Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 04:44 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Personally, I wish the headlight switch was back on the floor!!! People don't use their hands to ever dim the things because one hand is holding a cell phone, drink and the other is barely even touching the wheel while holding their fast food mess! They simply are a limb short, so maybe if the switch was back on the floor, that would be used more often when meeting those idiots?
People are too dumb to risk giving them more than two pedals on the floor. If someone manages to plow into a group of kids because they thought they were hitting the brakes imagine what they would do if they had another thing to step on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 04:48 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
People are too dumb to risk giving them more than two pedals on the floor. If someone manages to plow into a group of kids because they thought they were hitting the brakes imagine what they would do if they had another thing to step on.
I can see it now on the news interview, old lady doing 70 down the interstate. "I saw a car coming so I went to dim my lights and hit the brake pedal instead, causing the car behind me to rear end me and cause a 37 car pileup".

Old 09-14-2009, 04:55 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,304 times
I don't see an issue with two tone paint and landau/vinyl tops unless they are done poorly. Done correctly on the right vehicle they look very nice.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:46 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,057 times
Yeah on 2-tone...the colors have to go together well. Some of the best looking cars I've seen were 2-tone.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:47 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post

PT Cruiser, it's like their asking someone to ram their car into that peice of crap.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:52 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,057 times
^the guy I sit next to at work has a PT. The funniest thing about them is how wimpy the power plant is and yet the fuel milage is so bad.

...also the crash test ratings have not been good.

...looks wise I think they were trying hard but they fell a little short of the look of the late 30's hot rod.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:59 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
The turn signal arm has become overwhelmed with functions. Usually you have cruise, turn signal, brights, and I think sometimes even wipers all in the single arm. If one thing breaks (usually turn signal switch) you have to rpelace the whole thing at a cost of hundreds or even over $1000. That is insane for a simple turn signal switch. They were out frequently. Leave it simple and cheap to replace. They especially seem to ahve problems with tilt steering wheels. I have had several cars where the brights or the turn signal switch would only work if the streering wheel was tiled into a certain position.

I like cars simlpe and easy to figure out. It is also easier to remember. When they keep moving things around, it is hard to keep track of and when you are trying to get the brights off or turn signal on or turn ont he wipers in a hurry, you do not want to be fumbling around trying to remember where you particualr car has those things.

Personally, I think Chrome bumpers are far better looking. THe cars with plastic or rubber covered bumpers look chintsey. Two tone paint jobs look grat on some cars (Chevy Bel Air), and terrible on others. It depends on how it is done and whether the colors compliment or clash.

Some paint colors, especially from the 1970s are just awful. My parents had a car that looked excatly like a large peice of excrement. Some of the shades of green that they came out with on some cars cannot have been anyhting but a mistake. ("oops I spilled red paint into the green, or well, lets just use it anyway. I do nto want to mix up some more.").

Old 09-15-2009, 09:08 AM

306 posts, read 636,440 times
One trend that I'm really happy it didn't catch on was the infamous pair of testicles hanging from the back of pickup trucks. Jesus.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:34 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexer View Post
One trend that I'm really happy it didn't catch on was the infamous pair of testicles hanging from the back of pickup trucks. Jesus.
What are you talking about, that's classy

Old 09-15-2009, 11:47 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,188,781 times
Never did like the vinyl roofs...rust magnets.

Didn't like louvers on rear windows, although I had 'em in the '70s.

Don't like center-mounted speedometers...that seems just silly. (Look! We're different!) And along those lines, built in flower-vases on dashes...

Hated seat-belt chimes that don't go off unless buckled...if I want to drive around my own farm without a seatbelt, it should be my own business.

Miss wing windows.

Don't like what seems to be a trend towards technology for technology's sake...in some vehicles, it get's complicated to change a radio station without involving your Nav screen...

I, too, hate how tough it is to find bench seats...the last pickup I got I was looking for a plain-jane because it's a real work truck...it was hard to find a manual, 4X4 without fancy chrome wheels that I'd cry if I scratched, a bench seat not in leather and no carpeting.

Apparently, I'm a dinosaur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive