U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 11:41 AM

1,494 posts, read 3,287,823 times
Default How do I fix a large scrape?

Somebody scraped my front bumper so now I have a large scratch about 10 inches wide by 5 inches high. It's basically just a surface scratch, not too deep. I bought some touch-up paint at my local car dealer. What should I do before applying the paint? I was thinking of sanding it down a bit but I don't know if that would make it worse. What is the best way to apply the paint? The car is too old to get professionally repaired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 11:47 AM

6,987 posts, read 12,199,844 times
If the car's too old then slap on a bumper sticker.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
If the car's too old then slap on a bumper sticker.
I said old, not tacky

Old 10-02-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I said old, not tacky

In that case do it right the first time. If you can't do it yourself then take the bumper off and bring it to a body shop.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:26 PM

2,546 posts, read 4,357,615 times
for starters, did it remove paint from your bumper or take paint from his? i only ask because my sister-in-law had a few scrapes in her car that she thought were voids in her paint. turned out she had just picked up paint from the various things she had bumped into. a couple hours with some polishing compound (and some rubbing compound on the rougher spots) and i had it basically looking like new.

Mike

Old 10-02-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
In that case do it right the first time. If you can't do it yourself then take the bumper off and bring it to a body shop.
The purpose of my original post was to ask for advice on how to do it right the first time. Your two posts basically just wasted my time.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
for starters, did it remove paint from your bumper or take paint from his? i only ask because my sister-in-law had a few scrapes in her car that she thought were voids in her paint. turned out she had just picked up paint from the various things she had bumped into. a couple hours with some polishing compound (and some rubbing compound on the rougher spots) and i had it basically looking like new.

Mike
It definitely looks like it removed paint from my bumper.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:15 PM

8,737 posts, read 20,561,569 times
Something you may want to try instead of trying to paint it is to get some rubbing compound and try to polish the scratch. If your paint is gone and the primer/plastic/whatever behind it is showing, obviously this won't work.

If your car has metallic paint, and if you are not fairly experienced with spraying paint, your chances of making it look better with a spray can are slim, and with brush-on paint, nil. Sorry to say that, but I have painted cars before and this is just how it is.

You might consider getting it re-sprayed by an auto body class at a high school or community college.

You do need to sand the area with probably 400 or so grit wet type sandpaper before spraying.

Really you need to at least check a couple of books out of the library, maybe a DVD if they have one, spray painting is a skilled trade, you can't just grab a spray bomb and have at it.

You may find by shopping around, and/or being able and willing to take the bumper cover off yourself, that a pro shop will do the job cheap enough that it's worth it.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
The purpose of my original post was to ask for advice on how to do it right the first time. Your two posts basically just wasted my time.
If that's the case then it sucks to be you.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:03 PM

2,730 posts, read 2,287,148 times
Quote:
Somebody scraped my front bumper so now I have a large scratch about 10 inches wide by 5 inches high. It's basically just a surface scratch, not too deep. I bought some touch-up paint at my local car dealer. What should I do before applying the paint? I was thinking of sanding it down a bit but I don't know if that would make it worse. What is the best way to apply the paint? The car is too old to get professionally repaired.
This is what I'd do

Get some 1500 grit sandpaper (2) sheets
1 Large plastic cup
1 Bottle of Meguires wax in red bottle
1 Package of regular matches
Some rubbing alcohol
clean towels

Clean the area to be repaired then wipe it with rubbing alcohol cut your
sandpaper into 's dunk sandpaper in cup thats filled with water and go back and forth lightly, you did not mention the year, make or model so
I'll assume it has clearcoat on it this will be a white almost powder looking
stuff that will start coming off as you lightly sand.

Wipe it with a clean soft towel and use you fingernail to feel if there is a
ridge, if so repeat the above process if not take the wax and apply in
the same back and forth motion while overlapping and doing a bit past
the effected area so it blends in and brings back the luster.

If this is working so far take the rubbing alcohol and wipe over just the
area to be painted then shake your touch up paint untill your arm gets sore then switch arms you can never shake it enough

Take a piece of cardboard and drop about 10 good sized drops of paint
on it then pull out a match sitck and use the cardboard end to apply
a small coat to the scratch LET IT DRY ! then add another coat(s) until
it's filled in, taking your time here WILL pay off

After all is dry and hard at least 24hrs reapply wax very lightly again
in a back and forth motion using the blending area method.

Good Luck

and YES YOU can do it !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive