Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 04:21 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,166,713 times

Advertisements

TireRack is phenomenal and one of the few online resources I would trust my money to when it comes to tires.

I've also used Discount Tires' website (www.tires.com) with great success.

Like others have said, just be sure you know and trust the installer. The only problem I have ever had with TR was with an installer they recommended. They gouged my new rim, but eventually made it right by buying another one.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 04:39 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,918,943 times
Nothing wrong with any tire that has been sitting on a rack or in storage.

As long as the tire has NOT been exposed to the elements etc they should be okay.

I have two on my car that are 15 yrs old...inside storage over 13 yrs and they look and ride like new.

NO cracks or checking and appear to be wearing evenly with NO vibrations/bouncing and the like.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:00 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,770,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Nothing wrong with any tire that has been sitting on a rack or in storage.

As long as the tire has NOT been exposed to the elements etc they should be okay.
Not according to this research:

YouTube - Dangerous Tires

Quote:
Yet research and tests show that as tires get old, even if they have never been driven a mile, they begin to dry out. And after 6 years of age, can become dangerous.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:26 PM

9,397 posts, read 11,143,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Not according to this research:

YouTube - Dangerous Tires
Agreed. "Should" be OK is not enough for me at 70 mph.

Given the very reasonable price for quality tires today, I cannot understand how people will scrimp in this critical area. It's the only area that connects you to your braking, handling, and accelerating powers, BTW.

Like we used to say about guys who wore 10 dollar motorcycle helmets: If you have a 10 dollar head, wear a 10 dollar helmet.
Otherwise, use the best possible equipment.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:29 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Agreed. "Should" be OK is not enough for me at 70 mph.

Given the very reasonable price for quality tires today, I cannot understand how people will scrimp in this critical area. It's the only area that connects you to your braking, handling, and accelerating powers, BTW.

Like we used to say about guys who wore 10 dollar motorcycle helmets: If you have a 10 dollar head, wear a 10 dollar helmet.
Otherwise, use the best possible equipment.
Agreed! I have always found that spending money on good tires is money well spent. Of course, when you drive with 'brio' it is necessary, even if it costs more.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:01 PM

941 posts, read 3,909,193 times
I used them once when the local shops quit stocking 13" tires.

Paid five tires, shipping took a week because I chose the cheapest method. No problems at all.

I use my trusted shop to mount the tires.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:06 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
I always try to buy from Tire Rack (once in a while I get in a bind and can't wait for tires to ship in). Back when there was an active rallycross scene in Chicago, the Tire Rack generously lent us field space on their warehouse grounds to run our events and even helped defray some of the costs. Unfortunately the Indiana State Police shut the events down because we were kicking up too much dust which would frequently drift across I-80.

EDIT: Heh, you can still see the rallycross course we carved out on Google Maps.

*Sigh* I miss those days.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Thanks....another question....there's been a lot of controversy lately about tire retailers selling what look like new tires but they're actually tires that have been sitting on a shelf for close to 6 years....6 old tires have been shown to be an issue at coming apart during driving resulting in a crash and possibly death.

Does anyone know if Tire Rack checks for that stuff and discards any tires that have a date of manufacture that exceeds maybe 4 years?
Those dudes do so much volume that I doubt any tires have a chance to sit around for anywhere near 4 years.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:43 AM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
I use my trusted shop to mount the tires.
Is your shop okay with taking on the install without the profit margin of providing the tires?

I have a good local shop that I deal with, but i have always bought their tires, just curious as to the etiquette here.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Is your shop okay with taking on the install without the profit margin of providing the tires?

I have a good local shop that I deal with, but i have always bought their tires, just curious as to the etiquette here.
Tire Rack has a national network of pre-approved installers who have already agreed to install tires shipped to them by Tire Rack. They may not make any markup on the tires but they'll still gladly take the $80-$100 mounting/balancing charge for half an hour's worth of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive