times

Advertisements

Our 2007 Honda CRV is about ready for some new rubbers. As of now it rides on 225/65/R17 Bridgestone Dueler H/T's.

According to Walmart.com, they have 4 different tires that will fit the Honda, but only recommends one of them because it's rated as an actual SUV tire. The tire they recommend is a Goodyear Fortera TripleTred and it sells for $190 a piece. Here's a link to it: Walmart.com: Tires

And here's the lesser expensive tire offered by Goodyear as a replacement: Walmart.com: Tires

I know the tires are what connects you to the road and is not exactly an area to skimp out on, but my question is just how important is it to spend $190 a pop on an actual SUV tire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 11:25 AM

602 posts, read 2,034,241 times
My Jeep has the same size tires and I put these on it:

Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S

So far, they've been excellent and I really recommend them.

As for whether or not to go with SUV/Truck tires, I don't know. What kind of driving do you mostly? Whereabouts do you live?
I live in an area where we get our fair share of snow and the snow removal here sucks. I occasionally do some driving on dirt roads. If all you do is city driving and you live some place warm and dry, regular car tires might be fine. If you live in Florida or someplace like that, a tire thats good in the rain might be more of what you need.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:33 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truemuck View Post
My Jeep has the same size tires and I put these on it:

Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S

So far, they've been excellent and I really recommend them.

As for whether or not to go with SUV/Truck tires, I don't know. What kind of driving do you mostly? Whereabouts do you live?
I live in an area where we get our fair share of snow and the snow removal here sucks. I occasionally do some driving on dirt roads. If all you do is city driving and you live some place warm and dry, regular car tires might be fine. If you live in Florida or someplace like that, a tire thats good in the rain might be more of what you need.
I run these on my f-250 and they are awsome they get my through mud snow and still have been on for 4 years now. I run 35" tires

Last edited by GTOlover; 07-12-2009 at 11:53 AM..

Old 07-12-2009, 11:40 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
A $190 per tire is way way to much for even a quality tire. also what's an SUV tire anyway? I drive a Suburban and it's as SUV as they get but have never bought a tire for it that labled Suv only. Somebody is pulling your leg at Wal mart.

I'd suggest that you visit an independent tire dealer to look for either Cooper or
Kelly-Springfield tires. Both are are smaller American tire makers that make one heck of a great tire for any car you could own that are more reasonably priced. Independent's also sell Bridgestone tires so you can choose them too.

In any case shop around for your next tires 'cause that $190 per tire price to me is a rip off.

Tip: while you're at it buy a good tire pressure gage and use it regularly to keep those tires inflated to the proper psi both for wear and gas MPG. Tire PSI is one of the cheapest and best ways to make your tires last and visit the gas pump less. Believe it or not.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:49 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times
I've always had good luck with Kellys. They are a much better tire than the price suggests. I've also had Coopers and Goodyears, they've never done me wrong, either. Right now I have the Bridgestone A/T's and I love them, although they are a bit loud. That's my only complaint.

I don't think you really need an "SUV" tire, especially for as small a truck as the CRV. Consider how you use it, and buy tires accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Tip: while you're at it buy a good tire pressure gage and use it regularly to keep those tires inflated to the proper psi both for wear and gas MPG. Tire PSI is one of the cheapest and best ways to make your tires last and visit the gas pump less. Believe it or not.
This is WAAAY more important than an "SUV" rating.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:51 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Walmart is a fine place to buy a lot of stuff but not the ideal place for tire choice or price.

See if you have an Americas or Discount Tire outlet in your area. They will usually match Tire Rack prices and in fact you can call them (Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels) for excellent advice as to tire and installer.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:27 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
The only thing that really makes a tire a SUV (or truck) tire is its load rating. Many passenger car tires do not have a load rating high enough to be used on a SUV or truck based on the vehicle manufacturer's ratings.

The Fortera Triple Tread is a very good tire. It has been highly rated by Consumer Reports. We have them on our Honda Pilot and they are vastly better than the Goodyear Integrity tires that were OEM. The Triple Tread is noticably better handling with better wet and dry traction. It also has relatively long wear. The OEM tires were gone at 35K miles. We just replaced the front Triple Tread tires at 85K miles.

Don't think for an instant that Cooper (or other "US" brands) are actually American tires. Many of these tires are actually Chinese made. Look at their website and you will see Chinese manufacturing locations.

I think that a SUV driven on pavement most of the time should have either all season or mud and snow tread designs instead of off road treads. Tires like the Geolander are available with different tread designs.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:36 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Thank you for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truemuck View Post

The CRV is mostly road driving. We don't off road with it. We do have some gravel roads around here we might have to go down once in awhile. We live in rural Missouri. We do get snow here. The CRV is an AWD vehicle and also serves as the family car.

The only reason we've considered Wal mart is because my wife is a penny pincher and also because that's one of the few places she'd be willing to go. Trying to convince her we "need" $190 a pop tires to her is nuts.

Plus were about to embark on an upcoming road trip to her family who lives on the east coast of NC, otherwise I'd consider buying from tire rack and either installing them myself or paying someone to do it.

I've considered the $105 Goodyears. However I was not sure since the CRV is an AWD SUV if it really had to have the $190 Goodyear tires. The $105 Goodyears are rated as a passenger car tire.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:39 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
My wife has a 2004 CRV and I replaced her original tires with General Altimax RT. Same size as yours and I only paid $320 out the door. They were highly rated at several tire sites and they grip very well in wet weather. There is no reason to pay $195 a tire for a CRV.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:16 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Thank you for the responses.

The CRV is mostly road driving. We don't off road with it. We do have some gravel roads around here we might have to go down once in awhile. We live in rural Missouri. We do get snow here. The CRV is an AWD vehicle and also serves as the family car.

The only reason we've considered Wal mart is because my wife is a penny pincher and also because that's one of the few places she'd be willing to go. Trying to convince her we "need" $190 a pop tires to her is nuts.

Plus were about to embark on an upcoming road trip to her family who lives on the east coast of NC, otherwise I'd consider buying from tire rack and either installing them myself or paying someone to do it.

I've considered the $105 Goodyears. However I was not sure since the CRV is an AWD SUV if it really had to have the $190 Goodyear tires. The $105 Goodyears are rated as a passenger car tire.
I've found that there is a way to get a tire that's tough as nails and a good price. Shop for tire that are made for "extra load" . These can be car or truck tires designed for heavier loading with no compromise in ride or performance. Ask for these tires THEN MAKE 110% SURE THEY SAY"EXTRA LOAD" ON THE TIRE SIDEWALL BEFORE THEY ARE MOUNTED!! I get twice the life with no performance problems at all cheaper than truck tires on my Suburban and a great ride all round.

Since "extra load" tires are not that well known they often are a huge bargain since they don't pay to advertise them at all anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive