Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 01:56 PM

699 posts, read 2,884,455 times

Advertisements

What happens now? While I'm awaiting the results of his and the other drivers injuries,which he is happy they are both alive, right now he is wondering about his liabilities on the other driver's car. Neither car was insured for racing. It was indeed an accident as his gas pedal stuck while traveling @ 110mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 02:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Assuming this took place at an actual track under staff supervision and all that: I don't understand why he'd be liable unless he deliberately steered into the other guy or was somehow negligent. Each assumed the risks involved with the activity. That said, I'm sure some shyster lawyer would be glad to take the other guy's case if said guy were inclined to sue.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:55 PM

It was at a national speedway and my bro has been racing there for years. I'm not sure if he's more upset with his injuries or the fact that his car just had a new engine in it. I just heard from him and he was discharged from the hospital. He is very lucky to be alive. He put everything he had into his car.
I will tell him he is not liable that should make him feel a little better.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:33 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,834,468 times
Drag racing for years and did not have/knew of a kill switch.

He must have been a amature racer.

I drag raced a NHRA Legal licensed dragster and had a kill switch close to my thumb for killing the electrical/fuel to the engine. NHRA safety rules apply in all classes.

A stuck throttle is no excuse...NHRA requires a safety feature in that respect.

A driver going down the 1/4 mile has to have complete control.

I once lost my hand brake (mstr cyl broke on application) and had to restart my engine and downshift to make the rail slow down for the last return road and almost rolled it due to the speed. Not fun making a turn with two right wheels off the ground.

NO injuries to speak of on your bro...other then the Ego trip...a lesson well learned.

Steve

Old 09-05-2009, 04:53 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,629,112 times
I'm an official at an NHRA track. Unless it was deliberate each person assumes their own liability. That's why they have you sign waivers when you pay for your run card. Was he at Indy?

Old 09-05-2009, 06:58 PM

No not Indy. He spoke to me of the kill switch I'm failrly sure he hit that first. Not sure of the details, he is not amateur for sure. Seems as though all systems failed him as he stomped on the break the steering wheel broke in his hands. He's been racing this car for 8 or 10 years. Just did some carburetor work on it and was so happy with it's performance. I feel so bad for him and the other guy right now.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
I'm an official at an NHRA track. Unless it was deliberate each person assumes their own liability. That's why they have you sign waivers when you pay for your run card. Was he at Indy?

Thanks for sharing this as he is feeling so bad right now. So the other guy has no grounds for any kind of suit? He has so much on his mind now and really, this car was his baby, his life. All his time and money were invested in this sport and his car.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:23 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,676,434 times
Very unfortunate circumstance indeed... thats the thing with cars, either on the road or on the track they can be completely devalued instantaneously.

What was the actual accident?

Old 09-05-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Drag racing for years and did not have/knew of a kill switch.

He must have been a amature racer.

I drag raced a NHRA Legal licensed dragster and had a kill switch close to my thumb for killing the electrical/fuel to the engine. NHRA safety rules apply in all classes.

A stuck throttle is no excuse...NHRA requires a safety feature in that respect.

A driver going down the 1/4 mile has to have complete control.

I once lost my hand brake (mstr cyl broke on application) and had to restart my engine and downshift to make the rail slow down for the last return road and almost rolled it due to the speed. Not fun making a turn with two right wheels off the ground.

NO injuries to speak of on your bro...other then the Ego trip...a lesson well learned.

Steve
Just confirmed he hit the kill switch first but at that rate of speed he just kept on going. HE then applied the brake so hard the steering wheel broke off. It all happened so fast. He hit the other driver's car insted of the wall which surely would have killed him.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
It was at a national speedway and my bro has been racing there for years. I'm not sure if he's more upset with his injuries or the fact that his car just had a new engine in it. I just heard from him and he was discharged from the hospital. He is very lucky to be alive. He put everything he had into his car.
I will tell him he is not liable that should make him feel a little better.
I wouldn't tell him he's not liable. That ultimately could be up to a court. But if it ever gets there, I'd say he has a decent case that he's not based on mutual assumption of risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive