Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 12:25 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
...stating they offer better mileage than Honda and Toyota. Maybe a couple of miles better. But what about quality? What about reliability? They seemed to forget about these two issues.
First rule of advertising is too go with your strengths...

MPG has quantitative... no guessing about it and all vehicles sold in the US go through the same testing...

If Chevy has better mileage... then they do.

Instead of cause for suspicion... how about a little cheer

Almost sounds like your disappointed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 12:45 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
First rule of advertising is too go with your strengths...

MPG has quantitative... no guessing about it and all vehicles sold in the US go through the same testing...

If Chevy has better mileage... then they do.

Instead of cause for suspicion... how about a little cheer

Almost sounds like your disappointed

The gm cars have been better for at least the last 5 years, but the idiots in marketing missed out on driving that home in ads until late last year.
Hell, a 94 3.4 V6 camaro or firebird with a leadfoot driver (me) can get 34 mpg. Done it for over year before selling the car last month. The guy who bought says he can't believe he's getting over 36 mpg. Must be a slower driver than me. (not that it'd be hard to be slower than me!)

Old 10-26-2009, 12:47 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Watching most of those domestics fall apart.

So you've been in a cave of fantasty?

Old 10-26-2009, 01:27 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
My wife has a 2004 toyota camry and it been perfect on relibilty as her old accord was.Ford s and chevy's are not near as relaible as they 5oo dollar you to death after three year sif they make it that far.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:32 AM

365 posts, read 1,402,032 times
^ I hope that's not speaking from experience... if you can't get more than 3 years out of a new vehicle the issue isn't with the manifacturer.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:46 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
12GO - I think the following GM vehicles are very comptitive with Honda and Toyota overall:

GMC Acadia (and siblings) - great package, but reliability not as good as 4Runner, Highlander, or Pilot

(new) Malibu - very competitive. I would choose over Camry but not Accord
Tahoe/Suburban - competitive with Sequoia
Silverado - Toyota catching up with new Tundra
Avalanche - nice truck
Corvette - awesome
Camaro - excellent, V6 very impressive

Chevrolet vehicles in the last 5 years not competitive:

Trailblazer - crude
Equinox - terrible until new redesign
Cobalt - terrible
Aveo - terrible
Colorado - lowest "buy again" rating in Consumer Reports
HHR - you gotta be kidding
Impala - completely ordinary

Old 10-26-2009, 07:50 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
12GO - I think the following GM vehicles are very comptitive with Honda and Toyota overall:

GMC Acadia (and siblings) - great package, but reliability not as good as 4Runner, Highlander, or Pilot

(new) Malibu - very competitive. I would choose over Camry but not Accord
Tahoe/Suburban - competitive with Sequoia
Silverado - Toyota catching up with new Tundra
Avalanche - nice truck
Corvette - awesome
Camaro - excellent, V6 very impressive

Chevrolet vehicles in the last 5 years not competitive:

Trailblazer - crude
Equinox - terrible until new redesign
Cobalt - terrible
Aveo - terrible
Colorado - lowest "buy again" rating in Consumer Reports
HHR - you gotta be kidding
Impala - completely ordinary
Thats a pretty fair list... but if we are talking GM then your living out a lot of winners in Buick and Cadillac.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:38 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
I honestly hope GM has improved in quality and reliability. I've been a big GM fan for several decades. My current 2003 Chevy Malibu was my favorite car I've ever owned until it was paid off and three non-normal wear and tear items went wrong costing me a total of $1,800 within about a year. Leaking intake gasket due to dex-cool coolant, a problem known by GM for several years but not corrected except at owners' expense; warping brake rotors, another problem known by GM for several years across similiar platforms but not corrected except at owners' expense; and the failure of the sensor for the PassLock Theft Deterrant System causing the car to not start for ten to fifteen minutes until it resets,...if it resets, and not corrected by GM except at owners' expense. This Malibu was a huge step up in vehicle quality for GM when it was released in fall 1996. It was improved in 2000 with increased HP for the engine and anti-sway bar to improve handling. My brother-in-law wanted the 2008 Malibu but could not buy it due to reduced head room. He's well over 6 feet tall and even though the seat was lowered all the way down, his head brushed against the headliner. They ended up getting the TrailBlazer which has been a much better fit for them. Brother-in-law and nephew are both over 6 feet tall, they tow a camper about twice a year, and they tow a flatbed trailer for their T-Bucket car. It towes what they need while still having pretty good mpg. It's an 07 model and so far their only problem is the size of the rear cup holders.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:55 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Thats a pretty fair list... but if we are talking GM then your living out a lot of winners in Buick and Cadillac.
The OP was about Chevrolet - so I omitted Buick and Cadillac. I mentioned the Acadia because it was the first of that series.

The GM of today is far different than the GM of five years ago.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:10 AM

704 posts, read 1,872,273 times
My question about this is does the Malibu actually compete with the Accord? Wouldn't the Malibu be more comparable to the Civic? Should they compare the Accord against the Impala?

I'm just asking here because they say that Malibu gets better mileage than Accord, but it seems like Accord is much larger than Malibu.

Am I wrong here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive