Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:13 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,834,468 times

Advertisements

My dad arced the shoes to fit the drum at his shop in Monrovia Calif during the early/mid 50's.

Remember him putting a set of Buick shoes on my caddy that were the same shoes only a different part number and of course a different whlse/retail price to the customer.

That kind of stuff still continues today I'm sure. Higher price cars always carry a stiff price accordingly.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 12:56 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
I still arc the shoes for my cars and rivet the linings too

Old 10-09-2009, 08:44 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,630,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Patrick View Post
Question about changing brake pads: what is the black grease packet for?

When I changed my pads, the new pads came with a small packet of grease but the instructions didn't state what to do with it. I checked every YouTube video I could find about changing pads and none of them make any mention about greasing anything either. The brakes seem to be working fine without it.

Grease or graphite? You apply graphite to the back of the metal backing to the pad and between all shims so you don't get brake squeal.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:21 AM

Yep...dad did redo the shoes with new lining via rivets and the material was a lot thicker as I recall.

Later on bonded shoes came on the mkt at a higher price...you had a choice...then the price fell slowly and the riveted shoes fell to the wayside. Have not seen one in a long time...then again the mkt and supply determines which way things will go.

Old things kinda get to the wayside. Just rememberd when I had a 37 Pontiac with a fuel pump fitting leak at the inlet from the gas tank. Would put a can underneath to catch the drips at night and in the AM pour back into the tank.

Dad told me to use some meat mkt string (separated the strands) wrapped around the threads and reconnected which stopped the leak. VOILA... the introduction of teflon tape for threaded fittings.

He did have some other methods for the auto trade which showed the ingenuity of mechanics of the past who did not have a parts house to rely upon.

Steve

Old 10-09-2009, 11:18 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Yep...dad did redo the shoes with new lining via rivets and the material was a lot thicker as I recall.

Later on bonded shoes came on the mkt at a higher price...you had a choice...then the price fell slowly and the riveted shoes fell to the wayside. Have not seen one in a long time...then again the mkt and supply determines which way things will go.

Old things kinda get to the wayside. Just rememberd when I had a 37 Pontiac with a fuel pump fitting leak at the inlet from the gas tank. Would put a can underneath to catch the drips at night and in the AM pour back into the tank.

Dad told me to use some meat mkt string (separated the strands) wrapped around the threads and reconnected which stopped the leak. VOILA... the introduction of teflon tape for threaded fittings.

He did have some other methods for the auto trade which showed the ingenuity of mechanics of the past who did not have a parts house to rely upon.

Steve
Like Knurling Pistons

Old 10-09-2009, 12:12 PM

Knurling the pistons sure did reduce the piston slap and oil consumtion...then again those days the HP was low so no harm ...no foul. Did it once on a straight 6 cyl engine...a piece of cake.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,839 times
i made the mistake of putting the grease on the pads itself how do i get it off?

Old 11-14-2009, 08:59 PM

105 posts, read 146,671 times
Simple..! Throw em in the trash, and go buy some new ones...! You can try brake cleaner, but I wouldn't count on success.
Brakes are something an inexperienced DIYer shouldn't be playing with. A decent brake job is all that is between you and the person you migh kill..!

Old 11-14-2009, 09:00 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,262,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liteweight View Post
i made the mistake of putting the grease on the pads itself how do i get it off?
Not too sure about that. Try some Brake-kleen (or whatever brand of brake parts cleaner). You have to get all of it off! There is a possibility that you are SOL.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,120 times
the greese prevents the pads from wearing differntly or sweeking. I would recomed putting it on but you dont have to be in no hurry to do so its fine for now. but when its a nice day out and you have nothing to do just pull the tire and caliper off and put grease on the back of the pads. to remove grease dump some break fluid on it than wipe it off witha shop towel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive