Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 07:40 AM

18 posts, read 47,514 times

Advertisements

Hi. I live in Northern New Jersey and have been checking out Craigslist daily for a used car. I only want to spend $3000 but am noticing that private sellers are pricing their '99 and '98 Hondas and Toyotas (w/110K+ miles) well over that. Sigh. I'm trying to understand what it means when someone says "OBO." Is this the best offer over or under the asking price? How far can you go down before looking like a "lowballer"? If it turns out that a Honda and Toyota are indeed out of my price range, what's the next best '96-'99 used car out there? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 08:05 AM

2,715 posts, read 11,903,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenpartygirl View Post
Hi. I live in Northern New Jersey and have been checking out Craigslist daily for a used car. I only want to spend $3000 but am noticing that private sellers are pricing their '99 and '98 Hondas and Toyotas (w/110K+ miles) well over that. Sigh. I'm trying to understand what it means when someone says "OBO." Is this the best offer over or under the asking price? How far can you go down before looking like a "lowballer"? If it turns out that a Honda and Toyota are indeed out of my price range, what's the next best '96-'99 used car out there? Thanks.
I would look into a 94-96 Camry--great cars!

Old 09-06-2009, 10:57 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenpartygirl View Post
OBO is indeed "or best offer". Indicates the seller will consider a lessor offer. Usually posted 25% over their lowest point. I would have no qualms offering $3000 if they were asking $4000, they will come back with $3500. It is just bartering.

Don't try to offer less before seeing the car, it's just rude to do that on the phone before seeing the car first.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:30 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,495,745 times
You asked for advice.

Be sure you get the vehicle looked over BEFORE you buy. I got my F150 looked over by AutoExam before I bought. I could have done it myself, but you know...guy emotions (they exist in smallish quantities), truck, shiny silver metallic paint, flareside bed. Yeah.

Oh, yeah, used car sales are 'as is'. You autograph papers where applicable, you accept a vehicle as it is.

Should be common sense, but I get around on Yahoo! Answers and people STILL belive there is such a thing as a "cooling off period" for automobile purchases. There is not. You buy that right in Cali. Bouy, the surprise that ensues...

Old 09-06-2009, 04:34 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Be careful with some of those older Hondas and Toyotas. They may be fine cars all around. But many of these cars are due for a timing belt replacement somewhere between 90K and 105K miles. This is an important service - not like "regular" belts. If this belt breaks while the engine is running it may cause significant and very expensive damage to the engine.

You MUST ask if the timing belt has been changed. Otherwise plan on spending $500 soon to have it replaced. You will probably replace the water pump at the same time.

Other good cheaper cars to consider are Mazda Protege, Mazda 626, and Ford Focus.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:08 PM

18 posts, read 47,514 times
Thanks for the wonderful advice!!!

Old 09-06-2009, 05:20 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,156 times
Best advice I got recently;

Look for the Geo Prizm. Some will misspell it as "Prism". It's the "twin" of the Toyota Corrola and usually much cheaper but basically the same exact car. There are other "twins" out there too, I can't remember right now though. Hopefully someone else can come along and tell you. You can save a lot, get the same vehicle without the Toyota or Honda "name" that drives the price up.

Familiarize yourself with the Blue Book value (and other valuing guides, like Edmunds.com) for the types of cars you are looking at so you will recognize a good price (or a crazy one) when you are shopping and can know what to offer that is reasonable. Don't be a stickler on this though, since the price in your area for a particular car can be driven up or down based on your LOCAL market, but the Blue Book or similar is a good starting point.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:20 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,330,045 times
How much are you willing to spend? I would suggest a Civic or Corolla.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:39 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Be careful with some of those older Hondas and Toyotas. They may be fine cars all around. But many of these cars are due for a timing belt replacement somewhere between 90K and 105K miles. This is an important service - not like "regular" belts. If this belt breaks while the engine is running it may cause significant and very expensive damage to the engine.
This is true only with Honda's, but not the Toyota's. If the timing belt brakes on a Honda, it will crush the valves, basically ruining the engine. On the Toyota, they have non-interference engines, so the car will stop, but only will need to have the timing belt replaced to run again.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:55 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
You're going to laugh at me, but I would look for a Buick with the 3.8L engine. They are total grandparent mobiles, but you can find them from the late 90s with lower mileage, and the 3.8 engine is very reliable. The 3.8 is a V6 engine, though I would stay away from the supercharged versions, since they tend to have more maintenance issues and require premium fuel. Cars to look for include the Park Avenue, Regal, and LeSabre. The Century had a 3.1L V6 engine which most would not recommend across the board, since it does not have the near-bulletproof (with proper maintenance) reliability of the 3.8, though I think the last of the Century series were not problematic. Another nice thing about a Buick is that it's an American car that's relatively easy to fix.

As for negotiating, I would look at vehicles in the $3200-$3500 range max, since few are going to knock too much off the price, unless it's grossly overpriced.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive