Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 08:10 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,793,832 times

Advertisements

When replacing compressors using AC Delco parts there's usually more seals and o-rings than necessary to do the job. If you know anyone who uses Delco parts they'll usually have a stash of extra seals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 08:11 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,835,741 times
tried that, nobody had the right one lol

Old 10-27-2009, 09:35 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
Domestic car companies offer many models that get good gas mileage. What a shock!

The OP clearly doesnt know a thing about cars, or else he'd be confused when confronted with the fact that there are PLENTY of Japanese cars that ARENT reliable and suck gas like no tomorrow. I bet the OP would drop dead if he knew that a 400+ hp V8 American engine (Corvette) could run circles around any Japanese car, can still get 30+ mpgs on the highway.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:47 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
My wife has a 2004 toyota camry and it been perfect on relibilty as her old accord was.Ford s and chevy's are not near as relaible as they 5oo dollar you to death after three year sif they make it that far.
100K hard-driven miles on my Focus. Repairs? Lets see...

Sway bar end link: $20
O-ring and plug for my t-stat housing: $20
Total: $40

My last Toyota (Paseo) with 120K:
Radiator: $160
Thermostat: $30
Exhaust (cracked right after cat): $250
O2 (bank 1) sensor: $50
And I got rid of the car because the exhaust header cracked, the exhaust again broke, both rear shocks are blown, and just a few months after I got rid of it (my bro now owns is), the trans blew (carrier bearing)!

Soooooo, you were saying?

Old 10-27-2009, 11:38 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,090,528 times
I rented a 2007 Buick Lucerne in 2006. Curious, I looked under the hood and noticed the alternator said "made in Japan" or Germany... I cant remember, but I think it said Japan.

At any rate it seemed like a higher quality car than the 2008-09 Camrys I have rented.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:22 AM

1,628 posts, read 4,021,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Soooooo, you were saying?
Well...

in my 35 years of driving and car ownership I have had much better reliability AND enjoyment from the imports than from the domestics.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:17 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,699,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Well...

in my 35 years of driving and car ownership I have had much better reliability AND enjoyment from the imports than from the domestics.
And in 32 years of car ownership and driving, my experience is just the opposite.

Just different perceptions really. If you really think the imports are better, you will nit-pick the domestics to death and never be satisfied with one. The same holds true if you like the domestic vehicles in your evaluation of imports. There is NO denying the simple fact that the Domestic vehicles ARE better made now, and most imports are made cheaper than in the past. The tide is turning in which vehicles really are the better ones in terms of longevity and quality, with the Domestic vehicles once again rising to the top.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:33 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,793,832 times
According to the Chevy commercials, Honda makes a nice lawn mower. Or do they...?
American Honda Motor Corp. Recalls Lawn Mowers Due to Laceration Hazard

Old 10-28-2009, 08:59 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,699,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
According to the Chevy commercials, Honda makes a nice lawn mower. Or do they...?
American Honda Motor Corp. Recalls Lawn Mowers Due to Laceration Hazard
LOL!!

I saw that ad for the first time last night and thought it was kind of tacky personally.

Notice now that GM is "Govt' Motors" their ads are taking on the flavor of political campaign ads, have to bash the other guy instead of just standing on your own merits.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:11 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,623,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I am speaking from experience in getting a nwe vehicle always GM every four years for my entire career. Many had problems straight from the showroom. I alos had chevy and ford trucks for years and after htree they truned inot money poits even with mainteance. GM does seem to know how to make relaible staters;alternators. But then some of the alternators were found to have media in the bearings; so some disgrunted employeee probably.My wife drove her last Honda for 11 years .no problems and her current toyota for 5 with no problems. The honda and the toyota were/are as tight as the day they were bought.
We once bought an American car, a Saturn, for my DH hoping that GM's "different kind of car company" would produce a product we'd love. That car had problems from the very start. There was always something small going wrong and we spent lots of time at the dealership getting these minor issues fixed. The dealership was apologetic and pleasant about fixing everything, but we just got tired of it. At the same time I had a pre-owned Honda and it worked flawlessly. It's a shame, but there just wasn't any comparison between these two vehicles. The pre-owned Honda was just so much better than the new Saturn. Perhaps someday things will be different, but I believe from talking to friends, neighbors, and colleagues that our experience is not unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive