Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 06:58 PM

964 posts, read 3,160,256 times

Advertisements

Yeah, you're right.

I am not car savvy, but my dad has loads of experience with cars, and those problems I listed are indeed problems that I know of. And I may not be car savvy, but I know enough to know when someone's trying to dupe me.

But yeah, it has no major problems to speak of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 11:07 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,793,604 times
Think about your own plans here. Your Civic needs work, so you want to sell it to get something in better shape. The problem you'll run into while you shop for a new car is buying cars from other people out there doing the exact same thing that you're trying to do.

Get the struts done right away if it's handling bad, wearing out tires unevenly, making noise in the front end, etc. If your catalytic converter is bad, you should hear a lot of rattling from it. If you don't hear a bunch of noise, the problem is most likely the O2 sensor which should be replaced every 50-100K miles anyway. If you don't have much money right now, the AC can always wait until next summer.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:24 AM

964 posts, read 3,160,256 times
Thanks. I do tend to hear the clicking noise whenever I pull off from a steep incline, and I don't hear any other rattling. I'll look into getting the parts and probably have my dad put them on for me.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:59 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Get a bicycle for traveling around campus. Not easy to do a beer run on a bicycle but you can go from class to class faster on a bike.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:40 PM

91 posts, read 191,489 times
Bicycle is a good call for getting around campus.

I'd recommend using the bus system for going to class if you have the chance. And sticking with your Civic sounds like a pretty decent idea.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:46 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Get a bicycle for traveling around campus. Not easy to do a beer run on a bicycle but you can go from class to class faster on a bike.
i don't know of anyone in college who uses a car just to go class-to-class. i'm sure the OP has other needs for an actual vehicle.

Mike

Old 09-02-2009, 05:05 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times
Keep the Civic. Use whatever you were going to spend on a new car to take care of what the Civic needs, within reason. It doesn't sound like you're talking a huge amount of repairs...?

I understand being without A/C though. I'm in Texas, so I feel ya there. See what's wrong with it then decide. It may just need freon.

If I were you I'd just hold on to it.... speaking as a student (and also a mom of 3 kids).

Old 09-02-2009, 05:46 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
i don't know of anyone in college who uses a car just to go class-to-class. i'm sure the OP has other needs for an actual vehicle.

Mike
Didn't say going class-to-class. Said going around campus. Some campuses have stores, churches, banks, restaurants, and nightclubs all within easy bicycle distance. Some drive even these short distances even in good weather.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:25 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
Yeah, you're right.

I am not car savvy, but my dad has loads of experience with cars, and those problems I listed are indeed problems that I know of. And I may not be car savvy, but I know enough to know when someone's trying to dupe me.

But yeah, it has no major problems to speak of.
You are in a non-rusting climate so you can very easily keep this car through college and beyond.

Try to get car-savvy, there is really no substitute for knowing what you are doing. Keep in mind that this car has a timing belt, unless I am mistaken, and will bend valves if said belt breaks - at least most Honda do. Changing the belt is not cheap, but it's cheaper than replacing the head.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:16 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,641 times
Get yourself a Saturn SL2. You'll have a ton more horsepower than a Honda, better MPG (now that you don't have to floor it all the time) and Saturns last for 300k easily... they have timing CHAINS instead of rubber belts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive