U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-02-2009, 05:06 PM

11,422 posts, read 15,146,565 times
Default any reason

why Valiants, Darts, Scamps, Demons, Dusters had the old fashioned handbrake (twist to left to release, pull to you to set) until the Volare and Aspen which replaced them finally used the modern pull lever to release, push down with foot to set?

Did the Maverick and Comet also use them? I am lost, what car replaced them? Was it the Fairmont and Zephyr? or was it the Granada and (what the hell was the Merc called!?)

why would they insist on keeping an old fashioned parking brake on a car that was reasonably contemporary?

and this is even more weird. why did 69(not 70 or 68) Furies, Monacos Polaras Chryslers have the ignition key hole to the left of the steering column? so drivers could pretend they were driving a 4000 lb foreign car? the 69 and 70 dashes were basically the same so it's not like the ignition wiring was any different.

almost like a bizarre response to GM cars which started their steering column key holes in 69, maybe Chrysler felt that had to be "different"?

God, how weird it must feel to have a car with the keyhole on the left!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 05:28 PM

8,785 posts, read 22,177,841 times
Well the key on the steering column was to work a Fed mandated steering lock, but the old-fashioned handbrake is IMHO better in most ways than the pedal way over on the left. Much easier to use as a hill-holder for stickshift cars.

Another advantage of the traditional handbrake is that on a car with a proper (manual) gearbox, it can be arranged so you would tend to knock your knee on it if it's pulled out when working the clutch, tending to make it a little more idiot-resistant and avoid driving off with the handbrake applied.

A tip. Never set the handbrake "gingerly". Set it firmly enough that if you forget and start to drive off with it applied, it will exert a noticable drag on the car and "remind" you to release it.

Another tip. Sometime, on a deserted road (make sure you are alone, no one following you) get up to 40, 50 MPH and stop the car with just the handbrake. This only applies to cars where the handbrake works full-size drum rear brakes, if you have 4 wheel disc, you know the handbrake is quite weak, just look at the parts - anyway. Every car that I have done this, I was amazed at how little stopping power it has.

Be careful with this stunt, keep the locking mechanism of the handbrake dis-engaged, push the button, turn the handle to the left, so if you manage to lock up one or both rear tires, you can immediately release.

I wouldn't even try this with the pedal-type parking brake.

Following the modern trends does not necessarily lead to motoring Nirvana.

As to putting just the 69 MoPar keys on the left of the column, no idea, maybe someone who is more into these cars will post up.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:39 PM

Default hey

I live in a nice section of the crazy Bronx, NY. No room here on the streets to do the handbrake trick these days. And other less charitable drivers are doing things like driving drunk and killing pedestrians!

thanks for the info tho!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:49 PM

6,994 posts, read 14,105,461 times
My mom had a 77 Maverick, but I dont remember, but from the looks of these ads, it appears that the Maverick/Comet did have the pull hand brakes as well.... look on the lower left instrument panel... I dont think thats the hood release. I think it was smaller and closer to the kick panel.

1973 Maverick w/luxury decor option... (on a side note, this car had cut-pile carpeting... something that as optional even on the base 1973 Buick Electra (which had standard loop-pile carpets! How odd is that?!

77 Comet, how was this for luxury?

Oh, to answer your other question, Granadas Mercury cousin was the Mercury Monarch, which was quite a luxury car when decked out....

Lincoln even had a version of this one... the Lincoln Versailles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
why Valiants, Darts, Scamps, Demons, Dusters had the old fashioned handbrake (twist to left to release, pull to you to set) until the Volare and Aspen which replaced them finally used the modern pull lever to release, push down with foot to set?

Did the Maverick and Comet also use them? I am lost, what car replaced them? Was it the Fairmont and Zephyr? or was it the Granada and (what the hell was the Merc called!?)

why would they insist on keeping an old fashioned parking brake on a car that was reasonably contemporary?

and this is even more weird. why did 69(not 70 or 68) Furies, Monacos Polaras Chryslers have the ignition key hole to the left of the steering column? so drivers could pretend they were driving a 4000 lb foreign car? the 69 and 70 dashes were basically the same so it's not like the ignition wiring was any different.

almost like a bizarre response to GM cars which started their steering column key holes in 69, maybe Chrysler felt that had to be "different"?

Old 11-02-2009, 11:36 PM

4,214 posts, read 11,609,191 times
Quote:
Not sure, but I'm guessing since they were all "low buck" cars, they kept the "old fashioned" thing going on. Then again if you remember the Chevy Nova....all the way up until it's end in 1979, still utilized an external hood release where all other Chevys had the pull cable from the inside.

Quote:

Again I believe it had to do with keeping it simple...you know the KISS theory. Yes the Fairmont and Zephyr replaced the Maverick and Comet. The Granada I think was just a mid 70's entry into the personal luxury car market, sort of what the Ford Torino/Ford Elite was doing at the time.

Quote:
Not sure on this....but also if you've ever noticed, the 1967-72 Ford trucks have the ignition switch to the left of the dash closest to the door. And they were like this sometime before 1967 too.

Quote:

Yeah no kidding I don't think I could get used to that one.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:26 AM

Default wow

brings back memories. i have a scale model car of a brown 74 Comet at home. I remember the Maverick's LDO option. The Valiant and Dart had a brougham option in 74. yes and all the luxury cars based on compacts like the Seville, Granada, Monarch, Versailles, and remember the LeBaron which was essentially a Volare with luxury trim? I have 2 1979 LeBaron station wagons in die cast scale models at home and they look good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive