Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 01:12 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times

Advertisements

by the way for the record oil can absolutely make white smoke. although in most circumstances it is blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 01:24 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I drove my 850 (same car as your S70 basically) 2400 miles on 2 quarts total of oil when the quickie lube place cross threaded the oil plug and it mostly dripped out. Compression is still good as new 5 years later. Putting 5 qts vs. 7.25 qts won't do any harm to your bulletproof 5 cylinder engine especially not within 300 miles.

If your low oil pressure light didn't come on you really can't blame the shop. Did they put enough oil in? No, but it's not going to fry your motor. On a side note I once put too much oil in and had smoke coming out like my motor was blown.

Engines for your car should cost around $1k and another $1k installed. It's a good design just watch out for the ETM failure.

I can't imagine a tow would cost more than a couple hundred bucks, get it towed back to where you bought it for them to look at as well. Worst case scenario is, you fill it up with oil and drive it home, checking the oil level regularly. If it's a blown motor what is the worst that could happen? You get stuck and have to call for a tow anyway? If the turbo is blown driving it like that for a few hundred miles won't do any major harm either. Does the car move under its own power?

Check the coolant level, are you sure it's not the head gasket?

If it were me I'd drive it back with a tow service on speed dial...
Excellent post. +1

Old 08-23-2009, 09:04 PM

13 posts, read 56,150 times
It was stark white smoke, very thick. Filled up the neighborhood I entered upon leaving the highway?

Old 08-23-2009, 09:12 PM

13 posts, read 56,150 times
I also researched the cost of towing. Cheapest I found was $350

Old 08-23-2009, 09:34 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
For one thing the car is basically 10 years old which doesn't merit in my book spending $6300 on an engine and turbo.

I'd source a good used engine with warranty of which it appears there are many out there for $1000-$1500 and I'd go with that.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:44 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minx1021 View Post
It was stark white smoke, very thick. Filled up the neighborhood I entered upon leaving the highway?
Did you happen to notice what it smelled like? Seriously... No joke intended.

If it smelled like somebody was running a chainsaw, you're talking about oil. If it had kind of a weird sweet smell, it could have been anti-freeze.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:05 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Too bad you could not have used that nice turbo Volvo engine that they destroyed in that cash for clunkers bit.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:17 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
That was an S80, IIRC that is a 6 cylinder.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:39 AM

874 posts, read 2,875,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Did you happen to notice what it smelled like? Seriously... No joke intended.

If it smelled like somebody was running a chainsaw, you're talking about oil. If it had kind of a weird sweet smell, it could have been anti-freeze.
This is the question we really need answered. If it had the distinct anti-freeze smell that is sweet you know for sure that it is coolant burning in the combustion chamber.

You said it is still running so I would what one of the other people suggested and try driving it out of there. I would definitely try to smell the smoke. Do not stand there continuously breathing it in of course. If it is coolant you will be able to smell it without getting close to the exhaust pipe. It is a strong, sweet smell.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:43 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
This is the question we really need answered. If it had the distinct anti-freeze smell that is sweet you know for sure that it is coolant burning in the combustion chamber.

You said it is still running so I would what one of the other people suggested and try driving it out of there. I would definitely try to smell the smoke. Do not stand there continuously breathing it in of course. If it is coolant you will be able to smell it without getting close to the exhaust pipe. It is a strong, sweet smell.
Since we're all left to speculate, I'll speculate...

The shop he initially took the car to, for the possible repairs, is taking him for a ride.

If it's blowing "oil smoke" and is indeed a turbocharger problem, they should be able to fix the turbocharger.

If it's anti-freeze, it's most likely a cracked head, though a head gasket is certainly a possibility.

Either way, NEITHER of those problems is anywhere NEAR a $6300 repair bill!

I'm also curious to know why, if the engine is still running, they're claiming that "the engine is blown."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive