Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:04 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I couldn't get your "pitcher" to open up,but I know what they look like....does he have the big,wide tread duals on it?

I was at a tractor repair shop not far from here last week and they had one in there(two actually...one already done and on the lot) that they were repainting...the one they had finished was SHARP.

The guy said they had bought them out of Fla and the paint was faded BAD and there was a bit of rust they had to deal with...you couldn't tell it by looking at the finished one.....I asked them if they would take $400 and an IH cub cadet that isn't running for it.For some reason they turned me down
Funny they didn't take your offer.

IH had a LOT of paint problems with their 50 series tractors in the mid-late 80s. The paint is practically non-existent on dad's 5088. I'm pretty sure it's similar to all the problems car makers had with their paint during that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 05:58 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Funny they didn't take your offer.

IH had a LOT of paint problems with their 50 series tractors in the mid-late 80s. The paint is practically non-existent on dad's 5088. I'm pretty sure it's similar to all the problems car makers had with their paint during that time.
Speaking of paint...this guy was using something called "Hot Stuff" paint stripper and it actually was working...it took the shine off and any thin spots,but no scrubbing or sanding...it was ready to paint as soon as it dried....I can not find that stuff online anywhere...have you heard of it?

I've had crappy results with most strippers and it turns out to be more work than help.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Speaking of paint...this guy was using something called "Hot Stuff" paint stripper and it actually was working...it took the shine off and any thin spots,but no scrubbing or sanding...it was ready to paint as soon as it dried....I can not find that stuff online anywhere...have you heard of it?

I've had crappy results with most strippers and it turns out to be more work than help.
No, I haven't heard of "Hot Stuff" stripper.

The best stuff I've ever used is Aircraft Paint Remover. It's mean, and you BETTER be wearing rubber gloves.
Item Detail

In my limited experience, though, I've consistently found that few things beat the work of a good Random/Orbital Sander.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
No, I haven't heard of "Hot Stuff" stripper.

The best stuff I've ever used is Aircraft Paint Remover. It's mean, and you BETTER be wearing rubber gloves.
Item Detail

In my limited experience, though, I've consistently found that few things beat the work of a good Random/Orbital Sander.
I've never tried that,but so far I agree with you...A DA sander and elbow grease.

The soda blasters kickass,but who can afford that to paint an old tractor that you may only end up with a few dollars profit from in the long run anyway.

Next time I get back over to that repair shop I'll get us an address for that "Hot Stuff" and we can at least try it...this dude said he's painted 15 BIG money tractors so far this year and he swears by the stuff...he sure does good work too...I saw the pics

Old 08-05-2009, 08:54 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
This would be an appropriate place to tell y'all about my old jeep.

It was a Renegade CJ-7, repainted army green
had a 350 Chevy v8, Edelbrock crate engine mated to a 5-speed buick transmission - mounted all catty-cornered, so the engine, transmission, and drivetrain together were shaped almost like a "W". Had an electric fan, wired seperately, that you'd have to turn on when it started to overheat.
Rancho suspension lifted it about 4 to 6" I guess, and it had a 2" body lift, so we could fit 35" Swamper SX's, on black rims
we had this ignition system, you didn't need a key, you just flipped these dashboard switches to an up-down-up position, and it would crank.

it was a beast in the swamp, though.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:59 AM

I'm thinking about growing a full acre of tomatos next year...Do you think this would be a good tractor choice for that endevour.

YouTube - Big Bud 747. World's biggest tractor

Old 08-05-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
This would be an appropriate place to tell y'all about my old jeep.

It was a Renegade CJ-7, repainted army green
had a 350 Chevy v8, Edelbrock crate engine mated to a 5-speed buick transmission - mounted all catty-cornered, so the engine, transmission, and drivetrain together were shaped almost like a "W". Had an electric fan, wired seperately, that you'd have to turn on when it started to overheat.
Rancho suspension lifted it about 4 to 6" I guess, and it had a 2" body lift, so we could fit 35" Swamper SX's, on black rims
we had this ignition system, you didn't need a key, you just flipped these dashboard switches to an up-down-up position, and it would crank.

it was a beast in the swamp, though.
It's definately the right spot

I bought a CJ5 off a dude years ago who had stuck a cut down Blazer frame under it...the kicker was it had a 454 and TH 400 in it and would run WAY faster in low lock than I could hold it on the road.

I rodded it around for a few weeks and then I sold it to my brother in law and within days he/we turned it over in the middle of the road while pulling out of his driveway hammered down....luckly the only thing killed in the "accident" was a canoe we had strapped on top and a crushed cooler full of beer..not ALL of the beer cans suffered fatal injuries tho'.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking about growing a full acre of tomatos next year...Do you think this would be a good tractor choice for that endevour.
Big Bud. Made somewhere in North Dakota, I believe. I remember when those things first came out. Every other 4x4 tractor was running about 175-180 hp. Pretty measly compared to Big Bud.

I have a feeling that Big Bud might not be the biggest tractor on the market anymore.

Do they still make those monsters?

Old 08-05-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Big Bud. Made somewhere in North Dakota, I believe. I remember when those things first came out. Every other 4x4 tractor was running about 175-180 hp. Pretty measly compared to Big Bud.

I have a feeling that Big Bud might not be the biggest tractor on the market anymore.

Do they still make those monsters?
No they are no longer built....they were built in Montana as customs and made out of old Clark(IIRC?) endloaders and were BEASTS!!!!!

Williams Big Bud

Farm Equipment Search At TractorHouse.com

Big Bud - Tractor & Construction Plant Wiki

Old 08-05-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
No they are no longer built....they were built in Montana as customs and made out of old Clark(IIRC?) endloaders and were BEASTS!!!!!
And if asked whether or not you wanted to drive one, you'd say the same thing I would. "Heck yes!!!"

My problem with driving that is that I'd want to go look for stuff to run over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive