Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:08 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times

Advertisements

I have a 97 acura integra. I love it, but I don't have anyone I can trust to work on it.

The car runs okay, but recently some electrical(?) things stopped working:
radio
cd player
the cigarette lighter (can't use the GPS now Wahhh)
Some lights on the dash
The antenna (it used to retract, but it gave up)

I'm scared to take it to the dealer. I did take the car to them for a tune-up. They didn't ruin it, but a salesman was hovering around and I'm afraid they may try to screw up my car to get me to buy a new one.

I would LOVE a new car, but that's not in the boo-zjay.

SO, is this some sort of spark plug that needs to be replaced or something?

If I can open and do things in a computer, am I qualified to change a spark plug? How do I do it?

Kinky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 10:07 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Spark plugs have absolutely nothing to do with your dash lights and cigarette lighter. They light the air/fuel mixture in your engine to get the car moving. The first thing I would check are all of your fuses because its possible that one may be blown.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:14 AM

674 posts, read 2,552,282 times
Probably some wires getting shorted or some fuses got blown. The dealer is very unlikely to break your car to try to get you to buy a new one. Take it to them or an independent shop and have them run some tests.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:18 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
First take your owners manual out of the dash and read through it. You probably have a blown fuse, which you should be able to change yourself, the owners manual should show where the fuse block is and how to change the fuse.

You need maybe to start with reading up on car care and maintenance, Sir Jackie Stewart has written a few excellent books on the subject.

See if you can't find a good independent shop, preferably one specializing in imports, maybe even specializing in Honda/Acura. I think you will need professional services on your car for a while even if you eventually learn to DIY at the highest level...

Dealers are typically not that good with older model cars. And by older I mean beyond 5-6 years old.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:28 PM

844 posts, read 2,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I have a 97 acura integra. I love it, but I don't have anyone I can trust to work on it.

The car runs okay, but recently some electrical(?) things stopped working:
radio
cd player
the cigarette lighter (can't use the GPS now Wahhh)
Some lights on the dash
The antenna (it used to retract, but it gave up)

I'm scared to take it to the dealer. I did take the car to them for a tune-up. They didn't ruin it, but a salesman was hovering around and I'm afraid they may try to screw up my car to get me to buy a new one.

I would LOVE a new car, but that's not in the boo-zjay.

SO, is this some sort of spark plug that needs to be replaced or something?

If I can open and do things in a computer, am I qualified to change a spark plug? How do I do it?

Kinky
I don't believe you. Hondas "never have problems" j/k

Old 07-16-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
I don't believe you. Hondas "never have problems" j/k
Well not quite, but they certainly tend to have far less of them than some other makes. A blown fuse is not a serious issue and can often be triggered by plugging in a faulty car charger or something of that sort.

P.S. I do not own any Honda's/Acura's (most of them put me to sleep).

Old 07-16-2009, 02:16 PM

Well to be fair, I did leave the sunroof open many times during rain storms. I suspect that may have caused the issue.

Okay, this "changing the fuse" thing sounds like it's doable. I've changed the old-fashioned screw-on fuses before. I turned off the main power first, though. Do I have to take any special precautions w/ a car.
AND my car is used, so I have to look up the owners manual online.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:30 PM

Well, I have to buy my cars based on financial concerns, not taste. Sad but true. I don't really have a dream car, but I would like a Honda Ridgeline or one of those cute new convertibles. Not the teeny ones, but the ones that look like then new Nissan. Cute!

Anyway, thanks for narrowing it down and the solution sounds SIMPLE!

I will check the fuse box tonight and supposedly those little tweezers are right in there! I hope they're still there in my car. I found a how to here: How to Replace the Fuses in an Acura Integra | eHow.com

Thanks again CDpeeps!

Wow if I can fix it, I will have saved $$$ and that is so GREAT!

Old 07-16-2009, 02:35 PM

Let us know if it works out.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:05 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Well, I have to buy my cars based on financial concerns, not taste. Sad but true. I don't really have a dream car, but I would like a Honda Ridgeline or one of those cute new convertibles. Not the teeny ones, but the ones that look like then new Nissan. Cute!

Anyway, thanks for narrowing it down and the solution sounds SIMPLE!

I will check the fuse box tonight and supposedly those little tweezers are right in there! I hope they're still there in my car. I found a how to here: How to Replace the Fuses in an Acura Integra | eHow.com

Thanks again CDpeeps!

Wow if I can fix it, I will have saved $$$ and that is so GREAT!
If the tweezers that came with the car are gone, if you buy a replacement fues kit, which you will need anyway, the better ones come with a set of tweezers.

Just be sure to replace the fuse with the correct same size (amp rating) which is printed on the fuse. Some are color-coded.

Quit leaving your sunroof open in the rain...that will eventually cause problems and may be the source of your trouble...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura