Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:40 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlincity View Post
I was just quoted $836 for two struts one in front and one in the back cause they are leaking? I am just a girl in the city and wants to know if this is a reasonable price. I have 2003 Eclipse..
Did this price include replacing the front strut plates and a 4 wheel alignment?
Do they give you a written estmate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 03:51 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Old saying but still true today... Try taking your own eggs into McDonalds and ask them to fry 'em up for you and see what happens. Same concept.

This is not the same concept because you are talking about FOOD. Regardless, if you could do this, you are much better off bringing in your own free range organic eggs for them to cook instead of eating THERE eggs that come from stressed out, drugged up, chickens that were stuffed in there cages there whole life.

Quote:
Bottom line: Auto repair shops are in business to make money and selling parts is a substantial part of that income. Take that away and the labor rate has to rise to make up the difference.

Another thing: There is no way a shop can offer any sort of warranty on customer provided parts and that can only lead to potential trouble down the road if there is a problem with the part. In that case the shop and the customer both lose.

You "ONLINE" mechanics are funny.

Most shops have a labor rate that is posted and they don't charge EXTRA if you decide to bring your own part in. Maybe that's what YOU would do (if you even work on cars) but I have NEVER encountered a shop that did this.

Furthermore, I would argue that the amount a shop charges for labor is actually where they make the bulk of there money, so certain shops don't care if you bring your parts in, so as long as the parts are NEW and they are the correct parts.

Secondly, if she buys a part online such as a Koni shock, Koni has a warranty that comes with the shock regardless if she puts it on herself or takes it to a shop.

So my point is, if she really cares about her car, and she does not plan to sell it, it's a better to buy quality parts yourself instead of letting the shop put on there cheep parts then charging you up the for it. Shops are notorious for doing this.

Regardless, girlincity, I'm just offering my advice and you don't haft to go my way it's just a suggestion.

Koni North America - ITT - Warranty

Tokico Gas Shocks - FAQ's (http://www.hitachi-hap-la.com/tokicogasshocks/faq/ - broken link)

Last edited by Morphous01; 09-20-2009 at 04:01 PM..

Old 09-20-2009, 04:04 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,772 times
Quote:
Did this price include replacing the front strut plates and a 4 wheel alignment?
Do they give you a written estmate?

Yes, sir!!! You bring up good points, except for her car it should only be the 2 front wheels that need alignment. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:28 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Yes, sir!!! You bring up good points, except for her car it should only be the 2 front wheels that need alignment. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.
Ummm... You are wrong.

Most shops now do 4 wheel alignment. And yes, we do know that 2 of those wheels are in the front, and 2 are in the back.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:10 AM

[quote=Morphous01;10842562]You "ONLINE" mechanics are funny.

Most shops have a labor rate that is posted and they don't charge EXTRA if you decide to bring your own part in. Maybe that's what YOU would do (if you even work on cars) but I have NEVER encountered a shop that did this.[quote/]

Not on any one particular job but if enough customers bring their own parts, yes the labor rate will have to go up.
So a shop should give up a portion of what they make on a job because the customer brings their own parts? If a given job is 75% labor and 25% parts, they should lose that 25% ?

[quote=Morphous01;10842562]Furthermore, I would argue that the amount a shop charges for labor is actually where they make the bulk of there money, so certain shops don't care if you bring your parts in, so as long as the parts are NEW and they are the correct parts.[quote/]

Wrong. The bulk may come from labor, but parts profit is very much an important part of this business.

[quote=Morphous01;10842562]Secondly, if she buys a part online such as a Koni shock, Koni has a warranty that comes with the shock regardless if she puts it on herself or takes it to a shop.[quote/]

If a shop provides the parts and there is a warranty problem, the customer is covered. If the customer provides the parts and there's a problem then what? You pay the labor again which you pointed out is the bulk of the money. On a big job like struts, you're paying twice for the same job.

Another point is liability. In this lawsuit happy world, I don't know of any reputable shop willing to take that chance.

[quote=Morphous01;10842562]So my point is, if she really cares about her car, and she does not plan to sell it, it's a better to buy quality parts yourself instead of letting the shop put on there cheep parts then charging you up the for it. Shops are notorious for doing this.[quote/]

You're right. You "Online" mechanics are funny.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
A lesson for you
http://www.hunter.com/pub/undercar/2470T/index.htm

Old 09-22-2009, 07:42 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times

With Morphous, I think you're talking to a 17-year old kid, not your basic adult.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:12 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,812,682 times
Quote:
Old saying but still true today... Try taking your own eggs into McDonalds and ask them to fry 'em up for you and see what happens. Same concept.
I agree that the chain shops are this way, but your local smaller shops will do this all day long and be glad for the work. Struts/Shocks are easy to replace for a small shop, so it's not like they have to go into the motor.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I agree that the chain shops are this way, but your local smaller shops will do this all day long and be glad for the work. Struts/Shocks are easy to replace for a small shop, so it's not like they have to go into the motor.
Maybe so. Every shop has a different policy. I've never worked in a shop that desperate for work.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
With Morphous, I think you're talking to a 17-year old kid, not your basic adult.
You got that right. Hey, did you buy that Econoline van?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive