Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 04:45 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,716,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Heres a good one for you teen drivers ......A device that feeds your differant speeds into the cars ECU and recorded. Then when you have your car inspected it can show if you have been speeding and an automatic fine will be added to your inspection bill. The money will go to promote safe driving....Great idea The cops wouldnt have to spend time giving out speeding tickets and could have more time to do real police work...Only someone who wants to be able to speed should object.( I should be paid for such smart ideas)
I think you belong in Great Britain or some other European nanny state. You have some absurd and extremely intrusive ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 04:51 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,171,871 times
Quote:
Heres a good one for you teen drivers ......A device that feeds your differant speeds into the cars ECU and recorded. Then when you have your car inspected it can show if you have been speeding and an automatic fine will be added to your inspection bill. The money will go to promote safe driving....Great idea The cops wouldnt have to spend time giving out speeding tickets and could have more time to do real police work...Only someone who wants to be able to speed should object.( I should be paid for such smart ideas)
not that i agree with the idea, but why would you limit it to teenagers?

anywho, to lighten it up a little.....

i don't understand why my Scion xB has features like tilt wheel, power windows, power door locks, cruise, iPod hook-up, headphone jack, etc, but i only have ONE intermittent wiper setting. it sucks! my brother's completely bare 02 Focus has NONE of the options i have listed above, but at least he has 5 or 6 different intermittent wiper settings.

Mike

Old 09-20-2009, 06:53 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
GM solved this almost 60 years ago with the "Autronic Eye".
My '69 Cadillac Fleetwood has that option. It is called "Guide-Matic" auto dimmer.

It also has cruise control.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
My '69 Cadillac Fleetwood has that option. It is called "Guide-Matic" auto dimmer.

It also has cruise control.
Oh awesome... It is a pretty rare option. Is yours in working order? Also how easily do you think I could install an OEM cruise control unit onto my '68 (which does not have it)?

Old 09-21-2009, 11:31 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,138,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
not that i agree with the idea, but why would you limit it to teenagers?

anywho, to lighten it up a little.....

i don't understand why my Scion xB has features like tilt wheel, power windows, power door locks, cruise, iPod hook-up, headphone jack, etc, but i only have ONE intermittent wiper setting. it sucks! my brother's completely bare 02 Focus has NONE of the options i have listed above, but at least he has 5 or 6 different intermittent wiper settings.

Mike
Not just teens but everyone. The number one cause of deaths in teens is car wrecks, The number one factor in these wrecks is speed. Logic says teens would protest the most about my idea.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:50 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
I think only "safety" features should be standard. But if I get to put something out there.. I'd say a tiered licensing scheme (okay - this isn't a car option...) - like in racing. The higher "level" of license you have, the more things you're allowed to do/buy. Don't know how to effectively change lanes or merge into traffic... you can only buy a lawn mower. And if you're caught talking on a cell while driving... automatic demotion to the lawn mower license.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Not just teens but everyone. The number one cause of deaths in teens is car wrecks, The number one factor in these wrecks is speed. Logic says teens would protest the most about my idea.
So bump up the required age of driving to 18. It's 16 here in NY and there are other states lower than that... its absolutely ridiculous. Why is it that kids can't buy cigarettes at a certain age but they can operate 2 ton weapons of destruction? I would rather have stricter initial requirements to driving rather than your suggested intrusive monitoring/policing systems.

Another huge problem is that parents purchase and insure their kids vehicles. Parents who do this are irresponsible. I'm sure you all dream that your teens respect you for paying for all their vehicle needs but I have yet to meet a responsible driving teen that had someone else foot the bill, they all operate the vehicles like retards and drive them into the ground with abuse. Little Billy can do no wrong... he deserves a vehicle as a reward... bull$hit. They don't care because there are no monetary consequences to their actions. I didn't get any assistance AT ALL for my vehicles. I was paying $180 a month for basic insurance, filling up the giant tanks of my V8 vehicles I found for cheap... man I had to bust my ass to drive those things! Have yet to be in any sort of an accident/wreck.... its just too expensive to be a poor driver. Teen drivers learn real quick how pricey a heavy foot and fearless driving is when the insurance, gas and repair bills deplete their little minimum wage paychecks.

Now... lets hear all the excuses and poor reasoning parents have behind paying for everything.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:28 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
HMM I think they would test it on teens see how much money the fines make then they would make eveyone have them no matter what age or driving experience.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:25 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
I think you belong in Great Britain or some other European nanny state. You have some absurd and extremely intrusive ideas.
More like North Korea...

Old 09-21-2009, 01:30 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
So bump up the required age of driving to 18. It's 16 here in NY and there are other states lower than that... its absolutely ridiculous. Why is it that kids can't buy cigarettes at a certain age but they can operate 2 ton weapons of destruction? I would rather have stricter initial requirements to driving rather than your suggested intrusive monitoring/policing systems.

Another huge problem is that parents purchase and insure their kids vehicles. Parents who do this are irresponsible. I'm sure you all dream that your teens respect you for paying for all their vehicle needs but I have yet to meet a responsible driving teen that had someone else foot the bill, they all operate the vehicles like retards and drive them into the ground with abuse. Little Billy can do no wrong... he deserves a vehicle as a reward... bull$hit. They don't care because there are no monetary consequences to their actions. I didn't get any assistance AT ALL for my vehicles. I was paying $180 a month for basic insurance, filling up the giant tanks of my V8 vehicles I found for cheap... man I had to bust my ass to drive those things! Have yet to be in any sort of an accident/wreck.... its just too expensive to be a poor driver. Teen drivers learn real quick how pricey a heavy foot and fearless driving is when the insurance, gas and repair bills deplete their little minimum wage paychecks.

Now... lets hear all the excuses and poor reasoning parents have behind paying for everything.
Amen to all that. Particularly boys, no way should you give them a car, let them work for it.

Ideally get a "builder" when they are about 14, help them go through it, something old and simple, in a non-rusting climate the old air-cooled bug is still a very valid first car.

As I have posted before, I dug ditches in the Georgia summer heat to earn money for my first bike - which I still have, in good condition, in the garage...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive