U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 11:49 AM

14,097 posts, read 13,160,832 times
Default 2011 Buick Regal

Revealed: 2011 Buick Regal
Basicly, it's a shorter wheelbase version of the 2010 Lacrosse which isn't a bad thing. They said they're marketing it as a sports sedan. OK, but why only four cylinder options? According to the article they're only going to offer either the 2.4L at roughly 173hp or a 2.0L turbo. If they use the GM direct injection 2.0 turbo then that would be fine depending on the car's body weight. But wouldn't GM's new 3.0 direct injection V6 have been a better choice for this car which is suppose to be smaller than the Lacrosse? The 3.0 is the Lacrosse base engine and it has pretty good horsepower and fuel economy. The article said the Regal will only have one trim but with an optional engine. Personally, I don't think this car should be called a Regal. Between the Lacrosse and this car, I think the Lacrosse is more a Regal than this car. They should have come up with a full or midsize rear wheel drive sports sedan and call that a Regal. Other than that, use a different or new name. If they're going to bring back an old name, this car should be a Skylark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 11:54 AM

2,546 posts, read 4,364,917 times
wow, another GREAT looking Buick! but for the life of me i cannot see where this fits in the lineup. what is it comparable to size-wise? what is its competition? with those engine options i could only guess it's comparable to maybe the Volvo S40, but it's hard to tell.

i also fully agree on the name. if anything, the Regal should be the larger car. the name says it all. i'm not sure about resurrecting the Skylark name, though. i think it would be in Buick's best interest to stop playing the 'nostalgia name' game and come up with something new. given how radically different this car is from the typical Buick, it seems only fitting.

but if Buick is trying to get some sort of sporty image from this car, they better get a manual transmission option and it better come with the more powerful engine!

Mike

Old 11-12-2009, 12:02 PM

14,097 posts, read 13,160,832 times
I wonder if it's to compete with Acura TSX? I'm not al that familiar with Acura's cars but I seem to remember one model that was virtually exclusively a screaming four banger but with great handling. I'm wondering if this will be along those lines. I think it's interior does match the sporting statement it's trying to make while it's exterior looks nice without trying to look like a kiddy racer or all those other "go fast" body cladding that GM has tried in the past because looking fast was much cheaper than actually making it better quality and faster. Glad that mentality is going away at GM. Now its to see if their quality stands the test of time and they're willing to stand behind their work and fix mechanical problems as they find them rather than deny the problem exist, fix them only if they're brought it (usually right after the warranty expires), and don't change the problem until the next generation model.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:34 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,740,425 times
What do yall think about a Grand National model of the new regal for a limited time? Think they could pull it off or just end up screwing it up? I don't think it will happen and kinda hope it doesn't but I would like to see them go at it on a drawing board to see what a concept would look like today.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:49 PM

35,641 posts, read 53,260,049 times
Looks like they took an Opel Insignia and put a Buick snout on it, which isn't a bad thing.

As for the 2.0 turbo vs. the 3.0... the problem with the 3.0 is that it has a less than ideal MPG rating. The 3.6 actually has a higher rating than the 3.0 thanks to direct injection. The 2.0 turbo also has direct injection which allows it a 9.2:1 compression ratio, which in turn means it does not suffer the drop in mileage that non-direct-injection turbos suffer because of the need to lower the compression ratio. The 2.0 turbo is rated at 29-30mpg in the cars it's currently used in. The Regal would probably be about 300-400 pounds heavier and that will bring mileage down a bit, but the cars it's used in now are also aggressively geared toward performance. By using a lower final drive ratio, they could recapture much of the mileage lost to more weight.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:50 PM

2,546 posts, read 4,364,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
What do yall think about a Grand National model of the new regal for a limited time? Think they could pull it off or just end up screwing it up? I don't think it will happen and kinda hope it doesn't but I would like to see them go at it on a drawing board to see what a concept would look like today.
again, not a fan of bringing up these old names for a vehicle that has no affiliation whatsoever.

that being said, some sort of performance option for this vehicle would be great. notice i said 'performance option', not just some option with extra stickers, plastic, and badges.

Mike

Old 11-12-2009, 01:52 PM

35,641 posts, read 53,260,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I wonder if it's to compete with Acura TSX? I'm not al that familiar with Acura's cars but I seem to remember one model that was virtually exclusively a screaming four banger but with great handling...
That 4-banger has since been ditched in favor of a V6.

ETA: eh, looks like the 4-cylinder is still around but there is now a V6 option.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:11 PM

9,006 posts, read 11,737,590 times
they should of made it AWD to compete against the mid-sized subaru's impreza and legacy models and the new ford fusion AWD instead of just FWD

Old 11-12-2009, 03:18 PM

5,795 posts, read 4,396,340 times
On the powertrain, the real question is why are they going with a 220 HP 2.0L. The LNF out of the Sky/Solstice puts out 260 HP in stock trim, and the GM Stage 1 kit will boost that to just shy of 300. That would definately be more performance oriented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
they should of made it AWD to compete against the mid-sized subaru's impreza and legacy models and the new ford fusion AWD instead of just FWD
Although an AWD option would be nice, I think GM would rather this car be seen as an alternative to an Acura TSX, Lexus IS, or similar FWD premium brand rather than a Subaru Impreza or Ford Fusion (Maybe the Mercury Milan would be more of a target competitor too).

Old 11-12-2009, 03:23 PM

9,006 posts, read 11,737,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
On the powertrain, the real question is why are they going with a 220 HP 2.0L. The LNF out of the Sky/Solstice puts out 260 HP in stock trim, and the GM Stage 1 kit will boost that to just shy of 300. That would definately be more performance oriented.

Although an AWD option would be nice, I think GM would rather this car be seen as an alternative to an Acura TSX, Lexus IS, or similar FWD premium brand rather than a Subaru Impreza or Ford Fusion (Maybe the Mercury Milan would be more of a target competitor too).
yeah but imagine like you said if made a sporty special edition that made 300HP and had AWD it would be aimed at the legacy GT and lower end audi A4 buyers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive