Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:59 AM

989 posts, read 2,490,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I am just curious about something. Why do so many (mostly middle aged American men) feel that they have to have such a big/fast/heavy vehicle? Is it to make up to other things? Is it an overflow of testosterone? What makes a guy feels it has to have a huge gas guzzling motor that blows black smoke? How on earth can this be considered "cool"?
I'm not starting this knock anyone, just trying to understand. I'm a 33 yo male and have never understood this at all. I always look for gas mileage, safety ratings, comfort, and styling VS having a huge hunk of steel. Just seems to be a big thing here in the states opposed to most places overseas. Is it a U.S. mentality? Once again, don't get upset with me I'm just trying to understand why this mode of thought is so prevalent here. Thanks.
Some folks are tradesmen, own ranches or are handymen who use their work trucks for personal use as well. Some people just like big cars and trucks, and whether out of necessity or taste, are fine with the associated cost. To each his or her own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 11:33 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,247,099 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i feel very powerful when i drive my car, that is bek

its paid for

paid for

paid for

paid for

Old 09-24-2009, 11:50 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,247,099 times
Quote:
I let you guess, and your wrong. Sorry. I do enjoy driving my car and I don't see it is "A to B". I just don't need a MacLaren (yes I am familiar with them, but prefer the Bugatti Veyron if I were a Bazillionaire) to make me feel important.
and see. there you go. obviously, "the issue" is with you, not everyone else. i may just be out enjoying my hobby, the fruits of my own labor, and minding my own business. but in your mind, you assume that this is something i need in order to "feel important."

it sounds like what you really want to do is compare penis size and are therefore calling out everyone who society has, through ongoing feminization, allowed to be deemed as engaging in some form of penile substitution. well, i beleive youre barking up the wrong tree. nobody here is interested in the size of your schlong.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:43 PM

17,113 posts, read 56,733,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
and see. there you go. obviously, "the issue" is with you, not everyone else. i may just be out enjoying my hobby, the fruits of my own labor, and minding my own business. but in your mind, you assume that this is something i need in order to "feel important."

it sounds like what you really want to do is compare penis size and are therefore calling out everyone who society has, through ongoing feminization, allowed to be deemed as engaging in some form of penile substitution. well, i beleive youre barking up the wrong tree. nobody here is interested in the size of your schlong.
Oi! Well put. I was going to reply but you have already covered all the bases.

I can see the point that the OP was trying to make, maybe, that a few posurs buy a big or powerful car to try to impress - somebody - not clear who...that and the "big pickup/big SUV" craze never made any particular sense to me, they seem about as dynamic and fun as a school bus - but if you are a motoring enthusiast, you already understand why people like high-horsepower cars.

But, again, good point about the feminaziation of our so-called society - James Dean would not have understood the point of the question at all, God rest his soul...them were better days I think, don't know for sure, I was never there.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:02 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,889,779 times
I buy a car to impress only myself. I typically prefer something with good power and more importantly a finely tuned chassis with great handling and braking capability. My G35 and the 300ZX before that serve those duties very well.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:50 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,003,144 times
Quote:
I drove my friend 2005 Mustang GT and I liked it. I had an Iroc-Z when I was 18. I know the feeling of a fast car, it feels good, what I am asking is why it's such a big deal. After I used his stang for the day I was perfectly fine getting back into my "appliance."
I just don't see why the power thing is such a touchy subject.
I don't think power is a touchy subject with anyone except you.

You enjoyed a Mustang GT, but can live without it. Good for you.

Perhaps you are passionate about something else that others think is crazy. You know women who like shoes? Or purses? Crazy to me but that's their thing.

I love cars. I love the science, the engineering, and the craftsmanship of a great vehicle. I can't stand crappy vehicles. I like how cars have evolved to what they are today - and will continue to evolve.

I like the 290 hp in 3.2L in my NSX. I like its aluminum chassis and body. I like its Japanese "soul." And I like many other vehicles. I hope I can always afford a vehicle that makes me happy when I drive it.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:58 PM

11,154 posts, read 29,150,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I don't think power is a touchy subject with anyone except you.

You enjoyed a Mustang GT, but can live without it. Good for you.

Perhaps you are passionate about something else that others think is crazy. You know women who like shoes? Or purses? Crazy to me but that's their thing.

I love cars. I love the science, the engineering, and the craftsmanship of a great vehicle. I can't stand crappy vehicles. I like how cars have evolved to what they are today - and will continue to evolve.

I like the 290 hp in 3.2L in my NSX. I like its aluminum chassis and body. I like its Japanese "soul." And I like many other vehicles. I hope I can always afford a vehicle that makes me happy when I drive it.
Awsome rep for you my SO thinks I am nuts spending my money on bolt-on's or spending my time working on my car or truck but that is what enjoy doing I mean I find the designs of some cars to be art and should be appreciated as such. there is somtehing about the sound of a cammed up small block or whine of a superchager and the smell of burnt rubber that either you like it or you don't.

Last edited by GTOlover; 09-24-2009 at 04:06 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 04:04 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,694,011 times
Me personally I like having a fast vehicle because there's too many idiots on the road that shouldn't be, and sometimes you have to just get around them if you want to get anywhere. Also because sometimes just being able to go fast is an adrenaline rush.

But also my "fast" cars tend to be weekend toys that are not driven all the time.

Life would suck if we all drove bland slow Toyotas and Nissans that you could get to your destination faster if you walked.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:29 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,444,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
To each his own, but I could never get tired of having a performance car as my daily driver. And for some, it goes beyond that...getting down to the nuts and bolts of the car, tweaking every last bit of power out of it, and keeping it spotless or modifying the heck out of it. If you have to ask what the big deal is, there's really no use in trying to explain because you won't understand.

Just out of curiosity, what do you drive? And how knowledgable are you about cars?
I'm 33. In my teens and early 20's I drove an 86 iroc-Z that I did all the work on, except for the deep engine work. I'm a handyman by trade so I know all about repair and work and tools. I guess I should have posted this in the Psychology section, because I'm really just trying to get to the root of what it is that makes one need that feeling of power in a machine.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:32 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,444,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post

Hahahaahahaa!!!! Your a real mans man! Xanax will help you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive