Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who You Be Mad If Your Realtor Pulled Up In A $75,000+ Car?
Yes, They Should Not Display Their Success 4 6.35%
No, He/She Must Deserve It 42 66.67%
Depends On The Price of The House 20 31.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:50 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,403,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Why judge someone by their car? Maybe she's married to a man with money.
Or maybe HE is married to a woman with money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 08:04 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,058,777 times
Quote:
That's what I was thinking....they could be married to money. I wouldn't think the car was any indication of how good of an agent they were. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, not in the pretty serving bowl.

The only Realtor we've ever worked with who had a high end car (not $75,000+ but new model BMW) didn't last long. The first stop we made was a gas station where she made some snotty comment about how she never pumped her own gas. Instead of pulling into the full service lane she pulled into self serve and then expected my DH to pump her gas!!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:09 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
When one of my brothers was a Realtor he always drove Lincoln Continentals (when they were a real car) because, he said, "It communicated to prospective clients that I am successful, and therefore good at what I do." Worked for him.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:14 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,678,458 times
Quote:
Maybe she made her own freakin' money.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:16 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,180 times
I would be embarrassed to drive a benz or bmw if I was a realtor... it is so grossly typical and completely unoriginal of a vehicle choice for such a profession. A successful realtor; a well dressed individual climbing out of a silver benz with a starbucks in one hand and a blackberry in the other, all the while yapping on a bluetooth ear piece.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:04 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,662,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You are right in all points. The thing with the Realtor I was referring to though is that she deals mostly in property that is at the upper end for this area. It is HER, and not her vehicle that people find they can trust and work with, both buyers and sellers.
Cool. There really are some people who are born salesmen (women). I have a son who is that way. It has to be an instinct or something.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:15 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
It's my understanding that most all realtors make about 6% commission. As long as they were charging that, I would not care what they drove.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:24 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeViper01 View Post
Just wondering what your thoughts would be in your realtor pulled up in a $75,000+ exotic car? Something to the likes of a Porsche, Lamborghini, or Ferrari. Would jealously ensue? Would you think he/she is good because of the car they drive? Would you not want to work with them? Just a friendly poll to see what the thoughts are.

No, I wouldn't be mad if they drove a $75,000 car.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:27 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,662,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
It's my understanding that most all realtors make about 6% commission. As long as they were charging that, I would not care what they drove.
Yeah, that's right. It may vary a little from that percentage, but not much.

Of course, it has to be remembered that there are variables - such as if the individual Realtor both lists and sells the house, and if said Realtor is an employee of a company or owns the company.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:41 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Actually, the Realtor themselves only get 1 1/2 - 2% of that 6%. The 6% is for the listing. It is split evenly between the sellers and buyers agent. However, their firm gets the biggest chunk of that 3%. With the small portion of 1 1/2% - 2% that the Realtor ACTUALLY gets they have to pay their dues, fees to practice in the state, training courses that are required to take annually, taxes (at a higher rate as they are deemed "self employed"), gas, insurance, etc. All of those mailers are at the Realtors expense as well. They get a small advertising budget and anything over that comes out of their own pocket. If the Realtor has a "team" with an assistant they have to split that small portion of the commission that they "walk away" with. So the Realtor is NOT making 6% off the sale of ANY house. Oh, and some have to pay a "rental fee" to work out of some brokerage offices.

As for the original question. I could care less what car they pulled up in. Being that I have a BMW and 2 Porsches in my own garage it doesn't matter to me. Even BEFORE I had these cars I would not care what they drove. It's THEIR money to spend as they see fit. Many of the people that I know that own high end cars also have a beat up or older car to drive as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive