Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 08:32 PM

24,450 posts, read 25,984,086 times

Advertisements

I generally pay $19.95 to $21.95 for oil change with filter including fluid top off at my dealer. Sometimes they have other offers like tire rotation or other goodies + the Service Advisor is cute and they have free coffee, sweet rolls am Wi Fi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 08:41 PM

9,403 posts, read 11,150,657 times
The plus side of dealer servicing is that it (usually) gets into the car's database.

Try doing a used-car search. The carfax will often show dealer servicings. Otherwise, unless you have access to the paper records--if the owner kept any--it's nothing but a wild guess at what the vehicle's service history is.
I was recently looking at a 2003-ish LeSabre with 100,008 miles on the clock. Normally I wouldn't look at something with such miles, but this car had an air of cleanness to it.
Sure enough, it had been bought new at the dealership I'd found it at, the older couple had it in regularly for O&F and other items.
This car ran quiet, strong, and solid. I could have bought it for around three grand, it had the TLC that is often hard to find (and confirm) now.

Yes, they usually charge more. Yes, there are duds working at dealerships.
But if properly supervised and checked, dealer service can be OK or good.
And it results in a good paper/computer trail which cannot be duplicated at independent shops or by owner-performed maintenance. That is a very valuable side-effect at certain times.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:58 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,529,513 times
I'm with M3 Mitch; we found an excellent independent shop when we first moved here and have gone to them for EVERYTHING since. I get synthetic oil changed every 5,000 miles (most of my driving is highway) I know the oil change will be done right and with quality fluids. I've HAD horrible experiences with the quickie-lube places and will never go back.

While I'm generally impressed with dealer service, one situation keeps me away. Had to replace the driver's side mirror on my '92 Ford F150. (The mirror with the bracket that mounts in two places on the door) Without looking for myself to see what the work actually entailed, I asked the dealer's service dept. what it would cost on the way back to my truck. "Job Matrix says it'll cost $75.00" was the reply. (I guess the "matrix' is the modern-day flat-rate manual) Took it home to find that it involved only 4 screws that had nutplates behind them; 3.5 minutes worth of work, and I'm slow...

Old 10-17-2009, 01:18 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,407 times
Independent shops can be ok, but you still have to watch them. I've called a shop advertising an $18.99 oil change and asked them what type of oil and filter were they using. They reluctantly told me and I can honestly say I've never heard of either one. They usually buy the oil and filters in bulk and they make sure they get the cheapest.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:08 PM

7 posts, read 19,109 times
If you are okay with someone who probably flipped burgers last week working on your car, fine, go to Jiffy Lube, or Walmart. Find an independent shop who can do the work you need, and check your car over on a regular basis. Someone who will let you know if you have a potential problem and will work with you to budget your maintenance to keep your car in optimum condition. Also you might consider a local car care clinic to teach you how to check your car over on a regular basis.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:16 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Determining remaining pad life by checking the MC fluid level? That's a new one to me.
It works for BMW cars that have 4-wheel disc brakes.

Think about it, if you were speccing out the master cylinder reservoir, how much does it need to hold, between "full" and "minimum safe/normal/whatever" level?

For drum brakes, you just need to allow a reasonable volume of fluid so a slight leak won't deplete the fluid supply before a "reasonable, normal" operator would find the leak and/or top up the brake fluid before it uncovers the master cylinder intake port.

But for disc brakes you have to allow fluid volume to make up for the caliper pistons moving out to compensate for pad wear.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:53 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,013,445 times
My recommendation would be to find a reputable independent, especially for those who drive European or high performance vehicles. I have found that having dealer service for oil changes have no impact on resale value; buyers are more interested in price. I just sold my Saab and they not care where oil changes were made.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:56 PM

272 posts, read 215,771 times
I dont know if this has been said but never run an oil change more than 3000 miles, 3500 if your the forgetful typoe but no more. I ran a quick lube for many years and wrote service in a dealership and the mis cues mentioned in the original post would make me find somewhere else to get my vehicle serviced. You cna find excelllent quick lube and poor repairshops dealerships and vice versa. I know with in 2 minutes what the hells going on in a shop and conduct myself accordingly. It would be hard for a person who hanst spent that kind of time in the environment so the only thing you cna do is withold your business.

I know thats what would have hurt us but I had oil changes and service lined up 3 deep on 2 bays for 10 years

Old 10-20-2009, 07:13 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
3k oil changes? Do you own stock in the oil companies?

Old 10-20-2009, 07:28 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
Should I expect optimal service when I take my car to the dealer for an oil change? I had a coupon for $40. which included, oil change, multi-point inspection and tire rotation. When I got home I found that my washer fluid was only half full, the sticker said next change due was 3000/ 3 months when book says 7500 miles and the service reminder reminder display was not reset. HMMMM I wonder what actually was done.
Just put some washer fluid into the car and new cars have 7500 however,
my car goes into the dealer every 4 to 5 months. I do not drive lots, and the
dealer is near. I also get the free car wash, I feel somehow safer having the car for 2 times a year on the check-ups! They also treat me well so not a
problem! The multi point I get this or so they say every oil change which is 21.00 plus free car wash ? Tire rotation I just got new tires and buy 3 and
get one free, with the rotation for life? Anyway, I do trust the dealer, and
they have treated me great. Jiffy lube I could go to, but when the dreaded check engine light did come on the dealer did save me the 98.00 fee!
Also they check out other quirks for me as the alarm in valet mode, so if I pay more? Washer fluid is not expensive to buy. I also do know you pay more with the dealer, but I somehow trust them more! Also 21.99 with the oil filter and car wash seems ok to me!

Last edited by maggiekate; 10-20-2009 at 08:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive