Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 12:08 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,583,894 times

Advertisements

Hi! I have a quick question about tires.

Basically we've found our SUV with flat tires twice since last week. We took them to repair and the mechanic told us both times the valve and steel ball were destroyed and the piece had to be replaced. Other than that, the tires were all right. They are not new but they are in good shape. Is this a common situation?

I can understand flat tires because of nails, etc, but I don't know if that piece can be damaged just because of daily use.

The thing is, this has occurred only when our car has been parked here in the apartment complex during the night. I don't know if they are just coincidences or nasty "jokes". What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your answers,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 12:20 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
They typically don't just fail unless you're wearing your tread down to the belts.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:35 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
My car had two valve stems go bad on the front tires over a course of 6 months. I wouldn't worry about it, I think it cost me $10 to replace them.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:45 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
There have been problems with some "bogus" Chinese made valve stems. The valve stem is a lot easier to do pranks with than the tire itself, it's very easy to take the cap off and cram a wooden match in against the Schrader valve and let the air out of the tire. You can cut the valve stem off with an ordinary pen knife, one that you would really have to work with to damage the tire itself.

It's possible that you are hitting the valve stem against something when you are driving or parking, too.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:46 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
My car had two valve stems go bad on the front tires over a course of 6 months. I wouldn't worry about it, I think it cost me $10 to replace them.
Yep, the sealing rubber bead at the rim gets old and cracked after some time in all the road muck and mire.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:52 PM

89 posts, read 527,192 times
Just to get technical, the valve is actually in no way part of the tire, but rather more a part of the wheel. There is an internal part that can be unscrewed and easily replaced, and than the larger valve body the requires the tire coming off.

That said, it is very odd that it would happen twice, but yes, a valve can go bad or be damaged. I do not know what he is talking about with a steel ball, but I assume he means the internals of the valve. If it happens a third time, something fishy is going on.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:03 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,583,894 times
Thanks for your answers.

The thing is, DH thinks it's some kind of joke and wants to tell the manager, but I'm not sure that's necessary. Especially because it's not that expensive, as wheelsup said.

I guess if this happens for a 3rd time in a very short period of time or something I'll tell my concerns to the administration. I just don't want to have an emergency and find the tires all flat again.

We're careful drivers, the parking space is good so nothing is hitting the wheels (They are kumho. The reviews said they are good quality). When I took the vehicle for a check up the mechanic told us they were ok. So it was a little surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesj View Post
Just to get technical, the valve is actually in no way part of the tire, but rather more a part of the wheel. There is an internal part that can be unscrewed and easily replaced, and than the larger valve body the requires the tire coming off.
Thanks for the explanation. I'm not expert at all LOL. I'm just repeating what this mechanic told me during the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesj View Post
If it happens a third time, something fishy is going on.
Yep, I think so.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:07 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Are you having a problem with the tires themselves or the valve stems? Your first post makes me think it's the valve stem, which is not actually part of the tire, it's a separate rubber (mostly) part that mounts to a hole in the wheel, it's where you check air pressure for the tire and add air if needed. Is that what's been going bad?

What, exactly, is happening to the valve stems, if that's what the problem is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive