Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:44 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,384,349 times

Advertisements

ALBANY, N.Y. — New York state wants to crack down on truckers who rely on satellite devices to direct them onto faster but prohibited routes and end up crashing into overpasses that are too low for their rigs.

Gov. David Paterson on Wednesday proposed penalties including jail time and confiscation of trucks to come down on drivers who use GPS — global positioning systems — to take more hazardous routes and end up striking bridges.

GPS Causing Truckers to Crash Into Bridges - Auto - FOXNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 11:48 PM

527 posts, read 1,315,125 times
Wow, that's interesting I didn't see that one coming. But what is weird is that the other day I looked up at an 18 wheeler as I was passing it and the guy had a nice gps setup right there in the corner on the window. And I thought to myself "that's probably really useful for the distance they travel". I guess it's not so smart of an idea for urban driving where there's alot of bridges and such.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:55 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,341,649 times
I'm sorry, but thats funny

Old 10-20-2009, 12:01 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,341,571 times
lol I saw this happen last week-

Old 10-20-2009, 12:16 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
So John, what's your take on the proposed legislation?

Old 10-20-2009, 07:11 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,628,292 times
They're saying it's not fair to require truckers to have proper GPS systems.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:28 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,630,423 times
Sounds like there's a market for a truck-based GPS system loaded with truck approved roads. Cha Ching!

Old 10-20-2009, 08:43 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,699,467 times
GPS causing truckers to hit bridges??? What???

Did the GPS units also take out all the traffic signs and overpass height signs? This is nothing more than pointing a finger at a inanimate object as a result of lazy habits and bad driving. Last I checked you can still take a different route no matter what the GPS says if you should happen to actually read a road sign that prohibits your vehicle from traveling on it, or an overpass with too low of clearance. I fail to see why you would need stiffer fines and punishment for truckers who are using GPS units and have an accident, over those who have an accident and NOT have a GPS unit. Fine and punish each the same.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:56 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,243,414 times
It is a problem in Westchester County, especially, where trucks are trying to avoid traffic on I-95 and 87. Connecticut has a similar issue on the Merritt Parkway. The problem is that the operator does not read the sign that clearly states commercial traffic (regardless of size) is prohibited from parkways, which causes a bridge strike and a corresponding traffic delay for other motorists.

I am for the parts of the bill that increase penalties, especially for subsequent offenses, and assigns clean-up/restoration costs to the carrier's insurance company as would be the case with most other sorts of accidents. I do not think that trucking companies should be required to go to extra expense solely for the benefit of NYS, however, especially if they do not need GPS for their particular operation.

If the operator uses GPS, they need to be aware of the signs that prohibit certain routes, since none of them are newly prohibited. Blaming the technology for operator error does not remove responsibility from the operator, since a professional should know better than to trust anything about their truck to "auto pilot" mode where they become the set of hands that enacts the computer's wishes.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-20-2009, 08:58 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,521,434 times
I agree with Bydand. Knowing your route and all the bridge clearences as well as how tall your truck is are all part of commercial driving. Pay attention out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive