Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 12:04 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I forgot to say, try the brakes, make sure the handbrake or parking brake at least works, by taking the car out of "park", have a bro push it *A BIT* keeping in mind that you don't know you have any brake at all until you test them...see if the regular service brake will stop the car, see if the parking brake will too.

The time to find out that a small leak in the hydraulics has left you with no brakes is not right after you fire it up for the first time and put it in gear...

Tires - the tires on the car will be "tired" for sure, if it's been sitting in a dark garage on concrete, they are probably usable for an initial shakedown, but I would hesitate to trust them for freeway use. Again just use common sense, if you can take the blue roads home and the tires are high-quality and were only a couple years old when the car was parked, and you are a healthy, red-blooded type who is not put off by changing a flat, provided they don't "thump" continuously when you drive (pretty good sign they are flat-spotted good and likely won't make the trip) go for it. If you are short on time and long on money, probably 4 new tires are worth getting.

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 09-15-2009 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: talk about tires
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 12:44 PM

152 posts, read 651,317 times
As the owner of a 1995 Mark VIII since new (I bought it for my wife), I'm going to say that your father's Mark VIII with only 40k on the clock is a cherry and would be a keeper. This car is a nice luxury/high performance vehicle. The 32 valve 4.6L motor with 280 hp gets @ 28/30 mpg on the highway. If he had it since new and had it maintained, you're in a good position to cheaply bring it back up to snuff. If you plan to sell it, these cars unfortunately are at a low wholesale price. I'd do at least these items listed.

1. Get new rubber on it.
2.Drain out the fuel tank - siphoning would be easiest. Add injection cleaner to the new/fresh fuel.
3.Change the motor oil - this car is one of the hardest (cramped) that I've ever done. You would be better off going somewhere close to you and paying to have it done.
4. Get a new battery - these are heavy duty but if you shop around, you'll find one for @ $80 - $100.
5. After you start it up and the air ride system pumps up (you'll hear the compressor), shut it off and measure from top of the tire rim to bottom lip of the wheel well at all 4 corners. Re-measure @ 20 minutes later to see if any air bags are leaking.

I'd drive it for a day to see how it goes to determine wheather to drive it 120 miles or to tow it.
If you get to drive it 120 miles, you will see just how comfortable this car really is and that I was not kidding about the 28/30 mpg on the highway @ 65mph.

Side note. If you are going to keep it, allow me to invite you to join MarkVIII.org to learn everything Mark VIII and to have parts and repair resources at your disposal.

In any case, Good luck and enjoy.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I wpuoldn't take a chance on thsoe tires after 51/2 years sitting.I alos pull the plugs if it has been run regualerly and put some penatrating oil in ech cyclider ;let it sit a day then turn it ove to prevent the rings from sticking ;hopefully.Other than that just check for rotted hoses etc and repalce the coolany;oil and plugs as stated.I put some chevron techron in the gas for the tripo to clean the intake and fuel system. Watrch for over heating with the thermistat sticking.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:47 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
Good advice everyone has given!

Yes, change all of the fluids, gas, filters, tires, etc. I would not recommend driving it at highway speeds for long periods until you know its OK.

Also one thing I didnt see mentioned I dont think are the fuel lines. Have as much as possible replaced and check the engine bay for fuel leaks in case any hoses under there have rotted or any fuel injectors are leaking from setting.

$2500 sounds fine and you are getting your fathers car.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:58 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
I also wanted to mention that since the car has been garaged, time has taken much less of a toll on the car. Setting outside for more than 2 years really takes a toll on a car if its not driven.

I had a 89 Pontiac Safari wagon that I had let sit for about 4 years (I did occasionally start it & move around the property) and it took a toll on it. Body and mechanical. It had engine problems, which is why I didnt drive it.

Strange thing is I traded it to a guy for a BMW (I didnt want the BMW, but I knew I could resell it easier). I told the older man that I didnt recommend him driving the car until he went over it (it still ran good and started fine, but was low on power which is why I parked it) and serviced it and changed tires (dry rotted), etc, but he didnt care! He hopped right in it and took off and didnt even have a cell phone. I think he lived 50 miles away. I never heard back from him, so I assume he made it. I often wondered. I guess since I never heard from him that he made it.

I have left cars setting for 4-5 months at a time with no problems.

I know a man that had a 1968 Chevy Caprice (this was in 2003 when I saw the car).... it had 12,000 actual miles. It had set for 18 years under some pine trees. Engine had stuck, interior had rotted out, floors had rusted out, etc. Sad.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:47 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,208 times
Default Old cars

I will share this, since it seems so impossible. I bought a 1958 F100 that had been sitting inside a garage for 9 years, and in Vegas to boot. (Bad gas, right?). I put a battery on it and cranked without touching the gas pedal, trying to build up oil pressure and trickle some of that stuff down the heads (yeah, I know, better to pull plugs and dose cylinders) but I really didn't think this truck would start. About 6 crank cycles in, the truck fired and ran. I have a lot of experience with all types of vehicles, especially classics, and I was stunned. Look for it, maybe, on Pawn Stars if they will do a before/after. After this miracle, I will believe anything.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:29 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times
What about the turbo charger on this 95 Mark VIII? One of the fears my brothers have is if it has to be replaced it could add over two thousand to the cost of getting this car back drivable, I know a guy who has a personal ford grave yard on his property, maybe 40ty cars and trucks ,half are daily drivers, it looks like he has some town cars and a couple of T-birds around that same age or body style, any chance the parts are inter change able? He would no doubt trade me sight unseen for a nice running 150 or 250 pick-up of equal value if I towed this car home.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:03 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
I don't think a Mark VIII has a turbo, I think you are looking at the 4.6 V-8. That's what Wikipedia says came in all of them, although they are semi-famous for not always being right.

Sounds like your brother does not know his burro from his burrow, so to speak.

If it's a 4.6, these seem to be pretty good motors, friend of mine has a 95 Cougar, it's a smooth running engine that's surprisingly good on MPG. Decent power, its no 429 CJ, but it does not have the thirst of that legendary prime mover either...

Old 09-18-2009, 04:02 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,057 times
Not a Ford Motor Co. fan usually but I've always liked the looks of the Mark VIII. If you could snatch it for $2500 and it's just been sitting in an attached garage for the last 5-6 yrs....wth not?

I'd check all the things that have been mentioned. It's going to need a new battery, don't know how comfortable I'd be with the tires....so if it'll make it to a tire shop I'd just plan on picking up a new set, and fluids....all the fluids. The A/C may be questionable. If the rubber o-rings at the connections have rotted and split then gonna need some work there. I had a 1994 Chevy Truck that had to have nearly all of those little o-rings replaced because the AC system was leaking at what seemed like every joint.

Check all the hoses and belts for cracking.

The rubbers may be all fine...it really depends on the environment it's had to endure.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:26 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,498,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don57 View Post
As the owner of a 1995 Mark VIII since new (I bought it for my wife), I'm going to say that your father's Mark VIII with only 40k on the clock is a cherry and would be a keeper. This car is a nice luxury/high performance vehicle. The 32 valve 4.6L motor with 280 hp gets @ 28/30 mpg on the highway. If he had it since new and had it maintained, you're in a good position to cheaply bring it back up to snuff. If you plan to sell it, these cars unfortunately are at a low wholesale price. I'd do at least these items listed.

I'd be iffy on that. 13-year old electronics are still just that.

These cars were notoriously pricey to maintain even when well exercised, so if the OP is on a budget, I'd pass the car on.

If this was a Grand Marquis or Crown Vic without the airbag suspension or that crummy digital cluster, I'd have thougth otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive