Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 05:09 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,688,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
Just as I suspected - more junk. Back then, kids weren't required to wear car seats so my kids were free to trample about in the backseat. They hated the strollers as soon as they start walking! We'd have a couple of suitcases and a cooler, that was about it.
Judging by some of your posts, it clearly says you're at least 65-70 years old, if not older. As you know things are different today than "back then". Kids have to stay bucked up in a car seat - no way around that one. The play pen is a must - baby has to have some place to sleep on vacation and to put when we can't attend to her. Stroller...also a necessity. The luggage is another necessity. Now my wife, well she likes a lot of pillows, so that's pretty much also a necessity if she's going to be happy. Snacks to eat are also mandatory to spare on fast food stops. Trust me we've been over this many times and have tried to cut out all the unnecessary crap - we've cut all we can. The cargo room of a CR-V isn't very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 12:57 AM

103 posts, read 309,112 times
the right diesel truck with proper maint will go a million miles. pick the one that fits your needs and go for it.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:14 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,835,741 times
i say buy a dodge..

i know of one with a 5.9 cummins, twin turbo'd, 1200ftlbs of torque and over 680rwhp on the stock trans with nothing but an upgraded convertor and 168k miles.. dodge trannys are what now?

forget it, buy a dodge, if you want the best running most efficient diesel.
if you get a 5.9, you can boost power and mileage considerably with some inexpensive mods.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
i say buy a dodge..

i know of one with a 5.9 cummins, twin turbo'd, 1200ftlbs of torque and over 680rwhp on the stock trans with nothing but an upgraded convertor and 168k miles.. dodge trannys are what now?

forget it, buy a dodge, if you want the best running most efficient diesel.
if you get a 5.9, you can boost power and mileage considerably with some inexpensive mods.
stock trans ?? if he tows or drives it hard that hard for me to belive

Old 10-03-2009, 11:14 AM

hard for you to believe, but it's true

ive seen that truck on 20x12" wheels with 40" tires at 40mph put on a smoke show

Old 10-03-2009, 11:39 AM

886 posts, read 5,692,876 times
The B.S. flag is flying high on that one. I went through 3 trannys on my dodge with in 25,000 miles. The dealer bought it back under the lemon law. I have had zero problems with my Allison in my GMC.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:01 PM

your bs flag can fly somewhere else

not every trans every time is a pos...

ive seen allisons drop trou in traffic too, nothing is perfect...

if you keep a trans cool, it will last

Old 10-03-2009, 01:04 PM

11,153 posts, read 29,139,769 times
dodge auto tranny's are terrible I would go for the manual 6-speed if I were to get one

Old 10-03-2009, 01:11 PM

I have had to put trans in both dodges and chevy under warranty alot depends on how you drive and what you drive. your buddy with the dodge is on borrowed time it's not if it will go but when, sled pullers drag racers and highly modded trucks eat fullbuilt trans all the time. the ally is the best at of the big 3 but they have issues also they can go into limp mode using certain aftermarket products. for what a good auto cost i can put in 3 or 4 clutches in my 6spd. i'll keep my 3 pedals. pm me when he blows that auto i work with 2 of the best dodge trans builders in the u.s

Old 10-03-2009, 01:24 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,208,509 times
Dodge transmissions aren't known to be the most reliable ones out there, but mods fix all. It isn't too difficult to beef up a transmission. Any diesel that has had mods making over an additional say 60+HP is gonna start going through trans. unless you build them right. I've seen many Allisons in limp mode because the owner thought it would be fun to mod the hell out of the duramax and leave the allison stock. Also diesel maint. is considerably more than gas. From oil changes to fuel filters, and god help you if you need injectors and don't know how to do them yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive