Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 07:36 AM

740 posts, read 1,881,973 times

Advertisements

American for me. I have had all fords and one GMC. I currently have a 1995 Ford Explorer with 308,000 miles on it. I have had it since new and the most expensive repair has been replacing the fuel pump. I had a Ford Focus I sold last year with 189,000 miles and it still ran good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 09:50 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,073 times
We are currently a Honda/ Toyota household. I would buy american again if they offer the same reliability for a 10 year ownership period as the most reliable japanese brands. In fact, I would prefer to buy american if they could meet this benchmark. Right now I am not confident they can in the vehicle classes I am looking to own (Minivan and Mid-Sized sedans). I hope when I am back in buying mode in 4-5 years or so they can.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:11 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
We are currently a Honda/ Toyota household. I would buy american again if they offer the same reliability for a 10 year ownership period as the most reliable japanese brands. In fact, I would prefer to buy american if they could meet this benchmark. Right now I am not confident they can in the vehicle classes I am looking to own (Minivan and Mid-Sized sedans). I hope when I am back in buying mode in 4-5 years or so they can.

The Chevy Malibu and the Ford Fusion and Taurus will be cars you will want to check on in 4-5 years to see if long term reliability has returned. Now that you mention it I am not familiar with any minivans that any of the (formerly) Big Three have that they've refreshed.

For me, I plan on getting a mid sized sedan too because my wife and I will start a family next year. So next year I will be checking out sedans and minivans myself. Personally, if I had to buy now, I'd get a Fusion or a Malibu as Toyota's quality and reliability have been going down the tubes, I'd only consider a Nissan Quest as the rest of the cars are ugly and cheap German design knockoffs, Hyundai's are made by men wearing leaves as shoes (exaggeration), Mitsubishi doesn't make anything I'd consider buying. I would consider a Honda Fit, but that's only because the wife had one in her native Japan and misses it.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:24 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times
we've owned cars from here and there over the years; and in most cases had little/no trouble with any of them. For us, it comes down to what we're looking for in a vehicle at that time, as our needs/wants change. And what ride gives the most of what we want, at the best overall price. I prefer to at least start the process with an open mind, then whittle the list down from there. What ever is the best option, gets our business. I would never pay more (or less) for a particular name "just because".....

Old 09-04-2009, 01:33 PM

990 posts, read 2,556,922 times
At one point I owned a 1995 Mercury Sable.

Certainly an unpleasant experience..."Nuff" said.

Went German, I have never been as happy, and never looked back.

Currently own a Beam and a Benz, cost a good amount, but I will NEVER give another penny to Detroit.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:37 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times

I would love to but i would not! the American auto industry has just disappointed me with their begging for welfare handouts, letting Obama drag them through the mud adn kissing his rump.

and the products are just not as efficient, as wellbuilt and the industry as cowtowed to the unions

so NO WAY!--70% of cash for clunkers went to foreign jobs

Old 09-04-2009, 02:39 PM

91 posts, read 191,466 times
I don't understand why anybody would specifically not buy American... but to each his own.

Not saying you should only buy American, but it's not like our product is that bad. Or any worse than other things I've driven.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:49 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
That's not just "imports".

I don't see anyone hear proudly proclaiming ownership of ANY Cadillac with a Northstar engine in it.

Boy...you sure got that one right! My dad had a 1985 Chevy S-10 4X4 with the V-6 in it. One day the starter motor went out. So, my brother tried to remove it for replacement, and after a couple of extremely frustrating and futile days trying to get it out, he finally yanked out the ENTIRE ENGINE......because there was so much junk in the way it was utterly impossible to remove the starter otherwise.... There should be some kind of LAW that design engineers have to own, and use, the products they design for at least a year. Maybe then we'd get some decent cars and trucks...

And....I once owned an Oldsmobile sedan, and BOTH interior door handles came loose off the doors, and were just hanging there "by a thread". Try as I might, the screws that held them in place would not tighten. So...I took the door panels off to see why. Want to know what the "genius" auto engineers thought would anchor the door handles in place? Fiberboard! That's it...nothing else...just fiberboard...about 1/8" thick. They had the screws anchored into this. How did they ever think that was gonna work? Really cheap... A grade-schooler could have done better...

Bud

Old 09-04-2009, 04:04 PM

380 posts, read 691,714 times
There's no such thing as buying an "American" automobile: Although the automobile companies themselves are American, i.e., General Motors and Ford, the automotive parts are typically manufactured in foreign countries such as Mexico, China and Japan. Another illusion...

Old 09-04-2009, 04:09 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
The Chevy Malibu and the Ford Fusion and Taurus will be cars you will want to check on in 4-5 years to see if long term reliability has returned. Now that you mention it I am not familiar with any minivans that any of the (formerly) Big Three have that they've refreshed.

For me, I plan on getting a mid sized sedan too because my wife and I will start a family next year. So next year I will be checking out sedans and minivans myself. Personally, if I had to buy now, I'd get a Fusion or a Malibu as Toyota's quality and reliability have been going down the tubes, I'd only consider a Nissan Quest as the rest of the cars are ugly and cheap German design knockoffs, Hyundai's are made by men wearing leaves as shoes (exaggeration), Mitsubishi doesn't make anything I'd consider buying. I would consider a Honda Fit, but that's only because the wife had one in her native Japan and misses it.
I saw my first new Taurus on the 5 freeway last week. Nice.

I hope they pan out reliability wise. I could see myself driving one of those in a few years. ( 2-3 year old CPO of course )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive