Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:01 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,772,702 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some straight, honest opinions. We have an old Neon (LOL) that was all we could afford at the time, I've been told to try to sell it outright but I'm a bit leery of that since I only speak English and I'm NOT trying to be petty, I also am leery about the whole experience of selling privately.

I'm very petite -5', husband is 6'4" - I want something I can see out of to drive, reliable, cost effective, etc.

I have previously owned: Toyota Corolla that I had for 20 yrs., a Nova, and (don't shoot me, I was only in High School) a Gremlin.

I am so confused as to how to figure out the best price, I always thought a new car was a waste of money but I don't know that for a fact.

How to decide? Went to a couple dealerships, felt like home sitting in a Corolla and I like how the seat height adjusts, sat in a Fit, liked the visibility but it was rock hard seating, have heard that Hyundai is the way to go but haven't actually checked them out.

We want basic transportation that is reliable, will get us to and from the occasional road trip but mostly it would be close in driving.

I would so appreciate opinions pro and con and any tips anyone has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 07:20 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
Cars I think you should consider:

Mazda3 - best handling in its class, stylish interior, dependable.
Kia Forte - brand new so this model is unproven but incredible package for the money
Honda Civic - still a top car in its class and a better car than the Corolla all around

The Fit is a very good car. My dad has one. Impressive room and fine handling. Those seats that feel firm at first may be much more comfortable over time than seats that feel soft at first but end up too soft later.

The Hyundai Sonata is a very nice car for the money but is a good bit larger. Consumer Reports recommends the Elantra but I have no experience with it.

I think only the Ford Focus is worth considering in this class for an American brand. It shares some underpinnings with the Mazda3.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:30 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,905,478 times
I would test drive a couple of Hyundai's. Their warranty can't be beat and from everyone and everything I hear they are the new Toyota minus the Toyo tax.

At least test drive a few. Good luck!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:01 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,701,017 times
There is a new Hyundai Sonata coming for 2010 that looks great (the current one looks good too imo) - I'd personally spend my money on a Hyundai over just about any Honda or Toyota save the Civic. The quality is on par with the Japanese cars if not better, they get 5-star safety ratings, the warranty is certainly better (5 years bumper to bumper, 10 years, 100k mi powertrain) , and old models are proving themselves to be reliable as mileage increases.

We'd really need to know what price range you are targeting to be able to give you more pointed advice. How long do you plan to own the car, what do you use it for, who primarily drives it, etc.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:39 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Wait a little bit for the new Ford Fiesta. Think of it as a softer Honda Fit, and better looking, too!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:41 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,715,835 times
New Malibu...

Old 10-13-2009, 09:04 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,476,084 times
Honda Civic. I am partial because I own one but I am very very happy with this car. I have zero complaints. Honda makes a better car than the other car and has proved themselves time and time again. Someone mentioned a Malibu and that's just a bad idea. For the cost of those ugly, poorly built newer GM's you could get a nice Honda.
I'd say Honda, Toyota, Hyundai in that order. Stay away from the domestic junk. Your already heading in the right direction, I'd try Honda first. Good luck and please keep us posted!

Old 10-13-2009, 09:05 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
The Malibu is a fine car but in an entirely different size/price class from a Corolla.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:39 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,625,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
There is a new Hyundai Sonata coming for 2010 that looks great (the current one looks good too imo) - I'd personally spend my money on a Hyundai over just about any Honda or Toyota save the Civic. The quality is on par with the Japanese cars if not better, they get 5-star safety ratings, the warranty is certainly better (5 years bumper to bumper, 10 years, 100k mi powertrain) , and old models are proving themselves to be reliable as mileage increases.

We'd really need to know what price range you are targeting to be able to give you more pointed advice. How long do you plan to own the car, what do you use it for, who primarily drives it, etc.

There is no new Sonata for 2010. Same design updated for 2009.

I would avoid Hyundai anyway. I owned 2 2003's and they were horribly built.

I like Nissan, but if you if I had a choice between the ones you provided, I'd go with Honda. Actually, I'd buy a Hyundai before a Toyota. Toyota USED to build quality. Now they just build crap and are relying on their once stellar quailty to sell cars.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:13 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,701,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
There is no new Sonata for 2010. Same design updated for 2009.

I would avoid Hyundai anyway. I owned 2 2003's and they were horribly built.

I like Nissan, but if you if I had a choice between the ones you provided, I'd go with Honda. Actually, I'd buy a Hyundai before a Toyota. Toyota USED to build quality. Now they just build crap and are relying on their once stellar quailty to sell cars.
Here's some info on the 2010 Hyundai Sonata:

Drip, Drip, Drip - More 2010 Hyundai Sonata images find their way onto the interwebs [*UPDATED] — Autoblog

2010 Hyundai Sonata officially unveiled in Korea - egmCarTech

And as for your ownership experience, I wouldn't have recommended the brand in 2003, but do today because of the notable improvements in the brand since then. It was really the 2004 and onward cars that represent the best improvements of Hyundai imo.

I think Honda and Toyota quality is slipping, and the cars are not that great, especially for what you pay for and for three year warranties.

Last edited by Sayantsi; 10-13-2009 at 11:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive