Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 11:18 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times

Advertisements

I prefer the LS*.

Compact, lightweight/aluminum, simple/reliable. The perfect American V8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 11:21 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Sorry... Definitely NOT going to agree the new hemisphere is better then the LS motors.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

LOL- Sorry, just reporting what we see on the dyno all the time. The advantage over the Mopars for the general mess engine is the overweightness of the Mopars vs. the camaros

Old 09-21-2011, 08:01 AM

859 posts, read 2,828,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Which engine is better between the GM 350 or the Ford 351?

Depends on what you want to do with it. Are we comparing the motors in stock form or based on after market parts?

If you are looking to make under 500HP or so I would say the Ford 351 is better. The ford has a much better oiling system which directs oil to the mains first then up to the heads. The heads are symmetrical and after market flow better than most chevy heads. Parts are plentiful and cheap. Down side is the 351 block is weak and most will fail just north of 600hp even on a turbo motor. Much lower if you plan to spray it. Stock rods, cranks and pistons will fail at a much lower HP number so after market internals are almost mandatory.

As for the 350 SBC. Stock head configurations are not the best but there are very good 23 degree aftermarket piece available or you can step up to 18 degree for even more flow. The oiling system is ok but does require an HV pump in anything more than a mild build. After market support is huge so you can get just about anything cheap.. The major plus to the SBC is the stock block. 2 bolt blocks will handle 600HP while 4 bolt 010 blocks will handle 1000hp with a safe tune. Stock steel crank and rods will handle 600hp and parts to handle even more are reasonably cheap.

It may sound like i'm a chevy guy but that's not entirely true. I'm a car guy in general and it really doesn't make any sense to argue about which brand is better. At the end of the day it's all just a pile of metal and it will only be as good as the person that puts it together. I've been building motors since I was old enough to understand a torque wrench and I can make just about anything fly

Old 09-21-2011, 08:48 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
Depends on what you want to do with it. Are we comparing the motors in stock form or based on after market parts?

If you are looking to make under 500HP or so I would say the Ford 351 is better. The ford has a much better oiling system which directs oil to the mains first then up to the heads. The heads are symmetrical and after market flow better than most chevy heads. Parts are plentiful and cheap. Down side is the 351 block is weak and most will fail just north of 600hp even on a turbo motor. Much lower if you plan to spray it. Stock rods, cranks and pistons will fail at a much lower HP number so after market internals are almost mandatory.

As for the 350 SBC. Stock head configurations are not the best but there are very good 23 degree aftermarket piece available or you can step up to 18 degree for even more flow. The oiling system is ok but does require an HV pump in anything more than a mild build. After market support is huge so you can get just about anything cheap.. The major plus to the SBC is the stock block. 2 bolt blocks will handle 600HP while 4 bolt 010 blocks will handle 1000hp with a safe tune. Stock steel crank and rods will handle 600hp and parts to handle even more are reasonably cheap.

It may sound like i'm a chevy guy but that's not entirely true. I'm a car guy in general and it really doesn't make any sense to argue about which brand is better. At the end of the day it's all just a pile of metal and it will only be as good as the person that puts it together. I've been building motors since I was old enough to understand a torque wrench and I can make just about anything fly
You really should say "engine" (not "motor"). It sounds more professional to say "engine" and is technically accurate. (Cars have internal combustion engines, not motors, unless it's an electric car.)

Old 09-22-2011, 07:42 AM

859 posts, read 2,828,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You really should say "engine" (not "motor"). It sounds more professional to say "engine" and is technically accurate. (Cars have internal combustion engines, not motors, unless it's an electric car.)

Technically your are right. However.. Spend some time around car guys, race tracks, engine shops etc and see how many times your hear the word "engine". I'm going to guess never.

Motor is a slang term and engine doesn't sound any more professional. Almost makes you sound like a noob.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:07 PM

24,467 posts, read 25,999,509 times
Quote:
OMG. I agree with Fleet. Why, when you work with both as I did at the same time there's alot less confusion.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
Technically your are right. However.. Spend some time around car guys, race tracks, engine shops etc and see how many times your hear the word "engine". I'm going to guess never.

Motor is a slang term and engine doesn't sound any more professional. Almost makes you sound like a noob.
IMO, a person sounds like a noob when he says "motor" because it sounds like what an 8-year-old kid (who doesn't yet know the difference between a motor and an engine). would say.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:40 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
Does this mean GMC is in the electric motor business as is the Ford Motor Company? What about Motor Trend magazine or Indianapolis Motor Speedway? Ever replaced a motor mount?

How about this stuff?

I think johna had it right. Motor may be slang but it's universally accepted as meaning the engine.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Does this mean GMC is in the electric motor business as is the Ford Motor Company? What about Motor Trend magazine or Indianapolis Motor Speedway? Ever replaced a motor mount?

How about this stuff?

I think johna had it right. Motor may be slang but it's universally accepted as meaning the engine.
GMC car and trucks also have window and windshield wiper motors.

And I refer to them as engine mounts!

This does give me an idea for a survey, though...

Old 09-26-2011, 10:42 AM

934 posts, read 1,938,544 times
Quote:
IMO, a person sounds like a noob when he says "motor" because it sounds like what an 8-year-old kid (who doesn't yet know the difference between a motor and an engine). would say.

You don't spend much time around car guys, race shops, or the track, then. The reality there is quite the opposite. In places where guys actually get their hands dirty working on cars, no one would raise an eyebrow hearing, "motor." The terms are quite interchangeable.

But, don't let me interrupt your windmill-tilting any further.....because "whomever dies with the most Internet arguments wins."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive