U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 03:49 PM

101 posts, read 325,339 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. Was wondering if you could help me out. I have a 06 pontiac grand prix and it is leaking coolant somewhere. I smell the burnt coolant but can't find a sign of a leak and I had to add coolant twice in the last 3 months.
I checked my oil and it looks fine no white in color, theres no white smoke coming out of the exhaust either. Theres no white residue around my radiator cap.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 04:22 PM

12,097 posts, read 39,439,116 times
If you have the 3800 V-6, they commonly develop intake manifold gasket leaks.

Another happy thought would be the heater core, take a look for any sign of coolant leaking out of the heater box.

Sorry to be the bearer of such great joy - but them's the facts as they are.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:29 PM

I do have a 3800 3.8L V6 but if it was the intake gasket wouldn't I get the milky substance in the oil?? Will check the heater box. Thanks!

Old 08-07-2009, 04:31 PM

12,097 posts, read 39,439,116 times
I think the 3800 can leak coolant out of the intake manifold such that it goes outside the engine rather than inside. Not certain though.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:50 PM

7,475 posts, read 18,467,738 times
2006 not under warrantee...?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:58 PM

nope warranty was 3 year/36000 and im at 58k miles really stinks! Really praying its the water pump! But im thinking if it was the water pump and i've had this problem for a couple months now it would have went already right?? Thats another reason why I don't think its head gasket because I have had the problem for a couple months and no smoke, no milky white oil ect that should have shown up by now.. maybe its just a pinhole leak some where and its evaporating before it can get to the ground.. I do live in south FL and its been really hot down here.. I dunno I guess we will see

Old 08-08-2009, 12:11 AM

846 posts, read 2,961,544 times
If you had to add coolant that much in a short period of time, it's leaking somewhere.

The 3800 V6s are famous for head issues. It doesn't necessarily mean the exhaust must be puffing out dense white fog. It could be burned off before it gets out of the tailpipe.

Your best bet is to get the cooling system pressure-tested.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:00 AM

26,675 posts, read 17,000,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkearns View Post
Hello everyone. Was wondering if you could help me out. I have a 06 pontiac grand prix and it is leaking coolant somewhere. I smell the burnt coolant but can't find a sign of a leak and I had to add coolant twice in the last 3 months.
I checked my oil and it looks fine no white in color, theres no white smoke coming out of the exhaust either. Theres no white residue around my radiator cap.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Waterpumps have weep holes. If the leak is small enough and only occurs under pressure, it could be evaporating away on the hot engine before it hits the ground. Also have the radiator cap pressure tested. It should hold to the specified pressure and allow pressure/vacuum relief in both directions. You may have to put extra pressure into the system with a hand tester to find it, but usually over pressurizing the system will expose the leak (proceed at own risk).

If the water pump can be eliminated as a possibility, add ground pepper to the system. That usually seals very small leaks.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:40 AM

Well just wanted to let everyone know it was def my water pump thank goodness! Don't know how I didn't notice when it went and am very lucky I didn't kill my car. Lol now I just have to get it to my mechanic

Old 08-08-2009, 08:32 AM

8,293 posts, read 21,260,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkearns View Post
Well just wanted to let everyone know it was def my water pump thank goodness! Don't know how I didn't notice when it went and am very lucky I didn't kill my car. Lol now I just have to get it to my mechanic
Glad to hear it's the water pump. But geez louise, you should be getting 158,000 out of a water pump - not 58,000.

Mini rant: I'm amazed by the stupidity of the American car manufacturers. How many KNOWN problems have they knowingly ignored for years?
- The Chrysler Corporation continued to put faulty transmissions in their minivans for the better part of 15 years. They were KNOWN for being a bad tranny. And it would have been an easy fix, but Chrysler chose not to do it.
- The first generation 3.8 GM V6s were rock solid engines. But that wasn't good enough for GM. They had to "improve" them, and install how many tens of thousands of "improved" V6s that were KNOWN for their intake manifold problems. They did it for YEARS.

The list could go on and on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive