Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:36 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,773,298 times

Advertisements

Picture is the car in question. For those that don't know, this is a T type Regal that is the little brother to the famous Grand National and the GNX. It is equipped with the same turbocharged 3.8 liter as the GN that probably puts out a good 350 hp, if not more at the rear wheels. About as fast as a Z06 Corvette but in a luxury car package.

The car came factory with a 215/65/R15 tire. However a 235/60/R15 tire is a pretty much dead on replacement.

Since this is a high performance luxury car, I want to find a tire that will look great, yet be good for corner carving, yet ride nice.

I really want to go with a 235/60 tire but I'm not so sure they make one I like.

Originally I was going to go with a BF Goodrich Radial T/A white lettering out since I think they compliment the car so well, but it seems BFG is really just a run-of-the-mill tire. BFG tires: BFGoodrich Radial T/A

Then I found Cooper Cobra to have a slightly higher speed rating at $2 more a tire.

Then I saw Firehawk Indy 500's are about the same price and are RWL's but supposedly are better than the BFG's? I've never been much of a fan of Firestone. Firehawks: Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

But then browing tirerack's inventory I found these:

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S

Now I've heard Michelins are the Cadillac of tires, but I'm not sure how well these stack up...they look good but other than that....I'm kind of starting to wonder if I should lean towards the Michelins I posted? I only wished they would come in a 235/60.

Why I like 235/60 is because they have a little bigger foot print which I think would give the car a little more aggressive stance. Then again those 10 fin turbine rims are only 15X7's....too bad they're not 15X8's or they'd really fill out the wheel well...

Of course how much better foot print would the 235's give over the 215's I can only really wonder.

Anyways, as mentioned my main concerns are a tire that's going to help me keep the car planted to the pavement during curves, a nice ride and of course match the car.

If you know of something, please let me know. I'm planning on buying here soon. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 05:20 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,017,533 times
is your ride one that would see time on wet roads, or dry only? That may be part of the equation; if you need wet weather traction at all. Your best handling tire usually wont be an all season type, though some can do pretty well. Seems to me that one of those online tire sites ( such as "tire rack" or "discount tire" ) has some nice charts for comparisons and even some test info and videos.
The wife went with a performance yokohama tire on her TC but still kept wet road capabilities. But what works well on a front driver may not be the same as what you may need for rear drive.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:53 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,867,663 times
Just a personal opinion here, but I would not put raised white letter/outlined white letter tires on that car ( or any car). Takes away from the clean look of the car and also when the car is moving, they look like whitewalls. Again, just a personal opinion. By the way, nice car.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:59 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Don't mean to be argumentative but only the Grand National GNX approached 300 hp. I don't know what year this Turbo-T is but its horsepower rating is closer to 245 (1987).

As for z06 performance - highly unlikely that the GN or T type is even close. The GNX was reported to have a 0-60 time of 4.7, while the C6 Z06 is radically faster at between 3.5 and 3.7 seconds.

As for tires - I suggest you broaden your brand list and include some Yokohoma, Bridgestone, or even Kumho unless you prefer an American brand for that very American car.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:57 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times
have you thought of upgrading to a larger 17 inch rim that is 10" wide so you can through on some 275/50/17 or 285/50/17 width tires?

Old 07-29-2009, 12:08 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
I'm assuming you don't drive this car in snow. Do you ever go on track?

How many miles a year do you typically do? Do you care if the tire wears out relatively quickly?

Handling sharpness competes pretty directly with ride comfort, where do you want to be on this spectrum?

The largest sizes of the Sumitomo HTR 200 might work, take a look on Tire Rack's website. I have a set of these on the Scirocco and it's an amazingly good tire considering the price. They do have a fairly stiff sidewall and give a good bit sharper turn-in than most "ordinary sedan" tires.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
is your ride one that would see time on wet roads, or dry only?
It will be mainly dry roads only but I would like some wet weather traction in the event it gets caught in a downpour. It will however not see any snow or winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Don't mean to be argumentative but only the Grand National GNX approached 300 hp. I don't know what year this Turbo-T is but its horsepower rating is closer to 245 (1987).
Those are stock 1987 specs you have posted, albeit very underestimated specs. My car is anything BUT stock...yes it's been modified...with bigger turbo, bigger injectors, bigger exhaust, an alcohol injection system and it's running a lot more boost than it did stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
As for z06 performance - highly unlikely that the GN or T type is even close. The GNX was reported to have a 0-60 time of 4.7, while the C6 Z06 is radically faster at between 3.5 and 3.7 seconds.
Again those are stock 1987 specs...when you start modding the car things change.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
have you thought of upgrading to a larger 17 inch rim that is 10" wide so you can through on some 275/50/17 or 285/50/17 width tires?
No....I'm going to retain the stock rims for now....don't have a whole lot of money to spend, just on tires.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:24 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,072,505 times
I swear by BFGoodrich G-Force tires for all my aggressive driving needs.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:31 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
No....I'm going to retain the stock rims for now....don't have a whole lot of money to spend, just on tires.
If cost matters to you definitely check out the HTR 200s

Read the reviews, it seems that about 70% of people who buy them are happy with them, but the rest don't like them at all. It seems the people who don't like them expected a track tire, or something like a Pilot Exhaldo, for a seriously lower price. I have never used them on a heavier, higher-horsepower car like yours. For smaller sizes they are frequently the only high-performance tire available, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive