Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 05:57 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,427,626 times

Advertisements

My '05 Grand Caravan makes this really loud whining sound when I first start it/drive it. It makes a louder sound when I turn the steering wheel. After a while (once the car warms up), the sound goes away or gets much lower.

I was told it was the steering rack and a mechanic put some sealant in it. That stopped the whining for a few months but now the whining is back.

I can't afford the $500+ to get it fixed right now. I just don't have the money at all and have nowhere to get it. I'm hoping the mechanic can do the sealant thing again. I've also read elsewhere that some people have paid upwards of $900 to get this issue fixed, only to have the problem come back within days/weeks.

Anyway, like I said, I can't afford to have this fixed at the moment. Am I in any danger in driving the car in this condition? What if this "rack" thing breaks while I'm driving?

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this with a Caravan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 06:07 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,561,660 times
We've got an 04 Grand Caravan, but it has no such problem.

Do you do anything under the hood? As in, have you check your power steering fluid level? It's possible that you have a slow leak somewhere. And if you can put some more fluid in, as well as some Lucas Power Steering Sealer, you might get some more time out of it.

It's worth a shot.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:17 PM

I don't know what you mean by "anything" under the hood? I have the oil changed regularly and when they're changing the oil, they check all the fluid levels, etc.

When I was looking around online about the problem, I came across and old forum on [domain blocked due to spam] where many Grand Caravan owners (2003 and newer) were experiencing the same problem. Some called Dodge and were told that, although a lot of people have called in about the same problem, many more have to call in for them to do a recall or have the dealers fix it for free (I bought mine used so I don't know where I would stand in all this)

Anyway.... anyone else have the issue or know about the issue?

Old 11-06-2009, 07:22 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
[quote=omigawd;11516941]I don't know what you mean by "anything" under the hood? I have the oil changed regularly and when they're changing the oil, they check all the fluid levels, etc. quote]

I take this to mean "no", you don't personally do anything under the hood. Which is a pity, if you would personally get in there/under there you probably wouldn't have the problem and would have more money in your pocket as well.

If you are going to a "stupid lube" type quick oil change place, who knows what they have added to what...

It probably isn't dangerous, but you may lose some of the power boost over time. Try to avoid cranking the steering wheel when the van is not rolling.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:30 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,092,426 times
like Omaha said. Try a bottle of the lucus first . I had a bad leak and worn out seals and a can of that stuff solved the problem.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:31 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,835,741 times
omigawd, if you know your way around under the hood, you can add some friction modifier (for rear axles) to the power steering fluid and see if that helps..

a squealing noise from a rack that goes away when the fluid is warm? usually its the pump, guess it could have a bad valve in the rack though...

Old 11-06-2009, 07:39 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,561,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I don't know what you mean by "anything" under the hood? I have the oil changed regularly and when they're changing the oil, they check all the fluid levels, etc.

When I was looking around online about the problem, I came across and old forum on [domain blocked due to spam] where many Grand Caravan owners (2003 and newer) were experiencing the same problem. Some called Dodge and were told that, although a lot of people have called in about the same problem, many more have to call in for them to do a recall or have the dealers fix it for free (I bought mine used so I don't know where I would stand in all this)

Anyway.... anyone else have the issue or know about the issue?
Sorry I didn't make myself more clear. I meant to ask you if you do any of your own mechanical work. I'm wondering if you check your own oil, or know where the power steering reservoir is at.

If you are able to, please check to see if there's power steering fluid in the reservoir. If there is not, you have a leak of some sort. Also though, you could re-fill it - especially with some of that thicker Lucas Power Steering Sealer - and get some more time out of your van.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:15 PM

I'll check the power steering fluid tomorrow and I'll get some of the Lucas sealer. Hope it works... I have a long-ish drive on Sunday and I don't want any problems.

Oh... and NO people, I don't do any of my own mechanical work. Those days are over for me. When I was younger, I had no problem doing this, that, or the other. Now that I'm a grown woman, a working mommy, and have no time on my hands, the last thing I want to do is start getting all dirty and greasy messing around with a car.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:37 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,628,292 times
Here's the place to get the best help: Welcome to The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club: Home Page

Old 11-07-2009, 12:57 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,090,528 times
Sounds like it could be the power steering pump. Try that Lucus as recommended.... good for PS pumps as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram