Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 04:53 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,809,587 times

Advertisements

There are bumper places in every town, if you can't find one in the phone book, check with any body shop, they send bumpers in every day. Most prices quoted are for straightening and plating. If it has a ding in it, it costs the same to straighten as if it were a pretzel..!
..as far as removing the chrome yourself... NOT HAPPENING...! Removing the chrome yourself would require the special equipment the plateing shops have, or a grinder. I don't think you want to see a bumper chromed that has the old chrome removed with a grinder...!!
The Bumper Shop -- Calendar of Upcoming Shows and Events I have used this shop in So Calif, but there are lots of places in most any town with a body shop...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 04:57 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,224,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Yep, hazardous waste for chemicals used in plating shops + EPA regs has hurt the industry and driving up prices.
The epa regs have hurt a lot of businesses over the years. My dad ran a shop that did boat repair and auto body. EPA started becoming a huge PITA about 15 years ago. My dad was old school and seriously didn't like dealing with such BS.

Story:
The Safety Clean dude in that area provided a service for businesses to dispose of their hazardous byproducts....like leftover paint and resins. Well...this was typically the kind of stuff my dad would just open the can and let is set up on it's own or pour hardener in it to help it along and just toss it in the trash. It was no longer a liquid so it's not like it could really cause a lot of problems. Lets put it this way....it's as safe at that point as the paint on the side of your car. Well the Safety Clean dude offers him this service...which he declined. What my dad didn't know was this guy was turning everyone over to the EPA if they declined his service! Next thing we know we're getting a visit from the EPA and they are crawling all up in ourasses looking for stuff they could nail us on. Fortunately they didn't find anything on that visit but later we figured out who turned us in. And the next time he stopped buy my dad cornered hisass in the back of the shop. We also told all of our fellow business owners in that area that ran autobody shops that used his service. Needless to say we didn't see much of him around there anymore.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:32 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,118,945 times
Ferretkona
Do you have a photo or link to show the chrome powder coating look?

Old 08-11-2009, 10:07 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,809,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
Ferretkona
Do you have a photo or link to show the chrome powder coating look?
What is the vehicle in question, the condition, and what you hope to be the final outcome...?
If it's a nice car you wish to restore, powdercoating is not recommended, since it didn't come from the factory that way. If it's a restoration and you do something non standard, there goes the value. It's it's a decent older vehicle, it's better to leave it less than perfect, than to screw it up by doing something other than original.
Much depends on the vehicle, and what you hope to achieve....

Old 08-11-2009, 03:25 PM

24,274 posts, read 25,769,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
The epa regs have hurt a lot of businesses over the years. My dad ran a shop that did boat repair and auto body. EPA started becoming a huge PITA about 15 years ago. My dad was old school and seriously didn't like dealing with such BS.

Story:
The Safety Clean dude in that area provided a service for businesses to dispose of their hazardous byproducts....like leftover paint and resins. Well...this was typically the kind of stuff my dad would just open the can and let is set up on it's own or pour hardener in it to help it along and just toss it in the trash. It was no longer a liquid so it's not like it could really cause a lot of problems. Lets put it this way....it's as safe at that point as the paint on the side of your car. Well the Safety Clean dude offers him this service...which he declined. What my dad didn't know was this guy was turning everyone over to the EPA if they declined his service! Next thing we know we're getting a visit from the EPA and they are crawling all up in ourasses looking for stuff they could nail us on. Fortunately they didn't find anything on that visit but later we figured out who turned us in. And the next time he stopped buy my dad cornered hisass in the back of the shop. We also told all of our fellow business owners in that area that ran autobody shops that used his service. Needless to say we didn't see much of him around there anymore.
Been there, done that. And now the European regs are starting to affect industry.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:56 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,118,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
What is the vehicle in question, the condition, and what you hope to be the final outcome...?
If it's a nice car you wish to restore, powdercoating is not recommended, since it didn't come from the factory that way. If it's a restoration and you do something non standard, there goes the value. It's it's a decent older vehicle, it's better to leave it less than perfect, than to screw it up by doing something other than original.
Much depends on the vehicle, and what you hope to achieve....
It's a '66 Mustang vert and a pretty solid original car overall. The goal of restoring it is to achieve a nice or decent looking vehicle but not necessarily a show quality car.

I didn't want to buy aftermarket bumpers if they didn't have close to the level of quality and exactness as the original factory ones.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 14,910 times
hello to all go on craigslists and you will find affordable chroming and buffing services they do a decent job for a fair price!

Old 10-23-2014, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 12,387 times
Hey Guys, I own Custom Chrome & Polishing located in Cleveland, OH and do all Arnie "The Farmer's" Chrome Plating.. I don't know if anyone knows him if you are not a Pontiac Fan.. But anyway we rechrome all of your parts and can Straighten& Fix your Bumpers. Average price runs about $450 to $550 each depending on the car. We have been in business for 40yrs, do not advertise just word of mouth. You can ship or we will meet you half way to pick up. Meeting a man from Chicago this week. WE ARE THE WORKING MAN'S CHROME SHOP!!!! Give us a call if you want.. 216-268-2065 or 216-255-8606 Thanks...

Old 10-23-2014, 10:24 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,693,906 times
Front bumper new triple plated 99 bucks plus shipping:

http://www.classicautopartsonlinecat...kCode=mus14flx

Old 10-23-2014, 10:27 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,188,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Front bumper new triple plated 99 bucks plus shipping:

http://www.classicautopartsonlinecat...kCode=mus14flx
But as the OP stated (though he's not around anymore) that's an aftermarket bumper that isn't up the quality or fit of OEM.

I'm going throgh this right now with my '63 Comet, as I have a bunch of parts that need rechroming and there is nothing close anymore now that the EPA has put most chrome shops out of business. So besides the much higher cost of chromework these days, there will also be the shipping to safely get the parts to and from the chromer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive