Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Do You Get Your Parts?
Autozone 12 31.58%
Advance 7 18.42%
Other Chain Store(Pep Boys,Etc.) 4 10.53%
Internet Retailer 0 0%
Local Independent 7 18.42%
Various Retailers 8 21.05%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 02:58 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times

Advertisements

When i need a part after 6 or on a Sunday, the only choice is the chain shops. I've found Advance to have 100% better service than Autozone. The Autozone's in my area seem to be incapable of staffing their checkout counter properly, and the attitudes of their employees is generally indifferent. I prefer to shop at an independent, but Advance seems pretty good for a chain and i don't dread shopping there.

Where do you normally get your parts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 03:44 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
I'd prefer to hit up a local parts store, but the closest one to me is O'Reilly's, so that's where I get almost all my parts.

Weirdly enough, I've been pretty happy with both their prices and selection, as well as their service. What's more, the best parts man is a woman.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:12 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,189,487 times
Isn't Advance what used to be Trak Auto? Every time I went to Trak, they didn't have the wiper blades, oil filters, etc I needed for my car. Advance took over and nothing changed at all except for the sign. I get all my parts from local (Arlington VA) independent Cherrydale Auto Parts. They always have whatever I need and help with my questions. 15% discount for cash. Another good sign - their delivery truck can be seen frequently in many service stations, mechanics' shops and auto dealers in the area.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:28 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
I go to what ever is convient to me.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:38 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,058 times
I live in a small mountain town. The NAPA here is great.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:41 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
I like autozone. I like the return policy, the lifetime guarantee and many of the parts and the store hours. I also like how I can hop online and see if the part is in stock without having to make a phone call. If it's not, the website can tell me the next nearest store.

Why so many of the independents around here want to close at 6pm on weeknights, noon on Saturday and closed all day Sunday is beyond me. When do people work on their cars?.... Evenings and weekends (when you're most likely to go get parts).

Old 11-08-2009, 04:53 PM

563 posts, read 929,727 times
Since I have an Advance about 10 minutes away, I usually go there. Otherwise, Summit Racing online for performance parts, and Sears for tools. Advance has always been good to me, I can't say anything bad about them.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:13 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Why so many of the independents around here want to close at 6pm on weeknights, noon on Saturday and closed all day Sunday is beyond me. When do people work on their cars?.... Evenings and weekends (when you're most likely to go get parts).
EXACTLY!!! i've always thought the same thing about motorcycle dealerships that aren't open on Sundays and have limited Saturday hours. you can't imagine how many hundreds of dollars i have spent at motorcycle dealerships many many miles from my house because they're the only place open on a Sunday to mount a new tire, change the oil, or maybe just impulse shop some new gear because i have nothing else better to do.

Mike

Old 11-08-2009, 05:18 PM

24,463 posts, read 25,999,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I like autozone. I like the return policy, the lifetime guarantee and many of the parts and the store hours.
Remember, their warranty (along with other parts houses) is a "limited warranty."

Old 11-08-2009, 05:58 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Isn't Advance what used to be Trak Auto?

I don't think so, Trash Auto was locally owned by the Haft family (Dart Drug, Crown Books, etc)....I think Advance just took over some of Trak's locations when they went belly up.

I go to Advance (or Pep Boys or Autozone) for bulbs, oil, filters, coolant, etc....but to independents (usually JK) for behind-the-counter stuff.

I could be wrong, but I think the independents carry a better line of aftermarket parts...especially the re-manufactured stuff. Re-manufacturers are NOT created equal! I suspect that national chains would go for the best price, not necessarily the best parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive