U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-05-2009, 01:50 PM

19,340 posts, read 22,356,416 times

Advertisements

I was at Tru Valu today trying to find something, anything that would make this job easier. I had tried the old can of Bug and Tar remover I've had for ages and it worked on the easy stuff. The heavier and bloody ares were not coming off.

The guy at TV showed me a couple of products and I decided to try Bug Melt by a company named PPC. It sounded great when I read the label, but the phrase that got me said it removed male and female bugs. You know only female mosquitos suck your blood?

I sprayed it on, waited ten seconds or so and hit it with one of those sponges wrapped with a plastic mesh. The bugs came right off! I mean easily. I hardly had to apply any pressure!

Thank you PPC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 04:47 PM

10,823 posts, read 8,007,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I was at Tru Valu today trying to find something, anything that would make this job easier. I had tried the old can of Bug and Tar remover I've had for ages and it worked on the easy stuff. The heavier and bloody ares were not coming off.

The guy at TV showed me a couple of products and I decided to try Bug Melt by a company named PPC. It sounded great when I read the label, but the phrase that got me said it removed male and female bugs. You know only female mosquitos suck your blood?

I sprayed it on, waited ten seconds or so and hit it with one of those sponges wrapped with a plastic mesh. The bugs came right off! I mean easily. I hardly had to apply any pressure!

Thank you PPC!
I'll grab a can...my truck is white and with the hot weather we have been having it is covered in tar from these melted black top roads.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:41 PM

They had another product that might be better for black top. I'm going to read the bottle and see what it says. I'll be right back....

It mentions road oil, grime, exhaust soot, and RV black streaks whatever that is.

I'll check their site for that other product I saw.

This might work better for tar.

http://www.ppcbest.com/crud_remover.htm

Old 08-05-2009, 05:58 PM

10,823 posts, read 8,007,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
They had another product that might be better for black top. I'm going to read the bottle and see what it says. I'll be right back....

It mentions road oil, grime, exhaust soot, and RV black streaks whatever that is.

I'll check their site for that other product I saw.

This might work better for tar.

Crud Remover
I used Gunk Bug N Tar from Wallyworld a month or so back and it left brown streaks on it...I washed it a couple of more times and they finally faded,but I'll not use THAT stuff again...It might work good on a darker vehicle though.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:18 PM

8,801 posts, read 22,819,771 times
FWIW WD-40 usually works very well to take tar off. I am going to take a look for that "Bug Melt" stuff though.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:38 PM

5,069 posts, read 5,802,284 times
I'd like to know what's good for bird poop. I went through the drive-through car wash the other day and not all of it came off. Maybe I should just ask them if I can run it through again, if it it's not clean.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I'd like to know what's good for bird poop. I went through the drive-through car wash the other day and not all of it came off. Maybe I should just ask them if I can run it through again, if it it's not clean.
Call PPC and ask if any of their products will take it off.

Phone: 888-772-1277

Old 08-06-2009, 11:23 AM

261 posts, read 738,037 times
Thanks for sharing this information!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:05 PM

3,494 posts, read 6,549,539 times
Fwiw, acetone like what you get in nail polish remover also will pull bug guts right off.

However, having a good coat of wax on your car is the best way to ensure gunk comes off easily - the smooth surface means there's nothing for it to cling to.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:17 PM

42,346 posts, read 46,156,512 times
WD-40 does a good job with grease and oil as well as baby lotion. With bugs and bird poo the main thing is to get them off before they actually effect the finish itself.Wax certainly helps but if left too long it will go right thru it.Kerosene is one of teh best but like may products the area needs to be rewaxed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive