U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:42 PM

9,215 posts, read 12,515,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Jtaik - I think Ford and GM are making SOME vehicles more reliable than the Asians. The Ford Fusion in particular has outstanding reliability. That is one of the reasons I recently bought a used 2008 Fusion. Many Fords are doing very well in reliability. GM is less consistent. Many of GM's new designs are impressive and I hope they prove to be as reliable as they are good. This is what they should have been doing for the last 20 years.

Chrysler on the other hand is a mess.
agreed ford and GM are buliding really good cars and all dodge has going for it is the cummins diesel and they don't even make it themselfs which is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 05:02 PM

51 posts, read 122,880 times
Quote:
Chrysler on the other hand is a mess.
Chrysler has the best drivetrain warranty in the business...LIFETIME.

http://www.chrysler.com/en/lifetime_...rain_warranty/

Old 10-14-2009, 06:36 PM

89 posts, read 268,096 times
Quote:
Cars I think you should consider:

Mazda3 - best handling in its class, stylish interior, dependable.
Kia Forte - brand new so this model is unproven but incredible package for the money
Honda Civic - still a top car in its class and a better car than the Corolla all around
The Forte or Forte Koup (if you like a 2 door version) are definitely worth a look, especially if you are considering Hyundai as the two are sister companies.

Here are a couple reviews:
2010 Kia Forte Review - Kia Forte sedan small car drive and review - Motor Trend
2010 Kia Forte Koup - First Drive Review - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

Old 10-14-2009, 06:57 PM

6,543 posts, read 6,532,501 times
I've had Hondas for years and love them, but this year when I was in the market for a new car I found my favorite was the Toyota Corolla. You can't go wrong with a Honda or a Toyota IMO.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:18 PM

12,565 posts, read 12,545,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accept-logic View Post
Chrysler has the best drivetrain warranty in the business...LIFETIME.

New Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty - Cars, Minivans, SUVs, Crossovers - Warranties
It needs it.

Chrysler is offering this for the same reason Hyundai did - to entice buyers to buy their vehicles without worrying about some repairs.

Hyundai's plan worked - and their reliability has improved significantly.

Not one Chrysler Corp. vehicle is on Consumer Reports recommended list. They either score too low on their tests and/or they have below average reliability.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:53 PM

19,195 posts, read 50,052,500 times
Quote:
But talk to someone with a RAV4 or 4Runner, Tundra, Tacoma and you will probably find a very happy owner.
RAV4? Funny you mention that. Not too long ago my brother did a trans job on one (auto). Not only was the trans ridiculously expensive to replace (blew at 85K miles), but was THEE SINGLE BIGGEST PAIN IN THE ARSE TO DO. He told me that if someone offered him 10 grand to do another trans on a RAV4, he'd turn em down and **** in their face.

And while on the subject of Hyundai, we have one ourselves. We bought a GLS V6 Sonata new in 2001. As of right now it has 118K miles on it and is doing semi-ok. Had it not been for their warranty, I would have blown the car up a long time ago. Their warrantys are so good because without em? Youre broke as a joke!!!! Therehas been a laundry list of problems with our Hyundai, which started 2 weeks after taking delivery of it. Ready?

1. Dash squeak. Was the pocket below the radio that was squeaking. THeir solution? Double sided tape. Whatever, it worked.

2. Pulling out of the dealer after they fixed the squeak, we noticed a 6" scratch down the right side of the center console. We turned right around, grabbed the loaner right back, had to wait another 3 days to get the piece replaced.

3. Put on the defroster one frigid night to hear the belt snap and furiously flail about the engine bay. 1.5 hours later the tow truck shows up. Takes it to a Hyundai dealer in Rockford, IL (we lived near Oregon, IL at the time).

4. The culprit was a siezed A/C compressor bearing. BElt was riding around a siezed pulley and ripped apart. Hyundai tried to charge me $300 to fix. HA! I told them to stick it where the sun dont shine and fix our new car or else. They called back an hour later and said "its under warranty", we'll have it ready in 2 days. Come in for a loaner car. The dealer didnt have loaner cars so I had to get shuttled, along with 3 other unhappy Hyundai owners, down the street to a used car dealer that loaned out used cars to the dealers' customers. I got a fancy schmancy Ford Taurus that had more ashes in it than Mt. St. Helens. Im not a happy camper at this point.

5. 2 days later the dealer calls me, tells me the car is ready. I go up there, deal with the used car dealer to return my loaner car, get shuttled back to the dealer, and yada, yada, yada. Go outside, fire her up, hit the defroster button, car dies. I slam the door so hard Im surprised I didnt shower myself with glass. I go back in, give em Hell, get shuttled back to the used car dealer and back into the Taurus. Get car back next day, fixed. ooooh ahhhh

6. Car starts humming. Bad front hub bearing #1 greets me not-so-gently. Fixed under warranty.

7. Two months later, the other bearing goes up front. Why the dealer didnt replace both while it was in there is beyond me. Anyways, another loaner, another bearing covered under warranty.

8. Airbag light pops on. Dealer clears it, states its a "glitch". Whatever.

9. Trans starts shifting weird at 50K miles. Fluid changed, jump in the car, floor it, hear a BANG! followed by a CEL. WOO HOO! No idea what it was. Had a friend clear the code. Hmmm

10. Right front hub bearing goes bad. Again. Another trip to the dealer.

11. Upon turning the wheel, the car would hop. A tire developed a huge flat spot, the belts caved in apparently. While the dealer had the car in the air for the tire/vibration problem, they noticed the drivers side bearing is going. I mean, really!?!?!?!?!?!?! Replaced another bearing!!!!

12. Brakes. I thought GM was bad with brakes. 4 sets on this car in 115K miles. Unreal. And getting them off? HA! Good luck my friends!

13. Then the rear hub bearings (both) decide they want to join the party. Both replaced under warranty. THis is getting ridiculous.

By now Im out of warranty and thats when the crap REALLY starts to suck!

14. Believe it or not, right front hub bearing goes bad. Take it to my friend's garage for some help (Im no mechanic haha). Inside the hub, Hyundai uses basically a gigantic snap ring, that had welded itself to the hub. 4 hours of cutting it out with a torch, piece-by-piece, before we could get the old bearing out. No hardware stores carry snap rings this big. A trip to Hyundai to get this specialty item was in order. Lucky us!

15. Rear window regulator (d/s) goes kaput. I dont have the cash to get a new regulator and have it installed. So in the meantime, the window is rigged to stay up. Its inoperable, but its up.

16. The windshield wiper motor eats fuses. Several of them.

17. Tabs on right rear taillight broke somehow. New taillight is on order, water is getting in the trunk now because the only thing keeping it in is the trunk itself (when closed). Open the trunk and the light falls out, held in only by its harness. Thats always classy having to open the trunk and grab the taillight before it damages the harness! WOOT WOOT

18. Now as of yesterday the wife reports to me that there is a grinding sound from the passenger front. How much you wanna bet that, you guessed it, a HUB BEARING needs replacement! Shock! At least we have a spare gigantor snap ring, we picked up an extra at the dealer because this car goes through hub bearings like Rosie O Donnell goes through a box of cookies. Im about to bend Hyundai's CEO over his desk and shove one of these dang hub bearings where the sun dont shine!

19. 2 days ago the gear indicator lights on the center console are out. Probably a simple fuse. I hope.

We've had the car 8 years now, and there is some rust beginning to pop up in plaes. Oh, the wheels. COMPLETE CRAP!!!! Clearcoat chipped off and the wheels rusted after 3 years. The wife doesnt care, but I do. And replacing plugs and wires on this car? Yeah, not fun. Not fun at all. Its a FWD V6, you can imagine.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:54 PM

19,195 posts, read 50,052,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
You can't go wrong with a Honda or a Toyota IMO.
If you like slow, vanilla, hard-plasticky cars without the slightest pulse, sure!

And yes, you can go wrong. Theyre not without problems.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:09 PM

3,537 posts, read 4,988,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Here's some info on the 2010 Hyundai Sonata:

Drip, Drip, Drip - More 2010 Hyundai Sonata images find their way onto the interwebs [*UPDATED] — Autoblog

2010 Hyundai Sonata officially unveiled in Korea - egmCarTech

And as for your ownership experience, I wouldn't have recommended the brand in 2003, but do today because of the notable improvements in the brand since then. It was really the 2004 and onward cars that represent the best improvements of Hyundai imo.

I think Honda and Toyota quality is slipping, and the cars are not that great, especially for what you pay for and for three year warranties.
Hyundai's website does not show the new Sonata as a 2010.

Hyundai Motor America: New Cars, Sedans, Coupes, SUVs, Minivans, Vehicles

I still think Hyundai's are cut-rate. I test frove an Accent out of curiousity and it had to be the worst car I ever drove. I tried the Elantra and while better than the Accent, it still felt somewhat cheap inside.

In addition, I believe that Nissan has made great strides in design and quality in the past few years.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:30 PM

5,010 posts, read 7,787,927 times
Check out Nissan. They make a great car in any price range, and offer a lot of features for the money as compared to Honda / Toyota.

A Sentra would be tops on my list in the price range you seem to be looking at.

Hyundai isn't bad, they just aren't that great. And Toyota and Honda are OK, but a lot of their reputation is a holdover from 10 or so years ago. They are riding the coattails of that.

Ford is also making some great cars right now.

Skip Chevy for anything other than trucks / SUV's, and skip Chrysler all together.

You would definitely do yourself a disservice if you don't check out Nissan.

***All of the above is based on several years of car sales and used car management.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:34 AM

2,124 posts, read 2,948,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Wait a little bit for the new Ford Fiesta. Think of it as a softer Honda Fit, and better looking, too!
My one concern about the Fiesta--and this may be true for the Honda Fit as well--is its very short gearing, at least with the manual. In 5th gear, the engine is turning at about 3,500 rpm at 65 mph. Maybe the automatic has a taller top gear. Otherwise, the Fiesta has gotten very good reviews and should become one of America's top small cars once it goes on sale here.

I like the Fit's versatility, especially the way you can fold the front passenger seat and back seats if you need to carry bulky stuff. But if the driver's seat is too uncomfortable, that's no good. So I would give the Kia Forte and Hyundai Elantra a good look. Avoid the Hyundai Accent. The Toyota Corolla sounds like it's been edged by the Elantra, and though no one's mentioned it here yet, I don't like the Yaris and it's center-mounted instrument panel at all.

How are Nissan's CVT (continuously variable transmission) automatics? Are they pretty reliable and make for a nice driving experience? I don't know if the OP would prefer an automatic or a stick, but why not give the Sentra a good look too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive