U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-13-2009, 07:02 PM

3,791 posts, read 4,677,023 times
Default In this economy, why do car dealers still pull the same BS?

So the wife and I are needing something larger to replace our 2008 Jeep Compass. We go to a local dealer and find a nice 2008 Town and Country minivan with roughly the same amount of miles on the odometer. After the usual bickering of price, we settle on a deal. The guy goes to get the paperwork ready and takes quite a long while. After we start getting upset, the guy comes back and says, "We need $500 down." Well that is NOT what we settled on. I told him that we will be paying a sum of NOTHING down and he goes back in the back to leave us for another period of waiting and waiting. I then tell my wife that we are leaving. We both get up, gather our things and head for the door. The guy comes dashing out and says, "Wait wait...I got that $500 covered, it won't be a problem."

You know what, it wasn't a problem from the beginning. Just like every other STEALERship, they like to jerk you around, get you tired and hungry until you give in to their demands. A car salesman has to be one of the biggest scum of the earth jobs. I got the deal that I wanted. In this economy, you would think that they would stop their BS tactics and level with people to try and sell more cars. They should be kissing my royal --- just for even purchasing a vehicle. I rank salesmen up there with lawyers. Actually, I respect lawyers more.

Funny how they can all of a sudden "make the deal" when you are heading for the parking lot.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 07:25 PM

8,737 posts, read 20,561,569 times
Why do tomcats yowl and pee on walls? It's all they know how to do...

Old 07-13-2009, 07:47 PM

1,632 posts, read 2,075,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Why do tomcats yowl and pee on walls? It's all they know how to do...
Nice!

I used to love beating them at their own game. I worked in the business for a while and knew the tricks, so it was fun to bust their balls.

You hit on the key, you MUST be willing to walk away, truly walk away.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:00 PM

1,910 posts, read 2,149,243 times
Well, if people never caved in, did their homework beforehand, and just flat out knew what they were doing when walking in...this probably would never happen.

Heck, when I'm piddling around on Yahoo Answers, the number of fools who take a spot delivery on a car and drive off only to get surprised that their loan app was declined (not knowing your credit score and car buying power beforehand, ftl...) and they have a car to bring back because it's not paid for is astounding.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:53 AM

2,730 posts, read 2,287,148 times
He or she who speaks last buy's

If you master the art of keeping emotions out of the buying
process you'll be just fine, Think of it like your buying something
you can live without.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:58 AM

8,555 posts, read 14,819,764 times
Best thing you can do is have your own financing arranged with a Credit Union before even going to the dealer, that way you'll only need to discuss cash price and the trade allowance. Salesmen like to get customers talking about payments that way they can stretch it out to 6 or 7 years. Arrange your own financing and the payment amount will be none of the salesman's business.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:01 AM

842 posts, read 2,124,911 times
Just do what I do when they get up to go talk to the manager follow them. When they try to tell you that you can't come in them leave. They have no power until you give in then they hold all the power. Deal right with whoever makes the decisions and cut out the middle man.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:03 AM

8,294 posts, read 13,300,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Nice!

I used to love beating them at their own game. I worked in the business for a while and knew the tricks, so it was fun to bust their balls.

You hit on the key, you MUST be willing to walk away, truly walk away.
Exactly.

Any car salesman knows the difference between the guy who will walk and the guy he has on the ropes. And that's what drives the deal.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:19 AM

3,832 posts, read 7,506,154 times
I never walk into a dealership with it mind that I have to buy a car today or I have to have a car from them. Neither is true. In fact I could just leave and get in my car and continue to drive it another 5 years.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:38 AM

40,871 posts, read 42,001,653 times
That is because it bargining and both have the right to bargain.Tyhere ia a reality to vehicle shopping on both the sales price and the finacing that can make a huge difference. I; for example would never discuss the fiancing until I had a price or even what I am going to put down.i also am always reasdy to walk out and have several times.Bascially you need to decide on what you want and the sell price before netering and witht eh internet its not hard to do.I alwasy say never buy a cehicle when you have to if at all possible.Alway check other finacing before you look for a vehicle also. I have saved money just by knowing the difference between taking the incentive or lower finacing many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive