Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which type of transmission do you prefer?
Automatic 100 29.15%
Manual 175 51.02%
Both 68 19.83%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 02:01 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times

Advertisements

Speaking of manual and automatic transmissions, here is some interesting data from a May, 1967 issue of Motor Trend.
1967 Pontiac Firebird with the 400-cu-in engine.

I know it's not a new car (a good thing for many), but it is a good comparison.

Engine----------------- 400-4 bbl---- 400-4 bbl---- 400-4 bbl
Rated horsepower------ 325---------- 325--------- 325
Transmission----------- 3-spd auto--- 3-spd man.-- 4-spd man.

0-60 mph-------------- 6.4 secs.----- 7.0---------- 6.7
1/4 mile---------------- 14.3 secs/--- 14.8 secs/--- 14.5 secs/
------------ trap speed- 100.3 mph--- 98 mph------ 99 mph

Axle ratio was not mentioned; the automatic-equipped car may have had a lower gear. Still an impressive showing for a car with a transmission which is "no fun" to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 02:35 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
This has been back and forth a million times now, a lot of us prefer a manual for the level of involvement and the feel of it.

I don't think anyone's missed that you don't quite understand that preference Fleet, but if you're now (continuously) arguing for driver involvement and "fun" because you think others don't appreciate it, then you're doing the same yourself.

Why don't you just come to terms with the fact that some people simply don't want, like nor enjoy an automatic transmission of any kind?

Old 06-26-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
This has been back and forth a million times now, a lot of us prefer a manual for the level of involvement and the feel of it.

I don't think anyone's missed that you don't quite understand that preference Fleet, but if you're now (continuously) arguing for driver involvement and "fun" because you think others don't appreciate it, then you're doing the same yourself.

Why don't you just come to terms with the fact that some people simply don't want, like nor enjoy an automatic transmission of any kind?
Since there were very recent comments about the subject, I figured I would add a comment or two.
And, I just found that Motor Trend road test a few days ago, so I added that.

Maybe some people should come to terms that automatics can be fun to drive? Especially in certain cars.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Maybe some people should come to terms that automatics can be fun to drive? Especially in certain cars.
You keep saying as much like it's an ascertainable fact instead of a preference. You have made your preference abundantly clear, over and over and over and over. It would be nice if others could state theirs without you swooping in to "correct" them as if they were factually wrong.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You keep saying as much like it's an ascertainable fact instead of a preference. You have made your preference abundantly clear, over and over and over and over. It would be nice if others could state theirs without you swooping in to "correct" them as if they were factually wrong.
I wouldn't have posted again until I read a few comments posted yesterday about the claim that manuals are "more fun." Depends on who you ask, really.
As you say above, that is a preference, not a fact. And nowhere did I say that automatics were more fun than a manual.

I didn't say others are "wrong," I am saying they are stating an opinion, not a fact, so stop putting words in my mouth. Thanks.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't have posted again until I read a few comments posted yesterday about the claim that manuals are "more fun." Depends on who you ask, really.
As you say above, that is a preference, not a fact. And nowhere did I say that automatics were more fun than a manual.

I didn't say others are "wrong," I am saying they are stating an opinion, not a fact, so stop putting words in my mouth. Thanks.
Well, I get exactly the same out of your posts, that you will not accept that some don't find cars with automatics fun, and that they prefer a manual experience.

It might be very fun to you, you've made that abundantly clear, but it doesn't even remotely tickle my interest.

The manual control with a clutch is a big part of any good driving experience for me. So to me, like many others, it's far more "fun" than an automatic.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Well, I get exactly the same out of your posts, that you will not accept that some don't find cars with automatics fun, and that they prefer a manual experience.

It might be very fun to you, you've made that abundantly clear, but it doesn't even remotely tickle my interest.

The manual control with a clutch is a big part of any good driving experience for me. So to me, like many others, it's far more "fun" than an automatic.
I realize that some people don't find automatic-equipped car fun to drive, but does that make it a fact? No.

I'll make a deal... I will stop commenting about it when people stop saying that cars with automatics are "no fun" to drive.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I realize that some people don't find automatic-equipped car fun to drive, but does that make it a fact? No.

I'll make a deal... I will stop commenting about it when people stop saying that cars with automatics are "no fun" to drive.
I've never claimed it to be a fact, and no one else has either. The name of the thread is Do you prefer Manual or Automatic Transmission, it's given because of the title that any post in here is a personal preference.

It's not like it's a big hoax that a majority of car and driving enthusiasts have a soft spot for a good manual (and I'm talking world wide here, not just US), I doubt it's possible to have missed that you think otherwise, but allow people to disagree with you without referring to things that honestly doesn't have much to do with the matter. Fun is not speed and numbers alone, at least not for a lot of us.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:45 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Other that I love driving and a manual gives me the feeling of being more connected to the vehicle and the act of driving- because fewer and fewer folks can drive one (including thieves) it makes my car less likely to be stolen!

Old 06-26-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I've never claimed it to be a fact, and no one else has either. The name of the thread is Do you prefer Manual or Automatic Transmission, it's given because of the title that any post in here is a personal preference.

It's not like it's a big hoax that a majority of car and driving enthusiasts have a soft spot for a good manual (and I'm talking world wide here, not just US), I doubt it's possible to have missed that you think otherwise, but allow people to disagree with you without referring to things that honestly doesn't have much to do with the matter. Fun is not speed and numbers alone, at least not for a lot of us.
Some have claimed it to be a fact (or it sure sounded like it) on other related threads. In this thread, post #144 sure hints at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive