Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:38 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,160 times

Advertisements

call a scrap yard and ask for a wheel AND tire

bald tires wont make your brakes lock up though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 07:47 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
I don't understand the "smoke" part of this. Tires don't smoke under braking unless it is a full panic stop and the car doesn't have antilock brakes.

I assume your friend isn't panic stopping all the time - or perhaps that explains all the tickets?

If the car is smoking under normal braking then it has a problem with the brakes - and that could be a far more serious issue. Burnt rubber smells very different from hot brakes.

It might help if you tell us what kind of car this is.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:50 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
i think you are putting other drivers and including youself at rick by driving on a tire that could give out and cause and accident and possibly hurt someone I would bite the bullet and replace it
I would say ,perhaps, the diving habits that got her --3 very expensive tickets-- put more drivers at risk than driving on bald tires.

--3 very expensive tickets,--- bald tires, --money is tight,--- time to park that car and ride the bus.

Everyone will be much safer that way.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:51 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Big Cities usually have places that sell used tires. Many times you can get a good one for cheap. Get on the phone and call around if you have any place like that. Many people get a new car and drive straight to these place to buy custom rims and tires and trade in the new ones that were on it. The place I use I bought a tire for an old truck for 20 bucks free install. It still had tons of tread life on it.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:01 AM

Buy 2 new tires for the front and get the brakes checked.

Too costly?

The money would be available if she had learned a lesson after the first very expensive ticket.

Maybe she should continue driving on bald tires and start saving money to pay for her 4th very expensive ticket as it surely is coming being she learned nothing after getting her 1st very expensive ticket and learned nothing after getting her 2nd very expensive ticket.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:19 AM

605 posts, read 2,989,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
I agree the best tires should be on the front.
The tire industry recommends new tires be mounted on the rear to reduce fishtailing or hydroplaning. Google
"replacing two tires". I was surprised at that too, until my tire shop would not put the new tires on the front axle.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:28 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I recommend she go to a tire shop and see if they have some good takeoffs;if she needs cheap- tires. Many times they do.On the tickets ;which sounds like registration ;inspection tpye ;go to the court and ask if she can pay them offf in payments. Most courts will agree to this. That way she night be abler to get thatcar fixed to be safe to drive.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I recommend she go to a tire shop and see if they have some good takeoffs;if she needs cheap- tires. Many times they do.On the tickets ;which sounds like registration ;inspection tpye ;go to the court and ask if she can pay them offf in payments. Most courts will agree to this. That way she night be abler to get thatcar fixed to be safe to drive.

---On the tickets--

texdave, I read the OP twice and fail to see where those --3 expensive tickets-- have anything whatsoever to do with registration or inspection.

I read what was posted-----3 very expensive tickets-- and now her car license is coming due. ( that does come due every year, you know)

Old 10-16-2009, 09:25 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
---On the tickets--

texdave, I read the OP twice and fail to see where those --3 expensive tickets-- have anything whatsoever to do with registration or inspection.

I read what was posted-----3 very expensive tickets-- and now her car license is coming due. ( that does come due every year, you know)
I only had to read the OP once to see where she asked for kind advice, not a sermon.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:29 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,375,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
I only had to read the OP once to see where she asked for kind advice, not a sermon.
Amen Brother ^^^

It really tires me to see someone asking for advice get responses that turn in to: should have, could have and would haves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive