U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 02:24 PM

145 posts, read 407,834 times

Advertisements

OK so i totaled my car so I've been looking at cars...I just don't know HOW to buy.

My budget is 8500 (plus tax and tag) I don't want car payments so we're going to buy cash in full. I don't plan on doing any long distance driving just city miles. I want a midsize car because I have two kids and need the extra space for car seats, strollers, etc.

I have narrowed it down to2 cars. A 2006 Sonata and a 2006 Altima.

Here are the details for each car:
Sonata GL 2006 41K mileage for 7,999. The mileage and the price range is perfect for me, plus I like that this car comes with an auxilary port for my IPOd although that's not a major need for me just a nice option.

Altima 2.5 S 2006 74K mileage for 8400. The price is a little higher, pretty close to my budget and the mileage is higher but I think a Nissan is a better car and may last longer than the Sonata.

Both cars have clean car fax reports. My brother-in-law (a mechanic) checked out both cars with me and said both are in good shape but he didn't offer any real input on which car would be better over the other. He said it depends on what I want but again I don't know what to look for in a car. Prior to this I was driving a 97 toyota tercel.

Please help. Any feedback on the two cars would be so great. I don't want to buy the Nissan just because I know it's a good brand if the Sonota is also a good car (for less money and mileage) I want to keep this car for at least another 5- 7 years. I have heard mixed things about Sonatas from people I know but the reviews are decent. i am so confused.

please help. anythoughts or comments would be so great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 02:29 PM

19,456 posts, read 17,694,222 times
Go to edmunds.com and reviews of both. Are these from private sellers or dealers?

Old 08-30-2009, 02:30 PM

145 posts, read 407,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Go to edmunds.com and reviews of both. Are these from private sellers or dealers?
A local dealer. When i tried edmunds it looks like you can only review new cars unless i did it wrong?

Old 08-30-2009, 02:51 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,939,558 times
You can just do a google search for each car along with the word review to find reviews from a lot of different sources. Another good thing to do is to do a search for "2006 sonata"+problem to find out what their weaknesses are.

Every car will have some design flaws, but it's good to do your research before you buy to make sure that they won't be a major expense.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:23 PM

14,095 posts, read 23,639,181 times
2006 was the first year of this model Sonata. This model Sonata is very good. The four cylinder Altima runs so quiet you could hardly tell it's running. It's actually pretty quick for a four cylinder. The interior passenger space is pretty equal. The Nissan looks better built. Go to msn.com Autos and click the compare tool. You can see side by side photos and stats. I think the Altima four cylinder is a better engine.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:25 PM

2,715 posts, read 9,498,347 times
Sonata's consumer reviews on edmunds are good: 9.1 out of 10 2006 Hyundai Sonata Pricing and Information

Altima also get's a good review--a little lower at 8.9. MSN gives the Altima 9.1

2006 Nissan Altima Consumer Review (http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/altima/2006/consumerreview.html - broken link)

To Sum up:
Sonata Edmunds 9.1; MSN 9.4
Altima Emunds 8.9; MSN 9.1

Personally I would go with the Sonata because of the lower mileage and higher ratings.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:28 PM

10,897 posts, read 23,130,667 times
http://www.jalopnik.com/images/2006/05/nissan_altima_review_back.jpg (broken link)
I think the altima is a very good car for what you are looking for I would go for it over the sonata

Old 08-30-2009, 03:45 PM

4,534 posts, read 6,615,566 times
We have a 2006 Sonata. no problems at all. Plus the hyundai warranty goes to 100k miles, not sure what the Nissan warranty was for 2006 models. The hyundai you are looking at has alot less miles also. Our trunk is huge, and can carry everything we have ever needed it to!

i vote for the Hyundai, better warranty as far as I know, reliable as all get out, and less miles than the Nissan!

Old 08-30-2009, 04:51 PM

5,010 posts, read 13,154,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
We have a 2006 Sonata. no problems at all. Plus the hyundai warranty goes to 100k miles,

Hyundai warranty is non-transferable.

Get the Nissan, there is a reason the Hyundai is cheaper.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:18 PM

2,745 posts, read 13,097,745 times
Okay, I know you didn't ask, but I just have to put my 2 cents... I would, if I were shopping with that amount of money, be searching for something from a private individual. I have almost never seen a car for sale from a dealer that was not at least a grand more than the same car from a private seller. Ever. If you aren't getting a warranty and don't need financing I can't imagine paying that much extra. And I have had really bad deals from dealers so yeah, I'm biased... (hidden problems and such).. with private sellers it's usually (not always) easier to know more about the history of the car, and heck, you can tell a lot just by going to a seller's house and seeing how they take care of their stuff, if they seem to have money (therefore had money to properly maintain a car), etc.

Sorry just had to pipe up!

Good luck whatever you choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive