Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which type of transmission do you prefer?
Automatic 100 29.15%
Manual 175 51.02%
Both 68 19.83%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 01:44 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah, holding it for extended periods in the ride the brake position bugs me much more than occasionally pumping the left leg. Maybe if I took up left leg braking in the auto it would be better.

But as I said in my initial assertion I must be weird. I'm also 6'7 with long legs so maybe it's just the angles involved.
I just use the adaptive cruise control. Pedals are for wusses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 01:49 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,251,233 times
That actually perform well in the 0-5mph range? Or is it too conservative which results in you getting cut off by weavers?

Old 02-05-2016, 02:18 PM

1,386 posts, read 999,987 times
I owned two Mazda Miatas that both had manual. Those cars were offered with automatic transmission, but I didn't even bother test-driving. Why buy a Miata with an automatic transmission?

In 2004, I bought a Honda Accord. The I4 stick version was actually just as quick as the V6 auto. And it was $3500 cheaper. So I bough the I4 stick. And while I love that car (still own it), sometimes I do wish, in DC Metro rush hour traffic, I had a car with automatic transmission.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:10 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Yeah it's that need to ride the brakes in an auto in crawling traffic that bugs my leg. Especially when you're stuck in it for 30mins+. Can switch between D/N but that's a clunky experience and just not in that mindset in an auto. Also probably not good for it.
So it's either push the brake pedal with an automatic or push the clutch with a manual. Not much difference, really. And it certainly would not keep me from driving a car with an automatic.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
So it's either push the brake pedal with an automatic or push the clutch with a manual. Not much difference, really. And it certainly would not keep me from driving a car with an automatic.
Ah, so you're at least agreeing that there is no difference in traffic. So then if manuals are better when out of traffic and there's no difference in traffic why get an auto?

But there is difference. You have to hold the brake pedal. Clutch is a quick smooth in and out not a long holding action. If you're using the clutch pedal as much as the brake I would feel sorry for your clutch. Overall there is much less pedal pushing of any type with a manual in traffic is basically what I'm saying.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Ah, so you're at least agreeing that there is no difference in traffic. So then if manuals are better when out of traffic and there's no difference in traffic why get an auto?
Who says manuals are better when out of traffic? That is more of an opinion than a fact.

Quote:
But there is difference. You have to hold the brake pedal. Clutch is a quick smooth in and out not a long holding action. If you're using the clutch pedal as much as the brake I would feel sorry for your clutch. Overall there is much less pedal pushing of any type with a manual in traffic is basically what I'm saying.
As mentioned, I rarely drive in stop-and-go traffic. With either type of transmission, it does require attention when driving in heavy traffic. Of course, so does any type of driving, actually.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:59 PM

Yeah I don't agree that manuals cause you to have to pay more attention. After you've gotten it, it's just second nature and doesn't require any active thought unless you are driving aggressively. You've also got the clutch and shift motions in muscle memory. I could just as easily eat/drink/text/etc in a manual as an automatic.

But in heavy traffic I can just let the clutch out half way then crawl at 1-2mph without having to brake while an auto would have to ride the brake to do the same. The "work" is divided between two legs and I would say there is less of it in the manual.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
But in heavy traffic I can just let the clutch out half way then crawl at 1-2mph without having to brake while an auto would have to ride the brake to do the same. The "work" is divided between two legs and I would say there is less of it in the manual.
I don't know where you live but in my area, many of the streets look like this:

Bumper-to-bumper traffic does not happen often except sometimes during rush-hour.

With my cars (all with automatic transmissions) the work is also divided because I brake with my left foot.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:19 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,189 times
This would've never happened on a car with a stick.

Witnesses Worried about Two Hit in Parking Lot | WNEP.com
Quote:
SCRANTON -- Two senior citizens are in still critical condition after they were hit by a car in a supermarket parking lot in Scranton on Tuesday. The 88-year-old driver said she hit the wrong pedal.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:17 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Stick, regardless of vehicle size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive