Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 03:25 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,858,428 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, my cousin needs to find a good, reliable, independent garage near mebane, nc.... he has an 01 expedition that needs the air suspension replaced with the coil kit which i can buy online for $360, the ford dealer wants $450.00 in labor to do the job, that's absurd...

if you know of one, please let me know, thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 03:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
You might have better luck posting in a local NC forum.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:04 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Been beat to death before but many shops don't much like installing parts that the owner supplies himself. Just sayin'.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:13 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
You could go to cartalk.com and they have a section where people post reviews of mechanics they have used, organized by location.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:48 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,871,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Hey folks, my cousin needs to find a good, reliable, independent garage near mebane, nc.... he has an 01 expedition that needs the air suspension replaced with the coil kit which i can buy online for $360, the ford dealer wants $450.00 in labor to do the job, that's absurd...

if you know of one, please let me know, thank you
Try the shop finder on iATN - International Automotive Technicians' Network

Or...

If he has the time to sort through the wannabes and the bull, have him put an ad on craigslist. Go to the jobs section and under skilled trades have him put an ad stating what he's looking for. Keep in mind it's a crapshoot so it's buyer beware but you can't never tell. Lots of unemployed techs out there working at home or doing side work.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:38 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Any person that buys any auto part should bear in mind that a majority of mechanics will NOT install the item.

What happens is when a mechanic does the installation and there is a problem guess who is to blame?...thats right...mister nice guy the mechanic installed it incorrectly.

At my shop I installed a Generator for a person who bought it from a parts house in town. It would not charge. Customer called them (on my phone) and they said that I did not polarize it...you DO NOT polarize a 12V Generator...only on some old 6V generators. Four ******* hrs it sat at my shop tieing up my bay. I finally removed his part and told him to never come back again.

Too many stories out there. The headache and any liability is NOT worth it.

You buy it...you install it or find a sucker neighbor to help out.

Steve

Old 11-04-2009, 04:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Any person that buys any auto part should bear in mind that a majority of mechanics will NOT install the item.

What happens is when a mechanic does the installation and there is a problem guess who is to blame?...thats right...mister nice guy the mechanic installed it incorrectly.

At my shop I installed a Generator for a person who bought it from a parts house in town. It would not charge. Customer called them (on my phone) and they said that I did not polarize it...you DO NOT polarize a 12V Generator...only on some old 6V generators. Four ******* hrs it sat at my shop tieing up my bay. I finally removed his part and told him to never come back again.

Too many stories out there. The headache and any liability is NOT worth it.

You buy it...you install it or find a sucker neighbor to help out.

Steve
Or, you find one of the actual mechanics who aren't hung up on installing parts supplied by the customer. They're out there, and the smart ones 1) preapprove the part and supplier, and 2) make it very clear up front that any warranty claim on the part will have to be pursued against the part supplier and not the garage.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:10 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,858,428 times
Yeah, most shops aren't rolling in work up to their ears to the point that they need to turn away work. What would the difference be between the customer bringing a part in, and your shop ordering the part from the same supplier? Oh, I know, you don't get to make any profit on the parts. Don't need to do business with a shop that is run by someone without the intelligence to explain "I will install your parts, and you are responsible for their operation, all I am responsible for is correct installation" Simple enough, right? probably not though... It's fairly straight-forward of a swap to do. Nevermind though, thanks for those with the constructive information, he traded it in towards a chrysler 300...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive