Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 07:00 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Guy I know up in NY grew up in the hills around Hornell, and he and his wife live on top of a hill 15 mi. north of there. So, he's a hillbilly and a real trip.

Owns a '52 or '53 Ford tractor with a flathead 4 banger. Uses the PTO to drive a 3' saw blade for cutting logs. From what I remember he has a carriage with a clamping device he rigged up in it, whereby the log lays in it and he can push it UP using leg and whatnot power to force the log into the saw blade.

Also owns a '77 (I think) Ford F-250 wrecker, and it has the granny 4 speed and a 360. He primarily uses it for A) pulling down trees for firewood, and B) dragging said trees from the woods and across the yard to where the tractor sits.

How he pulls down trees is he'll wrap a chain around the tree, say, half way up or so (I think he uses a ladder and pushes the chain up 'til there's tension on it), then he just romps on the gas pedal and yanks the tree down. He's been doing this for like 30 years.

-
He sounds like he would fit in good around here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
In the early 70's if you had a cracked head or blown head gasket the only commercial products available to temporarily fix the problem were Barr's Leaks and the metal flake stuff you poured in your radiator so there were a few shade tree mechanic remedies. One of them that actually worked was to go to the local drug store and buy a bottle of liquid glass and add it to your radiator. You had to flush it good first then refill with water and the liquid glass and run it till the water vapor from the tail pipe stopped then let it cool, flush and refill with antifreeze mixture. Pretty funny because this is basically what K&W sells now.
I remember Barrs Leak.....it came in a round film canister looking deal...do they still even make that stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 07:03 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,189,487 times
Some German Hillbillies and their talented traktor

YouTube - Sweet Georgia Brown med traktorkomp

Old 08-07-2009, 07:07 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
What to do if you have an old model "T" and old model "A" laying around and the bodies are both just rotted away leaving the frames and motors? Why of course you take the best of both of them (mostly the "T") and make your own car. Just what one guy did around here a couple winters ago. Said the biggest PITA was bending all the steel rods into shape. Yes, he does drive it around as regular transportation.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:08 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,375,359 times
Hi, yes muleskinner they do. The stuff in the film canister was the flake stuff though, Barrs Leaks was in a glass bottle and looked like sludge. They still sell the stuff in a film canister too but I don't believe it has any metal content anymore.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Some German Hillbillies and their talented traktor

YouTube - Sweet Georgia Brown med traktorkomp
AWESOME Better than a drummer too because it shows up on time,doesn't get drunk and play out of time and won't argue about what songs to play.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
What to do if you have an old model "T" and old model "A" laying around and the bodies are both just rotted away leaving the frames and motors? Why of course you take the best of both of them (mostly the "T") and make your own car. Just what one guy did around here a couple winters ago. Said the biggest PITA was bending all the steel rods into shape. Yes, he does drive it around as regular transportation.
THAT is right up MY alley...I'm into rat rods and that thing is cool as can be

Old 08-07-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Hi, yes muleskinner they do. The stuff in the film canister was the flake stuff though, Barrs Leaks was in a glass bottle and looked like sludge. They still sell the stuff in a film canister too but I don't believe it has any metal content anymore.
Do you remember what that flake stuff was called....I remember the old man had a 70 Chevy 1ton welding truck that he used that stuff in when I was just a little kid....he made me sit in the truck and rev it up as he poured in in and I remember in blowing all over the front of his overalls

Old 08-07-2009, 07:23 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,375,359 times
Heres a Hayabussa powered gocart, I love this sort of over powered stuff. They put these Suzuki rockets in smart cars too...

YouTube - go kart hayabusa engined

Old 08-07-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Heres a Hayabussa powered gocart, I love this sort of over powered stuff. They put these Suzuki rockets in smart cars too...

YouTube - go kart hayabusa engined
You have GOT to be INSANE to play with a 'Busa powered cart....A buddy of mine built a cart with an old Honda CB350 motor on it and it was wicked beyond belief....I can't even imagine what one running a 'Busa mill would be like

Old 08-07-2009, 07:34 AM

This is what I would consider fun

YouTube - hemi powered rat rod... omfg this is great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive