Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:02 PM

12 posts, read 29,706 times

Advertisements

Alot of dealers want to know up front whether you are going to pay cash or apply for financing on a new car.

If you pay cash, should you expect a much better price than if you are looking to get dealer financing?

I was thinking that in these times dealerships might rather have cash, and would be willing to make a deal for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 01:06 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsurfwave View Post
Alot of dealers want to know up front whether you are going to pay cash or apply for financing on a new car.

If you pay cash, should you expect a much better price than if you are looking to get dealer financing?

I was thinking that in these times dealerships might rather have cash, and would be willing to make a deal for it.
I think most dealers prefer you finance - because they make money on it (if you are financing through them). It also makes the price less clear - because they can say "your payments will only be $400 per month" instead of telling you how much the car will cost.

If you are financing on your own (bank, credit union, etc.) I don't know if it makes much difference to them.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:45 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,057 times
Cash isn't always king when you're talking about buying a car.

In order of what they would rather you do.

1. Lease
2. Finance with their lending dept
3. Finance with your own lender
4. Pay with cash

Guess which one works out the best for you....and guess which one works out the best for them.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:07 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
You could always agree to finance with an obscene interest rate, and negotiate on the price of the car to get it lower. Then pay the loan off with cash the next month.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:21 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,907,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You could always agree to finance with an obscene interest rate, and negotiate on the price of the car to get it lower. Then pay the loan off with cash the next month.
Sneaky. I like it

Old 07-29-2009, 02:24 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
That's hillarious.

I've heard that there are loans that basically don't allow you to do this though. You have to basically pay off the interest that would be earned over the term of the loan as well.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:34 PM

314 posts, read 935,916 times
When I bought my car earlier this year, they actually tried to talk me out of using cash. They were saying how the economy is bad and that I might want to hold on to my cash in case of an emergency. My DH told him dont worry about our finances..lol. Now I know why. They wanted that interest. Hmm..you learn something new everyday.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:38 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsurfwave View Post

Dealers make money on financing.

There is no better "cash deal".

It also depends on your financial situation. If you can get a loan at 1.9% or 2.9% or something low like that, why not finance it? Get some credit and put the money into something that returns a better yield.

It's not a simple yes or no question, it depends on the person.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:44 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times
Just pay cash and be done with it.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:59 PM

699 posts, read 2,895,269 times
Be careful when you finance. If they try to sell you on an extended warranty and they tell you it only costs X dollars more per month, make certain that they are not extending the terms of the financing from say 60 to 62 months. Dealers can be quite sneaky that way. We found out the hard way when our payoff figure was much higher than we anticipated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive