Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:47 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Yes they help, but it depends on what kind of film. The film reduces the amount of heat that goes into the car, so over any given time the heat is lower than without tint. But the kind of tint matters, since some will have UV/IR filtering and some kinds won't, or the level of filtering will be different. Similar to home windows, you want to block all the UV and IR range, since it's not visible and only creates heat, and some of the visible range, which is the light and also has some heat.
Thanks this answers the question well. Better than deepcynic did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 03:44 AM

1 posts, read 18,129 times
why do people have their windows tinted? There are a number of reasons motorists choose to tint their vehicle's windows, including: * A perceived reduction in glare from the sun during the daytime, * A perceived reduction in heat being transmitted into the vehicle by the sun during the daytime, * A perceived subsequent reduction in load on the vehicle's air conditioning system, as a result of the reduction in heat entering the vehicle, * An increase in privacy for the vehicle's occupants, since people cannot see inside the vehicle's tinted windows as clearly as with non-tinted windows; and * A desire to increase the aesthetic appearance of their vehicle. Critics of window tinting have raised the following arguments: * Reduced driver vision through tinted side windows, particularly in twilight and night-time conditions, is argued by some to present a safety risk to both the occupants of vehicles with tinted windows, as well as to other road users, * The perceived benefits of a reduction of heat entering into the vehicle and a subsequent reduction in load on the air conditioning system are often exaggerated by tinting advocates, * The reduction in ultra-violet (UV) light and any resulting reduction in glare as a result of window tinting are minimal, and * The loss of any potential eye contact between driver of window tinted vehicles and other road users represents a safety risk.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Its definely more than preceived IMO.Eye contact loss?

Old 08-19-2009, 08:06 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,266,248 times
In a lot of states you have to have a permit to tint the front side windows. I remember when I was going to tint the windows on my truck a few years back in Missouri. A trooper friend of mine said he'd give me a ticket every time he saw me. LOL

I had to go to my optomitrist to get him to write me a note saying that I needed it (which may not have been a complete lie...i do have some issues with my eyes) then I had to have it installed and it couldn't be any darker than a certain level...THEN I had to go out to the hwy patrol station where they could inspect it by putting this optical device on the glass to ensure that it wasn't too dark. They they gave me a sticker to put on the back glass to indicate that I passed.

Law enforcement officers don't like walking up on a car they just pulled over that has the side windows practically blacked out.

But yeah...after driving the truck around for a summer and then getting the back and side windows tinted I did notice a substantial difference in heat. When parked I used an insulated reflective winsheild sun shade. The heat wasn't nearly as bad then as it was previously.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:06 PM

23 posts, read 94,500 times
I recently had "limo" tint put on our minivan (Mazda 5), and on the front windows, you can barely see in the car from the outside on sunny days (on cloudy days, it's impossible to see in). Technically I could get a ticket for it, but I haven't had any problems yet (the guy doing the tint even informed me, "you're not supposed to have it, but I'll do it if you want"). The difference in temperature is drastic and noticeable.

Eventually the car can get as hot as it would without the tint, but it takes much, much longer.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:35 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,039,693 times
Well, it is just a 'no-brainer' that if you tint the windows it will block out some of the sun...

thus a cooler interior.

I still don't get why the question was even asked.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:33 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Well, it is just a 'no-brainer' that if you tint the windows it will block out some of the sun...

thus a cooler interior.

I still don't get why the question was even asked.
Because I have compared and contrasted two identical vehicles, one with tint and one without, and can't tell a difference in interior temperature when left out in the sun. And so other than the fact it helps keep people from seeing what's in your car from a distance, I wanted to see if anyone else noticed a difference in interior heat on a hot summer day with tinted windows versus without.

That's why it was asked.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:25 AM

91 posts, read 191,466 times
It would make sense the tint would help keep the inside cooler. It does reduce sunlight from entering your car. But I agree with the person who said to roll down your windows for a ways to get the excess heat out. Works wonders.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:23 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Since i was forced to remove the tint off my front side widows by deputy Gonzalez of the riverside county sheriffs dept i havent really noticed much of a difference. I dont use my ac & i push down my drivers side window ( motor broke). Tint looks nice but even when i had it for 6.1 yrs it still was hot in the car. My back (med tint) & rear windows (dark tint) are tinted. When i removed the tint i tried to put it on my 85 olds rear windows but it wouldnt stick. I doubt it if ill tint the olds. Im glad its almost sept. I HATE the long/dry/hot summers in ca. At least the days are getting shorter.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:28 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
i have festiva's, they have lots of windows, one of mine has a tint on the rear side and hatch back window, one does not. and there is a difference in the summer. ive riden in a car with tint on the front side windows and while they are helpful on a sunny day they do obstruct the view at night. so i really see why they are illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive