U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 01:12 PM

5,864 posts, read 3,969,811 times

Advertisements

I'm pulling my hair out on this problem.

Around the beginning of June my car battery died on my 2001 Town and Country. I jumped the battery and headed to my service station where they replaced the battery. The mechanic warned me I might have a problem with my upcoming inspection at the end of June...when the battery dies, it erases the memory of the car's onboard computer. The mechanic advised me to drive at least 120 miles before I had it inspected.

After putting on 770 miles I drove in for my inspection. They drove the car into the garage, hooked a cable to a port located under the steering wheel and download the data into the DMV. But the computer hadn't reset itself properly, and I failed the test. I put another 200 miles on and failed again. They erased the computer's memory, I put another 200 miles on and still no luck. I brought the car to the dealer, paid them $105 to erase the computer and install updates from Chrysler. They said drive 60 miles and I put on 70. Failed again. The mechanic at the dealer said put another 40 highway miles on.

There is nothing wrong with the car, nothing wrong with the computer (so they say), and now the car is past inspection. NYS gave me one 10 day extension but won't give me another. I have to drive the car to put mileage on, but any cop can pull over and give me a ticket. I am going nuts.

There are a whole bunch of variables the computer records, and I have to have at least 11 out of 12. I keep failing the last two, with the computer showing insufficient data. I can't even pay to fix something because the mechanics say there isn't anything to fix. AAAAAGH!

Anyone have this happen to them? How did you resolve it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 01:18 PM

9,289 posts, read 12,827,882 times
hmm that sucks I found this site that might help though
Electrical Problems - The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums

Old 07-12-2009, 03:26 PM

7,407 posts, read 9,401,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
hmm that sucks I found this site that might help though
Electrical Problems - The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
Those forums are the best place to get help for your problem. Why didn't you get the computer replaced?

Old 07-12-2009, 03:36 PM

7,082 posts, read 8,877,079 times
I'm amazed none of your "mechanics" missed the obvious and continued to reset the computer, which only made the matter worse. It's not mileage, it's drive cycles. You could drive hundreds of miles (all at once) and not complete the procedure, certain requirements have to be met.

http://img.neons.org/archives/chrysler_drive_cycle.pdf

Old 07-12-2009, 03:59 PM

2,027 posts, read 2,409,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Those forums are the best place to get help for your problem. Why didn't you get the computer replaced?
Later Chrysler PCMs are VIN specific and not exactly cheap. Just a hunch.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
The dealer wouldn't even quote me a price, he said that was the last thing I wanted to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I'm amazed none of your "mechanics" missed the obvious and continued to reset the computer, which only made the matter worse. It's not mileage, it's drive cycles. You could drive hundreds of miles (all at once) and not complete the procedure, certain requirements have to be met.

http://img.neons.org/archives/chrysler_drive_cycle.pdf
Great advice, thank you. My regular mechanic mentioned drive cycles but didn't give anything this detailed. I'm going to hit the road in a couple minutes.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:33 PM

2,696 posts, read 4,690,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
The dealer wouldn't even quote me a price, he said that was the last thing I wanted to consider.

Great advice, thank you. My regular mechanic mentioned drive cycles but didn't give anything this detailed. I'm going to hit the road in a couple minutes.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.
Good luck. See sometimes Internet Mechanics are better than the real thing. Not that I am one of either

Old 07-12-2009, 06:38 PM

7,082 posts, read 8,877,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Good luck. See sometimes Internet Mechanics are better than the real thing. Not that I am one of either
Me either I'm a computer tech by trade, I was a mechanic many many moons ago (pre 1995) but I keep up somewhat on current stuff (at least what on what I own, which currently is an 07 Dodge Charger), so I can do most of my own repairs.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:21 PM

I was never a mechanic, but my first car was a 1969 Mustang, and I loved fooling around with the engine. Cars these days though, I put the hood up and just shake my head. I'm lucky if I can figure out where to put the windshield wiper fluid.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:20 AM

7,407 posts, read 9,401,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
I know that, but nothing else is working. It seems like he's running out of time. Still, he will definitely get good advice at the Chrysler minivan forums. There are dozens of knowledgeable posters there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive