U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-19-2009, 03:06 PM

4,214 posts, read 12,103,715 times

Advertisements

Actually there is one truck I think they still make with a spartan interior, an F250 super duty.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 10:13 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,073,213 times
Hate to bring it up, but I bought my 08 Tundra dblcb on 7/08 well loaded for way under 25,000$'s out the door, course gas was over 4$'s a gallon, the country was headed for a recession/depression and all the car lots were loaded with v8 pick up trucks. The way the prices have jumped I'm glad I did it when I did.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:45 PM

3,511 posts, read 2,498,020 times
Never bought one off the floor yet dude. I custom order everything because I want what I want and am not buying what some salesman thought he liked and what would sell. I want the options that are completely my choice. Gears, engine, carpet delete etc-etc. You can buy a stripper on the lot if you don't mind what color and how it is set up by the salesman though.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:16 PM

Well nowadays you get the basics options pw,pl,cruisewhatever, then you buy the oem parts and put them on yourself for penny's of what the dealer charges along with the aftermarket parts that you like. That way it's what I make of it and bypass giving some salesman all my hard earned money.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:55 AM

7,001 posts, read 14,598,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Latest issue of Popular Mechanics has an article on a Tundra work truck. Vinyl seats, hand crank windows, black plastic dashboard, 4.6L V-8 engine (I think it had 4x4), and all for $25,000. I wonder how many truck sales Ford, Dodge, and GM would get if they filled their lots with bare bones work trucks at a reduced price and offered the luxuary features for the commuter/non-worker?
I am a fan of Toyota trucks (and owned a couple), but they are WAY overpriced, because people are too eager to pay those high prices... even on the old the used ones with a jillion miles. The old 1994-1998 Toyota T100s are commanding very high prices and I never have known why. I like them and almost bought one back in 2007, but not paying those prices. The one I was interested in was a 1996 model (11 years old at the time) and it had 190K, interior was absolutely filthy and they still wanted $7500 for it and I am sure some clown eventually paid that for it! They are really not that powerful and have a reputation for blowing head gaskets (especially on the 3.0L on the 93-94 and even not that uncommon on the 3.4L in the 94-98 models), yet people still ask $$$$ for them and people pay it. The Tacomas are even worse... they have the reputation for rusting frames, especially in the salt belts up north, but still command high prices... especially 4wd extended cab models... they too have history of blowing headgaskets on some of the 90s models and even the older ones from 89-95 with the 3.0L have a terrible engine repuation, but people shell out the $ for them.

I ended up buying a nice 2000 Tundra SR5 V8 4wd extended cab, with 97K for $9500, which was a good deal I think... could not afford the gas and payment (this was when gas was $4.30 a gallon), so I sold it for payoff. Sold too cheap apparently, because they are still selling for more than that, in even worse condition three years later.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:59 AM

That's the main Gripe I had about my 97 Dodge, it was a legend of a truck, but a few years after owning it I would have had to all but give it away to get out of it, my 08 Tundra that I have owned for 2 years I could probably sell for what I bought it for, talk about not being upside down.

You could most definetly get 9500$'s for a 2000 tundra 4wd v8 in good shape, there are bunches of them running strong with 200k+ out there.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Status: "The Union forever! Down with the traitors." (set 22 days ago)

13,677 posts, read 17,571,806 times
You can get a Ford or Chevy truck configured virtually anyway you want. That is why they own the pickup truck market, especially the work truck market. I have fleets that buy stripped down F150's and Silverado 4x4's all day long for well under $20k. The cheapest purchase I have seen was a F150 4x2 V6 stipped down for a touch under $15k brand new.

It's nice to see Toyota trying and some small companies may consider a purchase of these if it's what they like, but Toyota (and pretty much all import manufacturers) simply don't have the support and programs of the Big Three when it comes to commerical and fleet purchases. It's simply not part of their game and they are not setup to do business that way.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:14 PM

43,294 posts, read 47,151,929 times
But all that really shows is that they are ot concentratig on the fleet market. in fact in vehicles they do not concentrate i fllet sales. Why;because bascailly that is not where the money is. In fact if you look at trucks they more and more are aimed at the very high end. Just look where actaully the big 3 still make the majority fo their profits'SUVs and trucks and most of that is from the highend.Remember when it was said that the japansese could never make a vehicle that the american public would buy in mass numbers. Well tehy now doaite that amrket in just figurations that even the big 3 have adopted.It has to be remmeebr that Toyota actaully just resently got into the the full size market afterall. They clearly have diredcted aims o what portion they want to compete in by their offering ;just as we see the big 3 aiming to clearly increase their sales away from mostly trucks and SUVs.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
You could most definetly get 9500$'s for a 2000 tundra 4wd v8 in good shape, there are bunches of them running strong with 200k+ out there.
Oh yeah... I listed that truck on a local classifieds site and within 10 minutes I was getting calls! I had like 8 people wanting to see it on that Saturday morning. I told them all I would drive it to work and they were welcome to come see it. Some middle aged couple was there waiting, took it for a spin, came back and said they would buy it. Didnt even try to talk me down. I wonder why? lol. I still owed $9400 on it, priced it for $9500, as it was due for a timing belt @ 105K when I sold it.

I should have priced it for $11K, probably could have got that for it, but I didnt want to price gouge like so many of these people do when selling Toyota trucks, lol.

Now I want another and cant afford it right now, which is why I guess I get upset when I see someone ask $5000-9000 for a 18 year old Toyota truck.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:29 PM

Here is a prime example (and typical around here)... here is a local 2005 Tacoma... this truck is 5 years old, has 70K miles and he is asking $19,000....

Looks like the pic was taken back in the winter....

2005 TOYOYA TACOMA TRD 4X4 (http://tricities.craigslist.org/cto/1978904264.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive