Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 12:25 AM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,361 times

Advertisements

I have never paid 'sticker' for a car. That is not a 'fair' price, that is the MSRP.

As the buyer, I determine what fair is. If the seller does not agree, I go somewhere else. If is to an 'order taker' that is fine with me. The last two places I have done it that way were willing to sell to me and are still in business (even in these hard times) so I assume it was fair to them also.

You seem to have missed the fact that times are changing, we don't need predatory salesmen any more. There are other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 12:34 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
I have never paid 'sticker' for a car. That is not a 'fair' price, that is the MSRP.

As the buyer, I determine what fair is. If the seller does not agree, I go somewhere else. If is to an 'order taker' that is fine with me. The last two places I have done it that way were willing to sell to me and are still in business (even in these hard times) so I assume it was fair to them also.

You seem to have missed the fact that times are changing, we don't need predatory salesmen any more. There are other options.

So go enjoy those other options. I'm not stopping you. In fact, I'd prefer it.

I make good money doing what I do, so please tell me again what I "missed".

Old 07-18-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post

What you missed is that there are more and more folks like me that are going to 'order takers' instead of salesmen like you. And that trend will reduce how much 'good money' you make if you do not adapt.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
What you missed is that there are more and more folks like me that are going to 'order takers' instead of salesmen like you. And that trend will reduce how much 'good money' you make if you do not adapt.

So they keep saying. I'll let you know if it ever proves true.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:51 AM

Well, as P.T. Barnum said, "There is a sucker born every minute" and folks like you prove that there is always someone to take advantage of them.

Live your life the way you wish, it takes all kinds.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:45 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:

To many people the car,boat,motorcycle sales person is the most mercenary of all sales people.

This also seems to be the attitude you subscribe to.....pure mercenary.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
To many people the car,boat,motorcycle sales person is the most mercenary of all sales people.

This also seems to be the attitude you subscribe to.....pure mercenary.

What do you think I am there for, to be your best friend? No, to make money.

I've actually told people not to buy a car or do a deal if it doesn't make sense for them, but my job is to make money for the dealership. Pure and simple. I don't have to lie or cheat to do it, but I don't consider making a profit a bad thing.

If I happen to make a large profit, it just means I am a better negotiator than whomever I was negotiating with.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:49 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
What do you think I am there for, to be your best friend? No, to make money.

I've actually told people not to buy a car or do a deal if it doesn't make sense for them, but my job is to make money for the dealership. Pure and simple. I don't have to lie or cheat to do it, but I don't consider making a profit a bad thing.

If I happen to make a large profit, it just means I am a better negotiator than whomever I was negotiating with.
Since you are so emotionally invested in this topic then it might be in your best interest not to be so much of a pure mercenary.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:23 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Exactly.

Any car salesman knows the difference between the guy who will walk and the guy he has on the ropes. And that's what drives the deal.
What I started doing years ago was when the salesman comes up to me I tell him to give me his card and I will come get him when I find something I am interested in.

Then I tell him to get me the best price and there will be no going back to the sales manager for a better price after the first price..

And I have walked and not gone back...

Old 07-18-2009, 11:45 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
I love you people. It really both amuses and amazes me that you all have the gall to sit here and ****** and moan about how terrible these places are, yet you make demands and ask for the things that any other business would laugh you out of the place. "I want this car at below cost!" "I'm paying cash and I want a cash deal!" Blah, blah, blah.

You hate salespeople and whine and complain about them, yet from the start, due to some other experience, you treat them in a manner that would get you slapped on the street. Well, I know this might be news to some of you, but you get what you give. If you come in with an attitude, that's what you're going to get right back. And then, of course, it's the dealers fault.

You have no compunction about lying to salespeople so why should you be surprised that they might lie back to you? You really think I believe you that this dealer down the street is offering you x amount for whatever, or that you know my true cost, or your cousin got $10,000 off? Whatever.

And God forbid the dealership actually try and make a profit. I have yet to see a dealership that is a not-for-profit enterprise.

I see a hundred people a month that all want to tell me how to do my job, how this is the way it is, how you know what such-and-such is worth...guess what? The beautiful thing about this business is the house always wins. You think you "took" the dealer? You think you "beat them at their game"? I do this every day, you do it every 3 or 4 years. You didn't win. Guaranteed.
"You didn't win. Guaranteed."

With that statement I think you just proved everyones point about bad car salesman..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive