Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which type of transmission do you prefer?
Automatic 100 29.15%
Manual 175 51.02%
Both 68 19.83%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 12:18 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Of course you do. That is just silly.
I agree. You just put it in "D." How can you not know how to do that?

I will also add that plenty of drivers of cars with automatic transmissions have avoided accidents, including myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 12:30 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Not knowing how to drive an automatic? I learned on a manual back in the dark ages and I used to be intimidated by automatics but it isn't as hard as I thought.

It's more of a matter of UNlearning how to drive a manual. Stop trying to shift the darn thing, that's the hardest part. You learn pretty fast that there isn't any clutch but I still reach for the stick to shift even though I now have an automaticc.

I used to not understand Park and Drive, believe it or not. One time my ex and I got stuck on a mountain in Vermont because we had borrowed his parents' automatic and couldn't figure out how to start it. I think we didn't realize it had to be in Park to start it. Park seemed like what you would use to PARK it, not start it. duh.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Not knowing how to drive an automatic? I learned on a manual back in the dark ages and I used to be intimidated by automatics but it isn't as hard as I thought.

It's more of a matter of UNlearning how to drive a manual. Stop trying to shift the darn thing, that's the hardest part. You learn pretty fast that there isn't any clutch but I still reach for the stick to shift even though I now have an automaticc.
My mom learned how to drive in a car with a manual transmission (a '51 Plymouth). Her next car was a '56 Plymouth with an automatic transmission and she had no problem driving that car. Later cars were Cadillacs (a '60, a '69 a '70 and a '74) and, of course, all of those were automatics.

Quote:
I used to not understand Park and Drive, believe it or not. One time my ex and I got stuck on a mountain in Vermont because we had borrowed his parents' automatic and couldn't figure out how to start it. I think we didn't realize it had to be in Park to start it. Park seemed like what you would use to PARK it, not start it. duh.
With my three '60s and '70s cars, you can start them with the trans in "N" (neutral).

Old 04-01-2012, 02:04 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,265,154 times
Unsycronized Manual for me...just rev the engine and shift gears

Old 04-01-2012, 12:59 PM

202 posts, read 863,995 times
I prefer manual. I like to be in control of as many aspects of my car as possible. Even in traffic when some might see it as a hassle, I see out as something to do.

I think the reason manuals aren't popular in America is that Americans are too lazy or too stupid to have to shift themselves. Plus with one hand eating a burger and the other on the phone, their leg is occupied with steering and can't control the clutch...

Old 04-02-2012, 10:16 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Panic! View Post
I much prefer a manual transmission, i prefer to feel involved when i'm driving.
Never understood how, out of all the things you do while driving, and how most of the time youre not in the act of shifting, that somehow wiggling your left foot every few minutes (in traffic and longer on the highway) is what makes you "involved" with driving.

I went the entire length of the Jersey Turnpike yesterday in my MINI Cooper without shifting once. Yet I was just as involved in driving as if I was shifting.

I prefer a good manual trans, too, and the only cars I've bought new, were purchased specifically with manuals. But they've also all been small engine cars (under 2.5 liters). Most every large engine car I've had (with the exception of my current Mustang and a couple of classic musclecars I had) have had good automatics and I've been just as involved in the driving of them. No, I haven't wiggled my left foot as often in them, but that has never been the defining action of being involved in driving or not, to me. If it was, I could put a clutch pedal on my easy chair at home and push it in and out and have all the satisfaction of driving in that chair, right? Or is there a lot more to driving, most of the time, then just pushing that one pedal in and out?

Old 04-02-2012, 10:20 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJay87 View Post
I prefer manual. I like to be in control of as many aspects of my car as possible.
So do you still have manual spark advance, manual engine cranking, manual choke, etc? Why is one pedal the definition of being in control of your car, to you?

Quote:
I think the reason manuals aren't popular in America is that Americans are too lazy or too stupid to have to shift themselves.
Why do so many manual transmission fanatics have to be insulting asshats about it? Moderator cut: Off Topic

Last edited by TheViking85; 04-02-2012 at 04:05 PM..

Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,946,219 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

It's sort of intimidation, I guess. Every time it changes on me, I feel out of control. And I'm always slamming the brake with my left foot, or slamming my left foot to the floor when trying to start the damn thing or when coming to a stop. I also wind up getting way too close to people at lights, because I'm used to throwing it in neutral and resting my feet. In an auto, you've gotta hold the brake to the floor, which is obnoxious.

I'm also always forgetting to put them in "park" when I go to park it. I'll bump it into Neutral, and try and pull the key out. Doesn't work. I've never owned an automatic, and never will.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:35 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
I still like manuals. However, the auto is nice. And with my setup allows me to tow a heavier load. Sigh.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
It's sort of intimidation, I guess. Every time it changes on me, I feel out of control.
I've been driving for over 30 years (all with cars having an automatic transmission) and have never felt out of control. Even when doing burnouts, getting rubber in 2nd gear, downshifting and sliding around corners. Probably because when I drive "spiritedly," I manually shift the transmission. Even when it shifts automatically, I know it won't change gears until it's at a useful speed (like not upshifting to 3rd until over 20 mph and staying in 1st or 2nd gear when climbing a hill).

Quote:
And I'm always slamming the brake with my left foot, or slamming my left foot to the floor when trying to start the damn thing or when coming to a stop. I also wind up getting way too close to people at lights, because I'm used to throwing it in neutral and resting my feet. In an auto, you've gotta hold the brake to the floor, which is obnoxious.

I'm also always forgetting to put them in "park" when I go to park it. I'll bump it into Neutral, and try and pull the key out. Doesn't work. I've never owned an automatic, and never will.
With traffic lights that stay red for over 30 or 45 seconds, I also put the (automatic) transmission in neutral so I don't have to hold the brake to the floor. A car with an automatic is not really that complicated to operate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive