Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:00 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,252 times

Advertisements

Wow, Drover, you just don't get what I am saying do you?

I do not disagree with what you have said, but do you really think that will end the problem?

You have to be prepared.

NOW, I have agreed with your concept of striving for the perfect world.

If you cannot accept that it is not going to happen and you should be prepared for it you are then you are just living in a fantasy world or...

you feel you just HAVE to be right.

SO, you are right. Everybody should be perfect.

I am wrong, we should not be prepared for those who are not perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 10:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post

I do not disagree with what you have said, but do you really think that will end the problem?

You have to be prepared.

If you cannot accept that it is not going to happen and you should be prepared for it you are then you are just living in a fantasy world or...

I didn't say everyone should be perfect. In fact I explicitly acknowledged that I don't expect perfection. So having said that, I guess I'm left to assume you have a reading comprehension problem. But just in case you're able to get it the second time, I'll repeat myself:
I don't expect perfection. I do, however, expect drivers to not deliberately blind other drivers around them out of sheer bone-laziness.
While the problem may not necessarily be eliminated, strict enforcement of a very basic procedure certainly can reduce the problem substantially.

And in the broader sense, I don't accept resignation to idiocy as the solution because there is no way to protect yourself against every contingency caused by idiots, even with the best defensive driving. A more sensible approach is 1) we take automotive safety seriously enough to actually crack down on idiot behavior, and 2) we stop giving drivers' licenses to every idiot who shows up with a pulse and fifteen bucks.

The latter is obviously easier said than done; the former could be quite easily implemented if we were serious about it. Simply saying "the problem won't go away so deal with it" is a backward approach and it's antithetical to addressing the problem of idiot driving seriously. Frankly, the rock-bottom standard of driving competence we put up with in this country is appalling.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:50 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,372,606 times
Quote:
If you cannot weather some snow coming off the body of and SUV, you should not be on the road!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you can't trouble yourself to brush off your car so you're not blinding the people behind you, you should not be on the road.
Quote:
I clearly spoke only of snow on SUV's, try reading.

I was not speaking of my habits as related to brushing off my vehicle, I was speaking of others that cannot handle uncertainty on the road.
Quote:
Nobody should have to put up with the "uncertainty" of being blinded by lazy sacks.
Quote:
Should and reality are two different things. I do not disagree that folks should brush off their cars, and that folks should not have to deal with it. But, it happens, and if you are not ready for it, you should not be driving!
Quote:
Right. People should be "prepared" to be randomly blinded by lazy jagtwits.

Uhm, no, they shouldn't. We should expect and demand a higher level of safety than that on our roads, and it reflects poorly on how casually we take automotive safety in this country that we don't.

How about we aggressively ticket people who have streams of snow pouring off their cars for creating an easily avoidable hazard? I bet if we did that, what "should be" and what "is" would come a lot closer to merging.
Quote:
Fine, you can expect all other drivers to be perfect, I will not.

It is called defensive driving.

I desire the perfect world too, but it aint coming any time soon. Reality, my friend.

The only thing we disagree on here is that gap, as far as I can tell.
Quote:
Defensive driving works best when people don't drive like a-holes as a matter of course.

We can bring reality closer to perfection by trying to enforce basic standards of safety. We have increasingly done so and it has brought clear results, but we're still far behind common-sense enforcement found elsewhere in the motoring industrialized world, where letting people stream sheets of snow off their cars would not be tolerated. Nor should it be.

I don't expect perfection. I do, however, expect drivers to not deliberately blind other drivers around them out of sheer bone-laziness. I hardly think that's too much to expect. But I guess we as a "me me me" nation would rather have one of the highest accident and fatality rates in the industrialized world than expect or demand a rudimentary level of consideration for others just as a matter of public safety. The simple fact of the matter is there are loads of people who have no business being on the roads but they're out there anyway because we give away drivers' licenses like they're a birthright rather than a serious responsibility. The fact that we should be expected to tolerate others deliberately impairing our vision is about a fine example of such as I can think of.
Quote:
I don't disagree, but you know they are out there, be prepared for it.

Enough said, if you don't understand that, I am done with it.
Quote:
We should not tolerate drivers deliberately impairing other drivers' vision because they can't trouble themselves with three minutes' worth of extra work. Enough said, if you don't understand that, you're part of the problem.
Quote:

You have to be prepared.

Quote:
I didn't say everyone should be perfect. In fact I explicitly acknowledged that I don't expect perfection. So having said that, I guess I'm left to assume you have a reading comprehension problem. But just in case you're able to get it the second time, I'll repeat myself:
I don't expect perfection. I do, however, expect drivers to not deliberately blind other drivers around them out of sheer bone-laziness.
While the problem may not necessarily be eliminated, strict enforcement of a very basic procedure certainly can reduce the problem substantially.

And in the broader sense, I don't accept resignation to idiocy as the solution because there is no way to protect yourself against every contingency caused by idiots, even with the best defensive driving. A more sensible approach is 1) we take automotive safety seriously enough to actually crack down on idiot behavior, and 2) we stop giving drivers' licenses to every idiot who shows up with a pulse and fifteen bucks.

The latter is obviously easier said than done; the former could be quite easily implemented if we were serious about it. Simply saying "the problem won't go away so deal with it" is a backward approach and it's antithetical to addressing the problem of idiot driving seriously. Frankly, the rock-bottom standard of driving competence we put up with in this country is appalling.

Wow, you 2 should get a room.....Your killin tha thread

Old 10-23-2009, 01:36 AM

227 posts, read 535,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
ALBANY, N.Y. — New York state wants to crack down on truckers who rely on satellite devices to direct them onto faster but prohibited routes and end up crashing into overpasses that are too low for their rigs.

Gov. David Paterson on Wednesday proposed penalties including jail time and confiscation of trucks to come down on drivers who use GPS — global positioning systems — to take more hazardous routes and end up striking bridges.

GPS Causing Truckers to Crash Into Bridges - Auto - FOXNews.com
They also use side routes to steer themselves around all of those government revenue pitstops , oops, I meant truck scales.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:34 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,527,248 times
Several years ago, I had a sheet of ice fall off my trailer and it tore off the holder for the trailer air & electrical lines from the back of the cab. Yes, snow & ice on top of vehicles are a pain. But we can't make laws to prevent every hazard of life. Expecting trucking companies to clear their trailers of snow & ice would be cost-prohibitive and likely injure/kill more people than are currently harmed by the ice & snow atop truck trailers now. Imagine how dangerous it'd be to get atop a 13'6" trailer to clean ice from a fiberglass roof... I'm sorry, but this is nothing but a "revenue grab"

BTW, I got charged an extra "oversize vehicle" fee on the PA Turnpike because my standard 13'6" trailer had snow on top of it...

Old 10-24-2009, 03:08 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
Don't they have mapping available for this market? You would figure they would. They sell paper maps just for truckers. In some places you have to have them or know the area well such as in Chicago where there are only a few streets that a truck can use to clear the "L" (subway) tracks overhead.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:09 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona1 View Post
They also use side routes to steer themselves around all of those government revenue pitstops , oops, I meant truck scales.
If you are not overweight, why worry about the scales?

Old 10-24-2009, 03:17 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,527,248 times
Yes, there are GPS programs available for commercial vehicles. My company has one in our trucks, actually. I never use it because I'm on a dedicated retail account and know where all of my stores are.

Absolutely right, KevK! You don't have to worry about the scales if you always run legally!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive